U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:23 AM

13,943 posts, read 12,705,766 times

Advertisements

My mom tried the cheap car route twice, after one having an engine go after twenty thousand or so miles, and that was after a several hundred dollar transmission repair, and after the other having what ended up thousands of dollars in little repairs just to keep it going, and on top of being stranded during those times along with the tow bill, she bought a late model used and never had an issue since.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I have two examples...

Bought a 2000 Buick Century for $3000 about 4 years ago. It had 40k miles on it. Only replaced the tires and wipers. It's an excellent car for my daughter.

Have a 2005 Scion TC worth $3000. Has 120k miles on it. Runs like a champ and only major repair was new shocks and structs replaced.

No reason at all to buy a new car. Life is way too short and I work way to hard to have that much of my money depreciating every year. It makes no sense to me to buy new.
Yes, there is a reason; because you want to.

Life is way too short to run it by a cost benefit analysis.

One of my main motivations to get skills, education, and move up in business world was so I can afford things like new cars and a water front condo. If I had zero care about things like this, I could have skipped all of that and just worked a mediocre job as a cashier or something.

Old Today, 10:28 AM

2,592 posts, read 3,498,623 times
I have one now, bought a 2002 Infiniti Q45 from a seller on Craigslist for $2500 with 172K miles on it, it was super well maintained and had no issues. I'll drive it for maybe another year until I find something brand new.

Old Today, 10:42 AM

26,317 posts, read 50,870,898 times
I've owned a lot of vehicles and still have 50 right now... only 1 was bought new.

Learned a long time ago some will never buy into a Used Car... it is the same old Buying Someone Else's Problems statement since the first Used Car was sold.

For the rest of us, especially those that do not put a ton of miles on each year a Used Car can be very economical...

Thing is it takes money to buy used... where as every manufacturer at one time or another has sign and drive or little money delivers programs...

Some of the cars I own did not get good Consumer Report reviews yet in 18 years of ownership and hard miles have been flawless... like my 1988 Samurai...

Other cars that are said to be money pits have been very reliable... beautiful 90k Range Rover my Corp Executive friend bought brand new in 95... it had 100k on it and was going to trade it for a new Super Duty Truck... about 80k... best offer was $4500 which did not sit right with him...

I piped up and said for $4500 I will buy it... he looked at his wife and said DONE... a little over 3 years and no repairs... only oil change, wipers and one interior light bulb...

Old Today, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 1,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My mom tried the cheap car route twice, after one having an engine go after twenty thousand or so miles, and that was after a several hundred dollar transmission repair, and after the other having what ended up thousands of dollars in little repairs just to keep it going, and on top of being stranded during those times along with the tow bill, she bought a late model used and never had an issue since.
What was the late model used?

Old Today, 02:34 PM

26,317 posts, read 50,870,898 times
In High School I bought an old Plymouth Valiant with 105,000 miles... paid $800 for it.

Drove this car all through college and continued driving it for 20 years... that is 20 full years on a $800 car.

Over the years... I put on front brake pads, rears shoes, two batteries... tires 3 times.

It did conk out once... I stopped about a mile from home to buy gas and it would not start... the timing chain let go... had the auto service free tow home... less than $40 for timing chain and a Saturday morning and back on the road.

Two items of note... I live in California and rust is never an issue... I have turned down $2500 cash for my 1972 Valiant... which means I drove it for free except for gas...

I still own it today.

My co-worker bought a new top line Chevrolet Pickup... his sales tax is $8,000 and his license tag is close to $1,000

Just saying...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; Today at 02:59 PM..

Old Today, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwagon View Post
What was the late model used?
A Toyota Highlander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or