U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 AM

1,598 posts, read 3,087,093 times

Advertisements

I currently drive a 2006 Ford Fusion V6. I am very happy that it has the V6 and not the I4, since I would have found the latter anemic. As it is, the car just about keeps up with today's traffic with about 220HP from the V6. I am not a lead footed driver by any means, but do enjoy having some passing power available on the highway.

This brings me to my question. Most of today's mid-sized sedans have traded the V6 option for a 2.x L turbo option. I am planning to buy a new mid-size within the next 1-2 years, and would need to buy one with a turbo to get decent power/acceleration. How reliable are these turbo engines? I have heard numerous horror stories of poor reliability with turbos. Also, do modern turbo engines deliver power smoothly as a V6 does or is there a big turbo lag present? I'll admit to never having driven a turbo engine before, but the options for a V6 mid-size car seems to be restricted to the Camry right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM

2,059 posts, read 848,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I currently drive a 2006 Ford Fusion V6. I am very happy that it has the V6 and not the I4, since I would have found the latter anemic. As it is, the car just about keeps up with today's traffic with about 220HP from the V6. I am not a lead footed driver by any means, but do enjoy having some passing power available on the highway.

This brings me to my question. Most of today's mid-sized sedans have traded the V6 option for a 2.x L turbo option. I am planning to buy a new mid-size within the next 1-2 years, and would need to buy one with a turbo to get decent power/acceleration. How reliable are these turbo engines? I have heard numerous horror stories of poor reliability with turbos. Also, do modern turbo engines deliver power smoothly as a V6 does or is there a big turbo lag present? I'll admit to never having driven a turbo engine before, but the options for a V6 mid-size car seems to be restricted to the Camry right now.
It's not the 1980's. A turbo is as reliable as any other engine.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:37 AM

5,195 posts, read 5,228,534 times
You will receive all sorts of opinions here about turbos.

If you trade/sell every few years then it doesn't make much difference as to durability and maintenance costs.

I will never ever purchase any vehicle that has a turbo. No matter how much screaming done here about how durable the new engines and turbos are. It's just another expensive component that can break. And placing more stress onto a small engine.

All of my automobiles for the past 20 years have been 4 cylinders naturally asperated and have driven just fine. With the exception of my Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable - that had V6 engines. The original Taurus/Sable - that ended in 2005 or thereabouts.

Again, if you trade/sell every few years - makes no difference. As you probably will never face any major maintenance issues.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,242,449 times
I have owned turbo cars, but with that being said, I'm a normally aspirated fan because despite the reliability claims common sense tells you:

More moving parts ='s more things to break or service.
Faster moving parts ='s more wear and tear on components

Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM

1,471 posts, read 416,255 times
The turbo engines are fine, theres no epidemic of breakages from the manufacturers.

I had a 89 Mazda with a turbo in 1997, and I never had an issue with the engine. The car came with 60K miles, I drove it for 3 years.

The beauty of the turbo engines is the fuel economy.

I havent driven any new cars with a turbo, so I dont know if they still have the turbo lag.
But as far as I know the basic turbo hasnt changed. If you step on the gas and it downshifts, the turbo will kick in at 3000rpm and you instantly get your power.

You will have to test drive a few cars to see if they seem anemic to you, that you wont know until you feel it.
Or you can drive one, and based on its stats, you can avoid the smaller ones.

All you really have to make sure of is that you keep the engine oil clean.
If youre not good on maintaining your cars, and getting the oil changed on time, then dont get one.

Last edited by Harry Hemi; 02-13-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,409,735 times
There are other midsize sedans that still offer a V6... but usually with a turbo also. The Mercedes E450 is one, and the BMW 5 series also offers an I6 with a turbo. Cadillac XTS, Nissan Altima, Lexus ES350... all offer a V6 with/without a turbo.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-v6-cars

Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 AM

3,032 posts, read 2,768,890 times
Turbo isn't bad, but if you can find a V6 without one instead of a 4 turbo, I'd do that.

I'd look at the Camry and Avalon if it too has the V6 NA. Toyota is sticking with NA it seems. The F models have NA V8's while all competitors moved on to turbo V8's a few years ago.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:28 AM

14,125 posts, read 30,330,004 times
Just find a Camry with a V6 and call it a day. There will be no wondering about long term reliability.

Personally though, I wouldn’t even bother with new, in another year you should be able to find a CPO 2019 Avalon for the price of a new Camry.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 AM

9,388 posts, read 7,475,910 times
Our 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo, now coming up on 70K miles, has been mechanically perfect. No turbo problems at all, ever.
I wish I could say the same about the sensors and computers! The next time a computer fails, the vehicle goes to the salvage yard!
My 1999 Dodge Ram has 410K miles on it, never had a turbo problem.

"I coulda had a V8!" Yep, look for a vehicle with a V8, no turbo. Dodge and Jeep make some nice ones!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,026,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Just find a Camry with a V6 and call it a day. There will be no wondering about long term reliability.

Personally though, I wouldn’t even bother with new, in another year you should be able to find a CPO 2019 Avalon for the price of a new Camry.
Eventually, I'm sure Toyota will get rid of the V6 Camry. They have gotten rid of the V6 option in other models. Honda is phasing out the V6, Ford, etc...Pretty soon, NA engines will probably be a thing of the past, or made in limited quantities, mostly V8 options for performance vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or