U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 AM

3,584 posts, read 987,085 times

Advertisements

[quote=Vic Romano;54437740]I'm sure VW tells Porsche how to build their flat six... [/QUOTE

Yes they do they own it they can tell Porsche exactly what to build and they own them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 AM

1,471 posts, read 416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Volvos have great power and acceleration, without the turbo, if you don't mind a Volvo.
The new Volvos look really good actually. Im a muscle car guy and I would consider one of those. Especially when Volvo plans on making more all electric vehicles.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,183,443 times
[quote=easy62;54439774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm sure VW tells Porsche how to build their flat six... [/QUOTE

Yes they do they own it they can tell Porsche exactly what to build and they own them.
The problem with your argument is that Porsche Automobil Holding SE controls 52.2% of VW and members of the Porsche family are on the board. You actually have who runs the show backwards.

However, each auto group that is controlled by them has their own designers, engineers and other staff and operate as independent companies. They are just all majority owned by a holding company.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM

[quote=dijkstra;54440044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

The problem with your argument is that Porsche Automobil Holding SE controls 52.2% of VW and members of the Porsche family are on the board. You actually have who runs the show backwards.

However, each auto group that is controlled by them has their own designers, engineers and other staff and operate as independent companies. They are just all majority owned by a holding company.
You got your information wrong my Nephew works for VW the corporation not a dealer he knows what VW owns.

Volkswagen swallows Porsche

https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-buys-porsche

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Porsche does a lot of engineering and testing and actually builds their engines to hold up under the additional stresses of turbocharging. Other manufacturers tend to just take a current production engine and bolt a turbo on. Those are two completely different worlds and you know what is most likely going to happen if you just take an off the shelf engine and slap a turbo on. Porsche is the one who developed the variable turbine turbos that greatly reduce turbo lag by changing the angle of the blades as the load increases/decreases. They do their homework and build a quality product unlike some of the others. Toyota is really good about doing the engineering and testing as well.
We should all drive Porsches, only a little tongue-in-cheek. My best pal is about to trade in his BMW X5, with tons of miles and transmission (and everything else) about to detonate. I've got him eyeballing Cayenne Turbos, which are surprisingly cheap once about 5-6 years old.

But hey, C-D: tellya whut I'm gonna do, I got a deal fer you! Extra-clean BMW X5, best price today only, driven by a little old lady(*) from Pasadena, err, I mean Birmingham EN, on weekends(*)...

(*)Lella Lombardi, 1976 British Grand Prix qualifier!

Anyway, hope you're right about Toyota and testing of forced induction. If my supercharged Tacoma blows up, will be a bad day. It shows no signs of wanting to do so, yet. Superchargers totally work, at the expense of mileage: 10% in my case, vs. previous.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,183,443 times
[quote=easy62;54440727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

You got your information wrong my Nephew works for VW the corporation not a dealer he knows what VW owns.

Volkswagen swallows Porsche

https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-buys-porsche
The article in your link is 7 years old and way behind recent changes. Your Nephew obviously doesn't keep up with current events within the company. He is behind a few years: https://europe.autonews.com/article/...che-generation

Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM

[quote=dijkstra;54441456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

The article in your link is 7 years old and way behind recent changes. Your Nephew obviously doesn't keep up with current events within the company. He is behind a few years: https://europe.autonews.com/article/...che-generation
I’ll have to point that out to him thanks he’s at VW office in auburn hills Michigan, he’s never been to Germany yet but has been to their plant in Tennessee many times. And all i do know is that VW is the largest automaker in the world though the do own allot of car brands.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,399,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Our 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo, now coming up on 70K miles, has been mechanically perfect. No turbo problems at all, ever.
I wish I could say the same about the sensors and computers! The next time a computer fails, the vehicle goes to the salvage yard!
My 1999 Dodge Ram has 410K miles on it, never had a turbo problem.

"I coulda had a V8!" Yep, look for a vehicle with a V8, no turbo. Dodge and Jeep make some nice ones!
Except then you'll have to buy or lease a Dodge or Jeep to waste money on fuel.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM

51 posts, read 24,459 times
I have an 09 BMW 335i with twin turbos and 131k on the odo and have driven this car across the country twice now without one single problem whatsoever. I can embarrass most so called muscle cars out there without the gas peddle even getting to the 3/4 mark. I take care of my car though and don’t pound it into submission every time I drive it. One thing I really like is that it has an oil temp gage and I monitor that carefully and never get into the higher rpms until it reads 190-200+
In this day and age I wouldn’t be concerned whatsoever about buying a turbo charged vehicle, and if it were me doing the buying it’d be my preference.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:43 PM

3,032 posts, read 2,768,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Oh, oh, I can play that too.

Ariel Atom 4. 0-60 2.8s. 2.0L turbo 4. That's faster than every other car mentioned in this thread, and faster than any NA v6 sold in north american today
The 2019 GT3RS with flat 6 no turbo is faster then prior model which did it in 3.0...so you may be wrong about that. And it's not a glorified go kart with no roof.

Last edited by wamer27; 02-15-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or