U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

821 posts, read 372,884 times

Advertisements

I realize it's easy to say this, and cars in better condition cost more, but if you want to keep the car more than a year or two, I wouldn't buy one with visible rust beyond a rusty scratch. If you see extensive paint blistering or panel perforation, not a good sign. The body panels of today's cars are not just cosmetic, they play a structural role as well, so serious body rust is not just an eyesore once it becomes extensive. Of course rust in the chassis can actually be more serious, it's just harder to notice without having the car up on a lift.

I do think carmakers have gotten better with rust-resistant coatings, which both prevent initial rust and retard rust progression once the surface is compromised. Still, my early experiences with rusting cars (which I have to acknowledge were 30+ years ago) were not encouraging.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; Yesterday at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:27 AM

2,259 posts, read 1,915,412 times
Before buying a used vehicle, insist on having the vehicle put on a hoist so you can look at the underbody for rust. If the seller refuses, walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or