U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 PM

13,943 posts, read 23,411,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The idea that you get low mileage, newer cars is mostly a fallacy. Rental companies keep cars longer now and put way many more miles on them. Especially in the high volume places, like Florida. I drove a 2018 Explorer this weekend as a rental with 27K on the odometer. The interior was trashed and it had several noises that it made going down the road.

This weekend, I was at the Hertz Car Sales in Scottsdale and they had a number of 2018 Toyota Corollas with under 20k miles. Most of the vehicles on the lot were 2017s with 35k miles which are not exactly high mileage.

Wherever you buy any used car, you should have the vehicle inspected at your local trusted mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 PM

13,943 posts, read 23,411,101 times
The real irony of this thread is that MANY of the late model vehicles on used car lots (under 40k miles) were either from rental or corporate fleets and purchased by the dealer at either Manheim or Adesa auctions.

A dozen years ago when I was a fleet manager, I walked through a Ford dealer lot in the Midwest and pointed to my brother ten used vehicles that were old rental cars. Like usual, he cried BS on me. Sinee the principal of the dealership was one of his friends, he went back to check ... and had to admit that I was right.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 AM

22 posts, read 3,286 times
Thanks, good to know that.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:04 PM

2,513 posts, read 1,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The real irony of this thread is that MANY of the late model vehicles on used car lots (under 40k miles) were either from rental or corporate fleets and purchased by the dealer at either Manheim or Adesa auctions.

A dozen years ago when I was a fleet manager, I walked through a Ford dealer lot in the Midwest and pointed to my brother ten used vehicles that were old rental cars. Like usual, he cried BS on me. Sinee the principal of the dealership was one of his friends, he went back to check ... and had to admit that I was right.

This is true. I bought a month of Carfax in the early 2000s when car shopping, it wasn't common then to have the info posted. About 80% of the late model cars on lots I checked came back as from fleet or rental.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 PM

1,275 posts, read 553,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Enterprise's Oregon dealership has five identical white 2017 Subarus for sale:

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/li...play_price,asc

The thing is, the "no-haggle" prices are around $22,000.

The MSRP for new (2019) ones is slightly over $26,000.
Perhaps they're actually selling for more than that,
but if not, why would I buy a used one when I could
buy a new one for a few thousand more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
That's the case with any late-model Subaru though, isn't it? They hold their value well.

This doesn't seem like an argument against buying rental cars. It seems more like an argument against buying any 2 year old Subaru.
Yes, if those rental-car prices were the norm, it makes me wonder why anyone would buy a late-model used Subaru... might as well buy a new one.
Subarus are what I'm focusing on, so I haven't yet checked whether the prices on other makes of ex-rental cars are more buyer-friendly.

Last edited by NW4me; 02-20-2019 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or