U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 AM

1,048 posts, read 515,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwagon View Post
If rustproofing often makes things worse, would the only thing that could prevent rust be frequent carwash?

For 10-15 year old cars with no rust, would that mean they have been washed frequently?

Not necessarily, I'm a fanatic on washing/waxing etc.
I assumed this would keep it at bay, so never bothered checking; until I saw paint bubbles on a panel.
This means there is rust about to pop through.
Then I jacked up the car, and spent weeks with a high speed wire brush removing the rest.
An on-going job my body shop will have to finish on that panel.

A bit of surface rust is normal, it's when you see flaking/cracking I would avoid purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 09:45 AM

25,668 posts, read 61,158,408 times
Quote:
If rustproofing often makes things worse, would the only thing that could prevent rust be frequent carwash?

For 10-15 year old cars with no rust, would that mean they have been washed frequently?
Not necessarily. It helps to wash the salt off, at least in theory. Very few cars get much rust anymore. A few do, there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some brands or models tent to rust more. Cars with plastic attachments glued or riveted to the body tend to rust. A good example of this for our family was my son's 1998 Ford Contour SVT. It had a bunch of body moldings stuck on it and rusted out along the moldings everywhere they were. that car also had a lot of frame rust. However newer cars (post 2005) generally have very little or no rust. In late 2014 I looked at several 2005-2009 Chevy Avalanche which have body moldings stuck on them but none of them had any rust. I ended up buying a 2009 RAM truck that was owned by an electrical contracting company. It was a field truck so it was probably not washed often. It had no rust then and none now, except the fasteners for the Nerf bar steps rusted away. The underside of the Nerf bars had some minor surface rust, the actual rust only affected the fasteners. I had to replace the Nerf bars, they cost $130. Much of the rest of the underside of the truck is still shiny. there is some surficial rust as you will get with any bare metal no matter what. Even a new car will have some surficial rust regardless of whether it gets exposed to salt. The rust you need to worry about is rust that is eating away at the metal. If the metal is pitted or flaking, you have problem rust. If you just see some rust coloring on the metal, it is usually nothing. You can brush it off and polish the metal if you wish it to be shiny again for a few months to a year.

Occasionally some vehicles will rust inexplicable. Sometimes you will look at six vehicles same year and model and five of them do not have a spec of rust but one has quite a bit.

We mostly buy used cars in our family. Unless I am looking at something really old (and really cheap) for a kid, I do not consider any vehicle with any rust. Just move on. There are always others with no rust. If I am helping a kid look at a $500 or $1000 car - of course there will be some rust holes. I mostly look at the frame/pinch welds, the door hinges, exhaust. Of course even if I tell them it is all rusty and they should move on, they may buy it anyway. When you have $800 for a car, you sometimes do not worry about the possibility it will rust through in a year. A year is all you can reasonably expect to get out of a car at that price level anyway. Odds are very good something else will break and send it to the scrap yard before the rust takes it out. rust through can take out a car, but it is rare (I had a Honda with rusted sub-frame that broke when I clipped a tree with the protruding lug nuts on the front wheel after someone force me off the road cracked the sub frame where it was weakened by rust and totaled the car. My sons, contour was so rusty you could not jack it up because the jack or wherever the point load was would push right through, so he had to use ramps or a lift to work on it.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:10 AM

2,039 posts, read 842,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
IIf rust is on the outside and greater than a 2 inch hole it has to be repaired in my state or you don't get an inspection sticker.
Wow - half the pickup trucks and SUVs I see during my travels in Cleveland wouldn't come close to passing inspection in your state.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM

927 posts, read 252,648 times
If you can see it, it's too much.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM

5,171 posts, read 5,211,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
If you can see it, it's too much.
Best answer yet !

Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM

17,035 posts, read 10,461,664 times
Quote:
If you look at the bottom of the car and there is a little rust, would that be ok as long as you rustproof the car every year?

edit: location is Midwest where it snows a lot.

Rust never sleeps. What is minor today will eventually be bigger. I have undercoated some cars that had minor rust with a product called Rust Convertor, it turns rust into something else and leaves a black finish. It isn't perfect, but better than doing nothing.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM

5,819 posts, read 6,660,737 times
Quote:
If you look at the bottom of the car and there is a little rust, would that be ok as long as you rustproof the car every year?

It really just depends what you're looking to get out of it. Is this a car you want to drive for 10 more years? Or is it just a way to get to work for the next year or so?

Old 02-15-2019, 05:34 PM

8,533 posts, read 5,797,510 times
Quote:

No, none!

Could be from snow..Could also be from flooding!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM

1,234 posts, read 774,771 times
Quote:

No. No rust is OK...

Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 PM

985 posts, read 569,220 times
rust on a used car = could have been in a flood..run..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or