U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

3,397 posts, read 1,995,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Was just dealing with the hair clip issue tonight! If I put it too low on the back of my head, it hits the headrest. I have to take it off, it's so annoying. (And that's annoying because my hair is already "done" for the evening and I have to do it over when I get where I'm going.) I originally thought there was something wrong with the headrest...my friend had said to me, WHY is your headrest going forward??? The service guy last time tried to remove it and put it in backwards but it won't work (2017 Acura RDX).
Yes! I have to wear a ponytail at the nape of my neck not to hit the seat. Mine is a work truck with no ac and I absolutely have to have my hair clipped or up somehow with the windows open. My headrest is built right into the seat (I posted a pic above), so the only way to avoid it is to recline the seat way back and that just causes other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t see how in the world those headrests could possibly push your head forward. If they tilted back any further they’d press against the window.
That wasn't my truck, and I posted it to show the other posted they are not removable or adjustable in any way. The one below is my truck and it's set how I drove it this morning. You can clearly see the seat is back but the hearest is still tilted forward. I'd prefer to drive with the seat more upright, but that brings the headrest completely into my head.
Attached Thumbnails
Since when did cars start to have forward tilting headrest?-img_1980.jpg  

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; Yesterday at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

14,262 posts, read 7,771,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I drive fairly upright - downfall of being short I guess. I can't wear a hair clip in my 2001 Ranger as the top of the seat tips forward (no separate head rest). I can even feel it with a ponytail. Incredibly uncomfortable. Had I bought the truck new I probably would have looked at other makes.
Another example of where only male engineers were working on the project and they did no testing with females either...unfortunately typical.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

3,397 posts, read 1,995,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Another example of where only male engineers were working on the project and they did no testing with females either...unfortunately typical.
Good point! Most men I know that wear ponytails, wear them low. I've never seen a man in a hair clip either. But apparently the engineers never tested it in a backwards baseball cap, cuz that wouldn't work!

Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,069,366 times
I have these miserable forward learning headrests in my Ford Focus. I am 5' 3" and my head hits right at the curve on them so I have to recline the seat further back than is really comfortable for driving or otherwise suffer some serious neck pain. Whomever came up with this design needs to be drawn & quartered, shot, flogged, and whatever other horrid forms of torture are out there :: They crunch you into an unnatural posture, especially your neck. Granted I have several compressed vertebrae due to an old injury in my neck but even people with no issues complain about the design of these headrests causing neck pain/headaches.

My husband has a 2016 Impala which also has the crappy forward leaning headrests but the seats are higher so my head doesn't hit the curve and they are more tolerable.

Most comfortable seats are in the 2000 Ford Windstar; they are captain's chairs with a headrest that doesn't lean forward.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 539,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I was just complaining about this while riding in a car last week. I finally had to lean the seat back more than I normally would to get the damn head rest to stop pushing my head forward. I was actually causing my neck to bother me and give me a headache.
Same here, and to the other point I sit upright, don't rest my head, and in my older car I don't have issues with the angle, but news cars give me a headache.

I've noticed this with newer airplanes too, and even an hour-and a half flight gives me headaches. Like like you in those cars I I end up having to put the seat back further than I would normally.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

3,457 posts, read 5,510,395 times
I've noticed Subaru drivers in particular tend to flip their headrest around...honestly, thought it was due to improper dealer prep the first time I saw it.

I'm kind of surprised so many people seem to really be bothered by this yet somehow didn't notice it on the test drive? I've noticed with seats having sooo much adjustability these days one setting a even a tiny bit off can really wreck havoc on the body.

I would try finding a completely comfortable seating position before resorting to flipping the headrest and potentially defeating their design benefits.

Old Today, 12:23 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,760,290 times
I never noticed the head restraint in my 2011 Honda Accord to lean forward, at least uncomfortably so. It has active head restraints and a Good rear-impact rating from IIHS, so it works well.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

1,281 posts, read 379,777 times
I have a 2008 Audi S4 Avant and the headrest looked like it had the ability to be adjusted for tilt. It bothered me at first because the top, back of my head would constantly contact the headrest a bit, just annoying. The service guy told me that they had been adjustable but that they began locking them in place to improve crash test results and therefore insurance rates.

Old Today, 12:32 PM

216 posts, read 185,638 times
About 2005 was when the first tilted headrests came out, due to whiplash requirements. Since then the active headrests are more popular, which aren't tilted forward as much.

I myself prefer the ones that ratchet forward or back, so I can adjust the angle I want if I want it closer to my head etc.

My new car has the ratchet type and I love it because if I want the seat leaned back a bit I can still have the headrest closer to my head for safety.

Turning the headrest backwards or removing it altogether is just dangerous, because then your neck can whip backwards in a crash. They're for safety, not comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or