U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 AM

17,062 posts, read 8,812,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
For me the only turbo Id want would be a twin turbo V6, so it would be more complicated than a NA engine. I dont want another buzzy 4cyl, turbo or not.
The only 4 cyl motor that I like the sound of is the turbo 4 in the Fiat Abarth....they somehow made a 4 sound pretty good, not sure why no one else seems to be able to do that.

The 2.0 turbo 4 in my BMW 228I is really quiet and wife loves that about it...unfortunately, these are all dinosaurs waiting to be eaten by battery motors in the future with no sound.

As I posted earlier, I still prefer a V6 over a turbo 4 other than the fact that you can minimize the space for packaging the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 04:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,249,361 times
I'm not sure about other makes - but the T-GDI engines on Kia/Hyundai vehicles can be just as reliable as a NA motor by simply changing with a quality oil, preferably PAO base synthetic Group IV/V oil every 5000miles and also replacing oil filter with a genuine one .

More importantly is the cool down time - now this is a simple 60 second idle before shutdown.
Never turn off a turbo engine after flogging it without first letting it cool- this will surely destroy the turbo.

Last edited by yowps3; 02-26-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,011,987 times
I have a Silverado with a 5.3 V8. It is 4wd and averages 21 to 22 mpg in combined driving. It has plenty of power and is very smooth. Why would I want a V6 turbo instead?

Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 AM

14,162 posts, read 30,369,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I'm not sure about other makes - but the T-GDI engines on Kia/Hyundai vehicles can be just as reliable as a NA motor by simply changing with a quality oil, preferably PAO base synthetic Group IV/V oil every 5000miles and also replacing oil filter with a genuine one .

More importantly is the cool down time - now this is a simple 60 second idle before shutdown.
Never turn off a turbo engine after flogging it without first letting it cool- this will surely destroy the turbo.
They had a lot of issues with the electronic wastegate and leaking oil lines. I believe the oil lines may have even been recalled but not sure.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 AM

425 posts, read 98,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I currently drive a 2006 Ford Fusion V6. I am very happy that it has the V6 and not the I4, since I would have found the latter anemic. As it is, the car just about keeps up with today's traffic with about 220HP from the V6. I am not a lead footed driver by any means, but do enjoy having some passing power available on the highway.

This brings me to my question. Most of today's mid-sized sedans have traded the V6 option for a 2.x L turbo option. I am planning to buy a new mid-size within the next 1-2 years, and would need to buy one with a turbo to get decent power/acceleration. How reliable are these turbo engines? I have heard numerous horror stories of poor reliability with turbos. Also, do modern turbo engines deliver power smoothly as a V6 does or is there a big turbo lag present? I'll admit to never having driven a turbo engine before, but the options for a V6 mid-size car seems to be restricted to the Camry right now.
Focus on the torque and HP of the engine. Also, a CVT will likely be the transmission option. It is getting harder to find mid size vehicles with automatic transmissions.

Do not mistake a turbo in our modern cars as some wonderful, immediate power source. They are there because of CAFE standards, not to make your car more responsive.
Like others have said, modern turbos are extremely reliable.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 11,762,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Focus on the torque and HP of the engine. Also, a CVT will likely be the transmission option. It is getting harder to find mid size vehicles with automatic transmissions.

Do not mistake a turbo in our modern cars as some wonderful, immediate power source. They are there because of CAFE standards, not to make your car more responsive.
Like others have said, modern turbos are extremely reliable.
I have a buddy with a late model F-150 with the twin turbo V6 that he purchased brand new (around 2015). Both turbos needed to be replaced to the tune of about $3,800. He traded that P.O.S. on a new RAM with a real motor....5.7L HEMI.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:40 PM

425 posts, read 98,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I have a buddy with a late model F-150 with the twin turbo V6 that he purchased brand new (around 2015). Both turbos needed to be replaced to the tune of about $3,800. He traded that P.O.S. on a new RAM with a real motor....5.7L HEMI.
Perhaps, but Ford has sold about 500k of them. Diesel maintenance is also critical. You did not include any of that information. I have owned vehicles with turbos and they were fine. Especially the Turbo in my Volvo. Rock Solid, but that was back in early 2000, car model 850 GLT, year was 1997. I wish I had kept that one longer, but I traded it in and got a 4wheel drive vehicle. No turbo now.
Also, you realize that modern F1 cars have 1.6 litre V6 turbo engines. Those engines produce tons of power without problems.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:02 PM

17,062 posts, read 8,812,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I have a Silverado with a 5.3 V8. It is 4wd and averages 21 to 22 mpg in combined driving. It has plenty of power and is very smooth. Why would I want a V6 turbo instead?
No good reason I can think of, Ford has that V6 Turbo that does pretty well though. The current V8's with injection and modern technologies are fantastic...I have the Mopar 6.2L with the supercharger in mine but I've never gotten 22 mpg.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM

13,706 posts, read 43,816,717 times
Quote:

Well, the V-6 turbo *should* provide a small to moderate MPG improvement over the V-8. It should. With most drivers under most conditions.

That said, if you trade your current truck in for a newer one with a smaller turbo engine, unless you drive a lot of miles per year, you would almost certainly lose money on the deal. The gas savings won't pay for the new truck for many years, if ever. But you would have a newer truck with more electronic "stuff" on it, which you might consider a step forward (I don't, but you may).

Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM

91 posts, read 94,679 times
Quote:
I have a WRX with a turbo 2.5 boxer 4. It also averages about 22mpg in combined driving (on premium gas). It has waaaay too much power and will wipe the floor with a Silverado and lots of other cars. Why would I want a V6 (or God forbid a V8) instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or