U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 551,665 times

Advertisements

Has anyone bought a vehicle from e.g. Hertz? How did you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM

10,830 posts, read 7,683,366 times
When I sold cars our buyer would get off lease and former rental cars at auction to stock the lot and we didn't have any problems. In many cases the car was still under the manufacturers warranty so if there was something wrong with it it was repaired otherwise a quick cleanup and out onto the lot it went.

I think most people that rent cars today are doing so to get from point A to B on a trip and they don't abuse them along the way.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM

8,821 posts, read 6,510,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think most people that rent cars today are doing so to get from point A to B on a trip and they don't abuse them along the way.
Maintenance is something of a concern.. Hertz usually has their own people doing oil changes and the like and not sure how good a job they're doing on that. But.. Yeah, I think i'd give it a shot on cars.. Something like a truck from Enterprise.. I might have a little more hesitation about.. Someone trying to haul too much or similar.

Certainly immediately take it in to a dealership to have any recalls performed, because apparently rental agencies aren't getting those done. Of course, this costs you nothing other than time.

I think I'd probably have a transmission service done, just as preventive maintenance.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM

6,647 posts, read 3,697,912 times
Yeah if you rent a car for a cross country road trip they're not going to tell you to stop for an oil change along the way. So I wouldn't expect the best maintenance.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,968 posts, read 52,436,627 times
If you buy a typical average car like a Camry or Accord, you should be fine. What I would avoid is the performance/muscle cars, such as Mustang or Camaro, which renters are likely to have driven pretty hard with burnouts and other fun that's hard on the transmission, regardless of the maintenance.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:25 PM

25,736 posts, read 61,214,777 times
I looked at some. there were some apparent good deals. However their cars are all bland. they do not buy cool options or performance upgrades for the rental market. it you want to travel in a toaster, they can be a good deal. Just look carefully for signs of abuse. Most rental cars are used lightly and well maintained. Some are rented by frat boys. I am sure you can miss evidence of frat boy abuse, but sometimes you can see the gins of it.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:30 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,870,162 times
I always try to get them with 30K on them, so I have a few months to feel the car out and its still under bumper to bumper. Price point is always $13-18K as well.

My rule I have with former rentals though, is that is has any issue or anything doesn't feel right, like a vibration, clunk, sound or brake pedal feel, ALWAYS walk away. If the dealer selling it to you didnt have the decency to address those issues, who knows what else could be waiting to go wrong. What ive seen now a days is, unless its a blatant check engine light or very obvious mechanical issue, all other issues will typically be seen as, "this is the normal behavior of this car" and you are stuck with that issue, whether its horrible feeling brakes, yet a similar model doesnt feel like that or vibrations in the exhaust or engine or weird shifting from the transmission.

ALWAYS BE EXTRA PICKY with former rentals, outside of scratches or a minor stain here and there which will be a given,

Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 6,322,430 times
DO NOT BUY ONE.

Here's some insider info:

All rental agencies have agreements with really low end body shops to do collision and mechanical repairs. They use new parts but based off the labor rate they pay, don't expect quality repairs once you take off a bumper. Say the vehicle was rear ended. Looks good on the outside but once you take the bumper off, the rear body panel and impact bar could be damaged and you don't even know it til another accident or if you try to sell it to a dealer in the future.

It's almost like buying a salvaged vehicle.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 PM

1,275 posts, read 551,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
DO NOT BUY ONE.

All rental agencies have agreements with really low end body shops to do collision and mechanical repairs. They use new parts but based off the labor rate they pay, don't expect quality repairs once you take off a bumper. Say the vehicle was rear ended. Looks good on the outside but once you take the bumper off, the rear body panel and impact bar could be damaged and you don't even know it til another accident or if you try to sell it to a dealer in the future.

Thanks, good to know that.

But, what's a better way of buying used?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 PM

10,219 posts, read 14,713,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
DO NOT BUY ONE.

I actually have to confirm this. also, buddy owns body shop block away from Enterprise. They have several customers a week that damaged body and need to return car. So they pay cash for quick repair job, so that it passes superficial clerk inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or