U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:03 AM

10,493 posts, read 14,292,123 times

Advertisements

If a vehicle is taken off the road and the battery is disconnected, how long can the vehicle sit such that it would (or would no longer) start right up with a new battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:06 AM

14,259 posts, read 9,171,608 times
Somehow letting things sit inexplicably ruins them. Just this morning I decided to power up a laptop that sat unusued for moonths but was plugged in. Nothing.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

5,606 posts, read 12,358,942 times
Depends on how smart you are Howard. If you put a stabilizer in the gas, it can sits for over a year and start right up. My Bronco hasn't seen the streets in about 5 years. I start it a couple of times a year until I can finish the restoration. It does not have normal gas in the tank. I filled it with Gulf Racing Fuel before I started so it's non-ethanol. The Lincoln LSC in the garage has 34,000 miles on it. It's an 89 model. I started it last June. All I ever need to do to it is hook the battery back up and start it. Worse thing about any vehicle that sits like that are electrical gremlins sometimes pop up. For the Lincoln that would be the ground wire to the GEM but it's a simple remove, clean, and replace. The only other item is remembering to put a battery charger on the batteries once a month. Otherwise, a no brainer.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

25,606 posts, read 61,076,404 times
Put a battery tender on it. You can either bring the battery into your garage and connect it, or use a solar tender wherever the car is sitting.

If it is outside and hot where you live, put a solar powered fan in it with an opening to vent the heat out. Also cover the windshield.

Check the tires every now and again. If they run low they can be damaged.

If you want to be really cautious, pour some oil into the valve cover opening before you start it up because all of the oil will have settled into the pan and bottom of the engine. I am not sure that really helps, but I did it if it sat for more than a month. Seems like it would be good to have some oil at the top og the engine without waiting several strokes for the pump to bring it up. Better safe than sorry.

i used to leave a car sitting in a parking lot in California for months at a time. I did have a flat tire once that i had to replace the tire. I also had a homeless guy break into it and live in it for a week or so. I do not think I ever had a dead battery.

Old Today, 10:13 AM

2,006 posts, read 831,184 times
New cars can sit on dealer lots for 8 months to a year and it does nothing to them. Years? Sure. But a year? I'd expect the car to fire right up.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 2,380,999 times
The new cars on dealer lots get driven now and then. Any that sit long enough for the battery to die would get jumpstarted and nobody else would know.

Old Today, 01:15 PM

8,766 posts, read 6,462,229 times
I'd be more concerned with an older vehicle with a carburetor.. But, even those, so long as you keep a fuel stabilizer as Trapper mentioned.. I don't think it'd be a huge deal. Nothing that a spritz of brake parts cleaner wouldn't take care of quickly if there was a problem at all.

If it were to sit for years and years.. I think I'd drain the tank and.. Perhaps the coolant. Oil? Not sure.

Old Today, 01:26 PM

5,136 posts, read 5,189,978 times
The brakes will rust up depending on the climate in area.

Old Today, 01:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 10,420,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If a vehicle is taken off the road and the battery is disconnected, how long can the vehicle sit such that it would (or would no longer) start right up with a new battery.

I have 6 collector cars that we maybe drive once or twice a year, and a couple that we only drive every few months. All of them are on Battery Tenders that keep the battery fully charged without overcharging it. I just took my one car out that I haven't driven in 8 months, and it fired right up, and ran without a glitch.

I do keep stabilizer in all the fuel tanks, to prevent moisture and phase separation. I also change the oil every year, even if the car hasn't been used much, because acids form in the crankcase, even just sitting there.

A few years ago, I bought a car that had been sitting for 4 years. Put a new battery in it, and it fired right up and even the old gas was usable. Usually, it is the fuel that turns bad, but for some reason this tankful was ok.

Old Today, 02:18 PM

1,374 posts, read 415,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The new cars on dealer lots get driven now and then. Any that sit long enough for the battery to die would get jumpstarted and nobody else would know.
Not necessarily. Most of the ones that are getting test driven frequently end up selling rather quickly. Some of the less desirable vehicles, as well as the fleet stuff, can sit for months at a time without being started.

Most modern cars can handle it just fine. The battery might need a jump, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or