U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 PM

28 posts, read 5,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I find the posts from people who don't live in the midwest or northeast interesting. Sure, we all have the luxury of buying a car with no rust. We may just need to travel. However, if you live where they use road salt that car you traveled so far to buy will have surface rust on the suspension, nuts, bolts, etc within the first week of driving on salted roads. So, you have to decide what's worth it to you. A perfect car that quickly turns into a typical winter car, or some museum piece. When I lived in the midwest I just sucked it up, bought a used car locally, and went on with my life.
When you sucked it up and bought a used car locally, did you see any rust and did the rust spread eventually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 844,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwagon View Post
When you sucked it up and bought a used car locally, did you see any rust and did the rust spread eventually?
Typically there was undercarriage / frame / suspension rust, as well as some brackets under the hood. I always had to repaint the hitch as well. Cars and trucks still worked great for a long time.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:27 PM

4,668 posts, read 11,748,025 times
Quote:
If you look at the bottom of the car and there is a little rust, would that be ok as long as you rustproof the car every year?

edit: location is Midwest where it snows a lot.
Do you mean all the parts and surfaces UNDER the vehicle (as opposed to the body panels)??

There will be visible rust UNDER every vehicle in the upper midwest. Don't worry about that. Rustproofing it won't do anything. Now if the body panels are showing rust, that is more of a problem as it will continue to deteriorate until it just flakes away leaving holes, and it is expensive to repair.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
No. No rust is OK...
Ever been under a vehicle from MN?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Ever been under a vehicle from MN?
A car or truck driven in a Minnesota winter without rust? Does such a thing exist?

Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM

13,694 posts, read 43,747,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
One data point:

My ex bought her Civic for what seemed a good price when there were just the first tiny signs of rust in the wheel wells.

Two and a half years later she took in to a scrap yard. In that time, the brake lines burst, clutch line burst, the bolt heads for most components under the car had deteriorated to the point where a torch was needed to replace anything, and the frame was getting swiss-cheesy enough that it wouldn't have been able to pass the next inspection.

It still wasn't a bad price to drive car for 2.5 years, but frankly I don't buy used cars in Vermont, I drive/fly south and bring one up which hasn't seen any of our winters yet.

Karma will get you for doing that.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
A car or truck driven in a Minnesota winter without rust? Does such a thing exist?
Nope.

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

28 posts, read 5,573 times
Quote:
I find the posts from people who don't live in the midwest or northeast interesting. Sure, we all have the luxury of buying a car with no rust. We may just need to travel. However, if you live where they use road salt that car you traveled so far to buy will have surface rust on the suspension, nuts, bolts, etc within the first week of driving on salted roads. So, you have to decide what's worth it to you. A perfect car that quickly turns into a typical winter car, or some museum piece. When I lived in the midwest I just sucked it up, bought a used car locally, and went on with my life.
How much rust did the car you bought locally have?

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
How much rust did the car you bought locally have?
Usually suspension rust. Maybe door corners or rock chips. But I personally couldn't bring myself to buy a car or truck with rusted door bottoms, rocker panel, or wheel well rust. Not because it is a problem for the car. I just didn't need to, even when I was fresh out of college.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,915,412 times
Quote:
How much is a good car wash and how frequently did you wash your cars with it?
I buy a car wash card 10 washes when they go on sale. It shakes out to about $8 for the top priced wash. There are 2 bays and in the winter I go to the no-touch wash because it has a major woosh underbody spray.

As far as frequency, it depends on the snowfall and salt put on the roads. Sometimes once a week and sometimes less. Depends on the winter.

I always buy used vehicles and make sure they are rust free. Once rust starts, it is hard to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or