U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:32 PM

3,872 posts, read 2,037,073 times

Advertisements

As noted earlier, they are not headrests but head restraints. They are designed to keep your head from snapping back during a collision.

As for when this started, it was when the IIHS started testing head restraints dynamically back around 2004. At the time of their first tests, 54 of the 73 tested failed. Only 8 were given the highest score of good and those were Volvos, a coupld of Saabs, a Subaru, a Jaguar, and the VW Beetle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM

5,607 posts, read 9,002,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The tilt of Forester head rests can be easily adjusted. Just pull forward from the top of the headrest.
Thanks, but done that. The Subaru people demonstrated that for me. My head still bumps against it if I lean back a little. But I've gotten used to it. Sometimes I do need to rest up a bit in the car, and for that purpose I have one of those 1/2 donut neck travel cushions.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 PM

14,089 posts, read 30,270,811 times
I’ve seen many times where people remove the headrest and reinstall it backwards. It looks ridiculous when people do that.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM

130 posts, read 426,646 times
We traveled 2 hrs away with our son to pick up his new Camry last November. By the time we got back to his place my wife had a terrible headache form the rear headrest pushing her head forward the whole trip back. These things don't appear to be adjustable at all which really sucks for the passengers. At least the front seats are adjustable as far as reclining positions so you can lay it back some, so the headrest isn't as annoying in front.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,995,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You know you can pull up the headrest and install it the other way, and it shouldnt bother you anymore.
Great idea! Maybe you can give me step by step instructions. See pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Since when did cars start to have forward tilting headrest?-screen-shot-2019-02-15-9.40.39  

Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,397,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
We traveled 2 hrs away with our son to pick up his new Camry last November. By the time we got back to his place my wife had a terrible headache form the rear headrest pushing her head forward the whole trip back. These things don't appear to be adjustable at all which really sucks for the passengers. At least the front seats are adjustable as far as reclining positions so you can lay it back some, so the headrest isn't as annoying in front.
There are some that used to have front rests that had minimal ability to adjust. For a while I had searing neck pain with Nissan headrests. They were just tilted forward too much for me. Tilting the seat back some gives me horrible back pain because I lose the back support I need. I am 55 and pretty slim, while most seats seem to be built for a bigger tilt back than works for me.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:39 PM

6,718 posts, read 8,922,016 times
I owned a 73 Porsche 911. Back then the head rest was an added feature to old fashion low back seats. The head rest could be adjusted for up or down and from straight up to 90 degrees forward.
Being that I've experienced being rear ended, I had the head rest elevated to the back of my head and tilted forward 90 degrees.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM

4,207 posts, read 5,683,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I drive fairly upright - downfall of being short I guess. I can't wear a hair clip in my 2001 Ranger as the top of the seat tips forward (no separate head rest). I can even feel it with a ponytail. Incredibly uncomfortable. Had I bought the truck new I probably would have looked at other makes.
Was just dealing with the hair clip issue tonight! If I put it too low on the back of my head, it hits the headrest. I have to take it off, it's so annoying. (And that's annoying because my hair is already "done" for the evening and I have to do it over when I get where I'm going.) I originally thought there was something wrong with the headrest...my friend had said to me, WHY is your headrest going forward??? The service guy last time tried to remove it and put it in backwards but it won't work (2017 Acura RDX).

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

9,563 posts, read 4,323,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Biggest problem with those is that the manufacturers assume every person is 5'4" tall and can sit in those seats comfortably. Took me 2 or 3 weeks to get the seat set right in our Enclave so the headrest wasn't pushing my head down. (Thank God for memory seats) However, the headrests in my Mustang tilt far enough back so there wasn't any issue.
I'm just under 5'2" and find my headrest hits me in a weird spot even with the seat as high as it goes AND sitting on a pillow.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

14,089 posts, read 30,270,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Great idea! Maybe you can give me step by step instructions. See pic below
I dont see how in the world those headrests could possibly push your head forward. If they tilted back any further theyd press against the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or