U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:19 PM

7,361 posts, read 13,059,122 times

Advertisements

I've never found their prices to be any better than any other dealership for used cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,575,524 times
I got my current car from Enterprise about 3 years ago. It's a good way to get a nearly-new car at quite a bit less than what it would cost brand new, and most of the problems people worry about are over-hyped. But of course do your homework, check the maintenance records and the Carfax report.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:27 PM

75,436 posts, read 67,251,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Has anyone bought a vehicle from e.g. Hertz? How did you like it?
My brother got a couple of those for his kids. I wouldn't do it; My impression is, they put up their lemons for auction. (Why else would they sell a rental that's only 1 or 2 years old?) Or one that a customer has damaged, but the company managed to hide the damage cosmetically.

I had one of those brother's kid's cars for awhile, & it was quirky.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,508,060 times
I've never owned a rental car, so no direct experience. But at least they're maintained on a schedule. Lots of vehicles out there aren't.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:36 PM

8,821 posts, read 6,510,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why else would they sell a rental that's only 1 or 2 years old?
Because when you rent a car, you expect something "new". Anything over 50k miles and about 2.. MAYBE 3 years old.. People will go down the street to another rental place.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 AM

13,939 posts, read 23,406,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Maintenance is something of a concern.. Hertz usually has their own people doing oil changes and the like and not sure how good a job they're doing on that. But.. Yeah, I think i'd give it a shot on cars.. Something like a truck from Enterprise.. I might have a little more hesitation about.. Someone trying to haul too much or similar.

Certainly immediately take it in to a dealership to have any recalls performed, because apparently rental agencies aren't getting those done. Of course, this costs you nothing other than time.

I think I'd probably have a transmission service done, just as preventive maintenance.

I have purchased vehicles from Avis as well as a number of corporate fleets through GE and Wheels. I would have no problems buying a vehicle through Hertz or Avis. However, I would not buy ANY used car without taking it to my OWN INDEPENDENT mechanic. Hertz will allow you to rent the car you are considering for three days which will give you plenty of time to test drive it under any circumstance as well as to take it to your mechanic.

Over the past two years, i have seen some compelling deals through Hertz on your basic vehicles like Toyota Corollas and Hyundai Sonatas and the like. They are far better than the prices I have seen on dealer lots or places like Carmax and their ilk.

There is a great misconception that all rental cars are "stripped down" models. These days, there are very few "stripped down" models as rental car companies cannot recover as much of their costs on the resale market. In many cases, like the Corolla and the Elantra, agencies are offering several different models of the vehicle.

One other advantage with purchasing rental cars from the rental companies is the sale is about as "no hassle" although occasionally, I have talked the price down a small amount. To the rental car people, they just want to move the car. It is a pleasant change from buying from a private seller who often has a unrealistic expectation as to what their vehicle is worth.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 6,412,703 times
Friend of mine buys cars from rental car companies for their used auto division. They run through maybe 1,000 per month.

Of that amount, less than a handful are problems--probably better than taking in your average used car on a new car purchase. For the problem cars, they either repair them, or take them back for the purchase price and then send them to auction--where, ironically, another used car dealer will buy them and sell them to the public, starting the cycle all over again.

Rental car companies take better care of their cars than do most private owners. If you don't believe me, peek at the inside of the cars parked next to you when you are in a parking lot--especially at the mall where "average America" shops. If the inside looks like that, imagine what the service record looks like. "Really, I didn't know I needed to change the oil every 10,000 miles. It has been 23,000 miles and the check engine light has been on for a couple months. Do you suppose it is okay/they will honor my warranty"?

My friend above bought a Corvette for himself on the same agreement from Hertz. Great car. No problems. He spruced it up and made a nice turn on the sale after driving it for a couple of years.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:25 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,871,404 times
Quote:
Thanks, good to know that.

But, what's a better way of buying used?

I see plenty of used ex rentals and many of them drove very well. Just make sure it has never been wrecked before and if possible get one still under warranty.

I got a 2012 Impala for about 14K with 29K in 2013 and retail it would have went for about 18K, but my rule of thumb is if it is a ex-rental, it MUST be 30% cheaper than the non retail versions, since the car will more than likely have probably 40-50K on it as a former rental, but you can tell within a year or 2 if it will last.

My Impala had 1 issue when i drove it home and the harness was repaired for free and then went 5 yrs with no issue until the fuel pump failed and thats been the only issue, so former rental can last if taken care of and not abused, but ve prepared for mirror of seat motors to start flaking after about 5yrs, sine they were used by 50-100 people in that 1 yr as a rental.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM

3,032 posts, read 2,768,890 times
Quote:
Thanks, good to know that.

But, what's a better way of buying used?
A lease return with a CPO. If you just want cheap, then it seems rentals are the way to go.

Last edited by wamer27; 02-15-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 05:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 2,768,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
On average this is a really awesome way to throw really good money to the wind, just to see what might happen. Will it blow North? Will it blow South? Will it blow East? Will it blow West? One thing is certain, there will be a good chance that it will BLOW.

I'm nearly 100% certain that one could come up with about a billion different and far better ways to BLOW perfectly good money.

Hell, might as well just "rent" the same rental, drive to Vegas and BLOW it all there. She's gonna BLOW one way or another. Might as well have some fun BLOWING it.

I'm sure people buy rentals effectively enough, however. The business model would not be there, if there were not sufficient demand to support it. If you can get the final purchase price down to an absurdly low level - I'm talking cheaper than dirt itself - and full warranty transfer - then I might hallucinate the notion of actually doing it. However, I'd need to be so hard pressed for a vehicle in order to make that deal happen. Else, I'm just looking to get into a mechanical hassle caused by the rampage driving habits of the typical renter. I cannot expect that vehicle to properly cared for, properly maintained, or adequately pampered enough for me to invest in it. I must assume those things are true from the word go and then start discounting the price from there.

If you can, be patient, continue to save and you can have sufficient funds ready for a solid down payment on a new vehicle, or if you are patient enough (assuming budget is an issue here) you can pay cash outright for a new vehicle from the dealer.

I change full synthetic Amsoil in my vehicles every 5,000 miles religiously. Dirty oil or not. Brake fluid gets replaced and lines purged ever 10,000 miles religiously. Coolant gets flushed and replaced every 10,000 miles regardless of what anybody says. Both air filters are replaced every 7,000 miles. Fuel lines and fuel filter are checked every six months like clockwork along with all belts and hoses every 10,000 miles. Rotors and pads are replaced (regardless) at 80% - no questions asked. Chassis is lubed and all polymer bushings are treated like clockwork every 7,000 miles along with a full tire rotation. Zero mechanical issues thus far. Zero damage history thus far. I do all my own maintenance at a local DIY shop.

The next owner who buys my vehicle used will be getting something that was well maintained on purpose. Compare that with the maintenance routine, mechanical and damage history associated with the typical rental and this becomes the prime reason why the final sales price should be less than the cost of a bucket of dirt - because you'll have to assume that the vehicle (rental) was treated like dirt from the beginning by renters who went to Vegas themselves and tore up both the town and the rental.
The amount of money and time you waste on this will be more then replacing things that will maybe break years down the road. Never mind, I thought you replaced belts and hoses every 10k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or