U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 04:41 PM
Status: "Beto/Klobuchar or Beto/Harris 2020!!" (set 23 days ago)

7,033 posts, read 2,737,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

Let me give you an example - I have a Mercedes, and I am always being told that my pads need to be replaced. Car has 40k miles on it now, and I replaced all brake pads/rotors at 25k miles shortly after I bought it just because I wanted to. The dealership's cost to replace the pads/rotors - close to $3000. My cost to replace all pads/rotors with genuine Mercedes benz parts (not aftermarket) - $400 total.

Car went in to have a bent rim fixed at 30k miles. Guess what they told me about my front inside pads.....Yup, you guessed it. "Sir, our technician noticed that your inside pads on the front are completely worn down and need to be replaced - $800". He called me on my cell to tell me that, he didn't realize I was still in the dealership. I walked over to him as we were talking, and when he saw me, I insisted on seeing the car and be shown these worn out pads. Said it was against corporate policy to allow customers back in the shop area. I said "fine", I'd like to talk to the "technician" about this. When I talked to the technician about 30 minutes later, after he had clearly been advised to BS me about this, I asked one simple question - what could cause a brake pad on the inside of a rotor to wear out faster than the outside, that wouldn't be a defect with the braking system and therefore be a warranty claim item?

They said "sir, these pads only last about 30k miles, which is what you have on the car now".

I said "no, they last about 60k miles, but mine only have 5k on them, as if you even looked at it, you would easily tell those are all new parts on the car, AND THEY BETTER STILL BE THERE!"

Uh, uh, ummm, uh, well, uh, ummm....

Bring me my car, now.

I lit that place up on Yelp. I also filed a formal complaint with Mercedes Benz corporate about this dealership.
^^^Love. This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM

17,236 posts, read 10,587,289 times
I would like to believe that most repair shops are basically honest, and only recommend things for your own good, however, years ago we had a very strange situation with a local transmission shop that is no longer in business.

They ran an ad it the local paper for a transmission special, drain, flush and refill for some really good price. I could have done my wifes car myself, (I am a serious hobbyist and build cars from the ground up) but it was so cheap that it didn't make sense for me to do it myself. So I took her car in.

The technician put the car up on the rack, pulled the trans pan, and looked inside and said " Looks good to me, no metal shavings or anything", and I looked at it and agreed. He sat the pan on the side and continued working. A few minutes later, this 20 year old son of the owner comes by with his clip board in hand, and he looks into the pan and says " Oh oh, I see BIG TROUBLE here !" I asked what he meant and he said " Look at all these shavings, your transmission is on it's last legs !"

The technician gave me a look as if to say " What a liar!" and I told the guy, "No it is fine, just change the fluid and I am good to go." The technician did show me a shift shaft seal that was seeping a little oil, and I said "But you can change that seal , if you like." The kid said " NOPE ! You can take your car and leave, I will not fix that seal because you didn't want to have your transmission rebuilt here !" ( He was not nice about it)

About a year later, I was watching the news, and I saw this same kid being led out of his shop in handcuffs, they arrested him for bilking customers out of money on repairs they didn't need, and a few other charges !

Yes, there is a God in Heaven !

Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 PM

17,374 posts, read 18,878,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ive never replaced a head gasket, but bow can you tell if an engine had never been opened?

Usually there will be tool marks on the bolts, dirt will be disturbed or wiped off. Scratches on valve covers etc.

I had a dealer try and sell my wife a full tilt brake job, timing belt, accessory belt, oil change , all fluids flushed etc. about $12/1500 worth of work.
I was driving home and I drove straight to the dealer. It was AMAZING how when my wife was alone all of the “needed” repairs were now only “recommended” after I got there.
The brakes were at 40%. The timing belt didn’t need to be done until 100,000. The accessory belts were fine but “should” be changed. Why I didn’t know, the6 looked fine no frays or glazed spots.

I found a decent mechanic that I go to if I dont have the time but for the most part I simply DIY my repairs. I went as far as buying a lift. The lift has already paid for itself as the work I did so far was well beyond the cost of the lift.

I don’t mind paying for repairs. There is no need to lie and be dishonest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or