U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 AM

3,143 posts, read 7,999,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Hmm.. The price is right on that, but being a Hyundai.. I'd have been a little leery. Glad it worked out for them, tho. That price and that mileage would be hard to pass up.

I think I'd stick to the bigger manufacturers.. Ford, Chevy, Toyota.. I got the Heebies thinking about a Hyundai.. A Kia or.. Remember Hertz used to do alot of Mitsubishi's I believe.. Those give me the full blown jeebies.
At this point, Hyundai and Kia are included in the "bigger manufacturers" worldwide. I don't see any evidence to trust a Ford over a Hyundai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM

1,409 posts, read 813,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends in part on which company you buy from. The big name companies get rid of them at a certain age or after a certain number of miles. They take good care of them. Most are rented to people on business trips who drive to a hotel, then to a meeting then back to the airport.

The second tier rental companies - yes, I would not buy one from them.
Except in recent years, the top tier companies bought the second tier companies, so they have a place to send their hand me downs. Hertz -> Thrifty/Dollar; Avis -> Budget -> Payless; Enterprise -> Alamo/National. Not that I'm either for or against buying used rental cars.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM

10,806 posts, read 25,975,239 times
It depends upon the car, and the typical driver. If you're looking for a bread-and-butter rental sedan or crossover, most will tend not to be abused, since most travelers take the car to meetings, office buildings, and hotel parking lots, not a drag strip. The vehicles I tend to rent are treated the same as my own vehicles, and that's the case for the majority of rental car consumers who are renting for business, few turn into crazy people who want to damage a vehicle.

A friend of mine has parents/grandparents who as part of their investments own rental car franchises. When the children in that family were to get a car, they could select from the rental sales fleet, and had no major problems over any other used car of the same make/model. With some outlets, the cars that they keep tend to be the better of the fleet, as any problems are sent back to the manufacturer, which can then appear on the dealer's lots as "program" cars.

Hertz has a program where you can rent the car for three days, and if you don't like it, or it doesn't pass an inspection, you do not have to buy the car. I believe Avis has a similar program, where you can have a longer test drive and/or three day rental on that particular vehicle. That's a pretty good indicator that you can do your due diligence and determine what problems that vehicle may have. Enterprise has a program where you have seven days or 1k miles to return the car if you do not want it, but you have to buy it first.

If I were looking to buy from a rental outlet, I would know what I wanted, and stick to that, since you can research what cars you would like and their reliability, etc. I would not look at something I would never buy, like a Nissan Versa or Sentra, but would narrow to a particular type of car and then search the online inventory. Hertz also pre-lists vehicles as they are coming out of service, before they are on the lot, so that can help you to get a vehicle that you may prefer. Hertz, Enterprise, and Avis all have online inventory searches.

One thing to remember is that maintenance is performed on vehicles in a rental fleet with a larger company because the cars make money when they are on the road. If I get a maintenance light, or warning light, in a rental car, I will call the agency and arrange for a replacement vehicle, or if it's an oil change light, I will inform the return agent, since an extra 100 miles over an oil change interval is not going to kill the engine. That's why any vehicle with warranty issues tends to get shipped out, since fleet customers need to be kept happy, and they cannot make money from an asset that is constantly under repair.

I would think a rental agency for a regular car that is well maintained should be equal to a private party, although the manufacturer certified vehicle (from a reputable CPO program that's worth it) would rank at the top, and at the top of the range. If a rental vehicle was in good condition and at a good value, it could even be a better price than a private party, especially if you're looking at a newer vehicle that may be financed by the current owner, which can cause title hassles as they do not have it on hand, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM

5,195 posts, read 5,232,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends in part on which company you buy from. The big name companies get rid of them at a certain age or after a certain number of miles. They take good care of them. Most are rented to people on business trips who drive to a hotel, then to a meeting then back to the airport.

The second tier rental companies - yes, I would not buy one from them.

Also I might avoid buying one of the low end cars. Those are the ones the kids rent.
All goes back to where the cars were rented from.
First tier or second tier. They are all trashed. If from a large city or Vacation destination.

In fact the first tier many times owns the second tier.

Yes there are business men and women who just go from point A to point B. But then there are the families with dozens of suitcases and bunches of kids eating and spilling in the back seats. They will use first tier or second tier depending on income basis.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,415,041 times
We had some experience with our recent shopping.
were looking for a used RAV4, 2017 or 2018 model.

Enterprise was overpriced. We looked at Hertz and Avis. Their pricing was fine. The mileage on the cars were from 15k miles to above, generally around 25-30K miles.

You reserve the particular car you want, go check it out and get a free 2 hour test drive. Then you can rent it for three days before buying. We looked at 4 cars, 2 at each/we did not get to the test drive as all cars had some scratches that were not acceptable to my wife. Hertz cars had the floor mats, Avis were stripped down. They could not promise the 2nd set of the keys either.

While we were looking, there was a lease return 2018 at the local dealer with 7.5K miles and CPO. The car was clean with some added stuff (rubber floor mats, roof rack, cargo cover/etc). It was priced around $2K higher than the ones at the rentals (but less miles-there it was 25K miles & CPO with full warranty). So we negotiated a bit and bought the CPO from the dealer.

All in all, I will still consider the rental used ones a decent choice, esp if it was for myself-commuting rather than a family car where the cosmetics was important esp to the wife.

I checked the rentals and there were no accidents, engine bay/etc felt to be decently maintained.

Also, you don't deal with a car salesman, someone gives you the keys and leaves you alone.

They provide one year powertrain warranty, but not sure if that is a whole lot.

Sometimes the cars were from out of state but I figured a way to check the VIN on CA DMV site and skipped on out of state cars-not sure what but that's me

Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,371,768 times
I’ve bought several hertz cars that were previously rentals. All cars were just almost hitting the 1 year mark , had very low mileage. My current and previous car were previously Hertz rentals and we bought my son (a Toyota Corolla) and daughter (a Toyota Yaris) through Hertz. His car had 12K miles on it and my daughters had 11K. All have been excellent cars.

The cars were all maintained well and had no body/interior damage (except one car had scratches where you insert the key into ignition). All had floor mats. All cars came with only one key except my son's (he got 2 keys). We’ve had no mechanical problems, just regular maintenance.

We used their “rent to own” program where you select the car you want, rent it for a weekend, and then either return or purchase. I used their website to select the particular car I wanted and moved fast when the car I wanted showed up.
My next car and my daughters will be from Hertz.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM

1,275 posts, read 551,665 times
Enterprise's Oregon dealership has five identical white 2017 Subarus for sale:

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/li...play_price,asc

The thing is, the "no-haggle" prices are around $22,000.

The MSRP for new (2019) ones is slightly over $26,000.
Perhaps they're actually selling for more than that,
but if not, why would I buy a used one when I could
buy a new one for a few thousand more?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:36 PM

834 posts, read 562,692 times
Not only did I purchase a rental car it was in an accident! I bought it at 6 months old w/ 8k miles on it for $6500 less than it would of cost me new. The car was fixed prior to my purchase and was not a salvage or rebuilt title. You need to get a thorough inspection. My guy was checked the pain thickness, the car was repainted. It has no frame damage and it drove like brand new. Almost 3.5 years later and 42k miles car still runs and drives like new. I am currently searching another rental to buy.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM

3,143 posts, read 7,999,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The thing is, the "no-haggle" prices are around $22,000.

The MSRP for new (2019) ones is slightly over $26,000.
Perhaps they're actually selling for more than that,
but if not, why would I buy a used one when I could
buy a new one for a few thousand more?
That's the case with any late-model Subaru though, isn't it? They hold their value well.

This doesn't seem like an argument against buying rental cars. It seems more like an argument against buying any 2 year old Subaru.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 PM

7,454 posts, read 15,675,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Where the rental was located might play a part as well.. I'd have alot more concerns buying a car that had been up north in the salt, or even in a place like western NC/eastern TN with all the mountains and all.
Keep in mind that the big national players reposition their fleets from season to season in order to meet demand patterns. (And you can actually get some cheap one way rates if you're willing to, say, drive a car into Florida in November or out of Arizona in late April) The last time my parents were in Florida in winter, the license plate of their car said Oregon, and when we went on vacation in Utah last summer, the Camry we got had a Texas license plate.

As for Subarus, yeah, they depreciate very slowly in general, in part to limits on production that make it hard for the company to meet demand for new vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or