U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:39 PM

578 posts, read 336,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
So....... being 62 years old with 19 years driving Turbo 4-cylinder cars only, where does that place me?
Please tell me one of those is/was a Volkswagen GTI. I think everyone should own one at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,242,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
So....... being 62 years old with 19 years driving Turbo 4-cylinder cars only, where does that place me?
You are just a kid out of puberty compared to my age!!! To answer your question, it probably puts you on the higher end of the intelligence scale, with an affinity for taking above average care of your automobiles.

Being experienced does not necessarily make one intelligent, learning from experience seldom makes one dumber, but listening to experience normally makes one wiser.

I've owned several turbos myself and wouldn't hesitate to own another if the price and timing were right.

To STL2006: Yes, owning a VW GTI is almost a requirement. Been there, done that too!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 PM

4,778 posts, read 7,316,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
That’s what my wife drives. She had a 2012 and now a 2018. Great car and the 3.6 is tried and tested. Highly likely the next generation Outback will do away with the 3.6 and have the 2.4L Turbo that’s in the Ascent.
Since the Legacy and the Outback are built on the same platform and have always shared drivetrains it is certain that the new Outback will have the same 2.4L Turbo (option) as the Ascent and the just previewed 2020 Legacy. As the new Outback will be 6-800lbs lighter than the Ascent which hustles to 60 mph in just under seven seconds it should be a good performer in its all new super stiff chassis.

My bought new in ‘01, 2002 WRX has had no problems whatsoever with its original turbo and it still performs like the punchy little car it always has.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:14 AM

1,241 posts, read 779,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You know that VW owns Porsche and Audi right and VW is one of the best at building vehicles on a platform basis right, meaning that the turbo on the Porsche is probably used on the Audi as well, they want their systems interchangeable. So really Porsche builds what VW tells them to build.
I'm sure VW tells Porsche how to build their flat six...

Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 AM

365 posts, read 364,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm sure VW tells Porsche how to build their flat six...

I've always wanted a 911 tdi.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 AM

16,991 posts, read 8,781,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I currently drive a 2006 Ford Fusion V6. I am very happy that it has the V6 and not the I4, since I would have found the latter anemic. As it is, the car just about keeps up with today's traffic with about 220HP from the V6. I am not a lead footed driver by any means, but do enjoy having some passing power available on the highway.

This brings me to my question. Most of today's mid-sized sedans have traded the V6 option for a 2.x L turbo option. I am planning to buy a new mid-size within the next 1-2 years, and would need to buy one with a turbo to get decent power/acceleration. How reliable are these turbo engines? I have heard numerous horror stories of poor reliability with turbos. Also, do modern turbo engines deliver power smoothly as a V6 does or is there a big turbo lag present? I'll admit to never having driven a turbo engine before, but the options for a V6 mid-size car seems to be restricted to the Camry right now.
I have a 2015 BMW 228I M-sport with a 2.0 Turbo. To me the advantage of turbo is that you can make a smaller and lighter motor with similar power as a V6 so it's more compact. From a driveability standpoint, I probably would prefer the old 6 cylinder because I prefer the power deliverability of the naturally aspirated motor more than a turbo although the turbo is nice power a split second after turbo lag.....the turbo lag today is very short, it's there but manageable.

With today's 2 litre turbos, you will have little lag and adequate passing power. I don't get much better mileage with the 2 litre turbo than an old V6. I think they have the reliabiiity down now on the turbos but I still think the V6 would win when you get up over 100K miles.

For reference, I currently drive a Grand Cherokee with a V6, a Charger Hellcat with a supercharged V8, and the BMW with the 2.0 turbo motor. As I indicated earlier, I prefer the old V6 over the turbo 4 except for the space advantageous but the turbo 4 does give you good power.

p.s. From a drivers standpoint, nothing beats a supercharged motor...that Hellcat motor is a gas.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 02-15-2019 at 06:44 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 AM

20,637 posts, read 11,108,596 times
The turbocharger is one of the greatest things to happen to the internal combustion engine. Itís nothing to be scared of. Imagine the world without the turbocharged Diesel engine?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM

3,032 posts, read 2,768,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The turbocharger is one of the greatest things to happen to the internal combustion engine. Itís nothing to be scared of. Imagine the world without the turbocharged Diesel engine?
I have one, 94 F-350 diesel with no turbo, it just plain sucks. It only stays on because it has a dump box and is used about 10 times a year.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:40 AM

300 posts, read 322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I currently drive a 2006 Ford Fusion V6. I am very happy that it has the V6 and not the I4, since I would have found the latter anemic. As it is, the car just about keeps up with today's traffic with about 220HP from the V6. I am not a lead footed driver by any means, but do enjoy having some passing power available on the highway.

This brings me to my question. Most of today's mid-sized sedans have traded the V6 option for a 2.x L turbo option. I am planning to buy a new mid-size within the next 1-2 years, and would need to buy one with a turbo to get decent power/acceleration. How reliable are these turbo engines? I have heard numerous horror stories of poor reliability with turbos. Also, do modern turbo engines deliver power smoothly as a V6 does or is there a big turbo lag present? I'll admit to never having driven a turbo engine before, but the options for a V6 mid-size car seems to be restricted to the Camry right now.

Wow, I don't know where you received your information. I have been driving turbo charged cars since 2005...

You can get out of the way of a large 18 wheeler safely. You can move in traffic safely. I have had a volvo since 2012, and no engine problems whatsoever! It is now 2019. Cars are better than ever before! Take the step!!

You will never go back to the chipmunks running on the wheel while you are praying you don't get hit!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,326,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No it doesn't.
[...]
2015 Lexus NX 200t F-Sport Compare Car 0-60 mph 6.9 2.0 turbo
[...]
2016 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport Compare Car 0-60 mph 6.8 NA 3.5V6
[...]
NX 200t is a 235-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder,
RX's standard engine is a 295-hp 3.5-liter V6
[...]
With RX being roughly 300 lb heavier.
[...]
So no, it does not.
Oh, oh, I can play that too.

Ariel Atom 4. 0-60 2.8s. 2.0L turbo 4. That's faster than every other car mentioned in this thread, and faster than any NA v6 sold in north american today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or