U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM

14,125 posts, read 30,330,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
How much did Chevy pay to rank that high? I agree with the Kia ranking. I have 2 Kia Souls..best reliability of any vehicle Iíve owned. I also have a Fiat 500 only minor issues. I know the 500L was a disaster
But the Soul is Kiaís most reliable model, the rest are mere average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 08:01 PM

367 posts, read 92,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
Who writes this stuff. Seriously. Mazda that low on the list and just below Nissan! That's nuts. In the mean time, Volvo, one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet right now comes in near dead last. Come on. I ain't buying this list.

They've got Toyota winning the top three slots and Chevrolet tucked right in below that level of "reliability." Wow. I'm shocked.

Guess I better go out and buy a Traverse, or an Enclave, LOL! Hilarious.
Dashboard-Light also has Mazda really low on the list, and Chevy pretty high:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I thought about that. The Chevy Sonic and Equinox were the most dependable in their respective classes, but so was the Silverado HD pickup. They don't have the full rankings for 2019, so I don't know where the GMC Sierra ranked in relation.
The Sonic and Equinox must have come a long way:

Old 02-16-2019, 12:26 AM

6,362 posts, read 3,547,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Dashboard-Light also has Mazda really low on the list, and Chevy pretty high:

The Sonic and Equinox must have come a long way:
This ranking is quite suspect and needs an explanation of method considering the Chevrolet SSR is the highest Chevy rated and was in production only from 2003 - 2006.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 AM

399 posts, read 338,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This ranking is quite suspect and needs an explanation of method considering the Chevrolet SSR is the highest Chevy rated and was in production only from 2003 - 2006.
There's an explanation here. Dashboard-light attempts to focus on the portion of a car's life that J.D. Power and Consumer Reports don't cover -- 3 years to end of life. They include cars going back all the way to the model year 1993 in their rankings. That's why, for example, Kia is so low on their ranking compared to the other surveys: they're still getting dinged for the cars they produced 15-20 years ago.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:41 AM

367 posts, read 92,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
There's an explanation here. Dashboard-light attempts to focus on the portion of a car's life that J.D. Power and Consumer Reports don't cover -- 3 years to end of life. They include cars going back all the way to the model year 1993 in their rankings. That's why, for example, Kia is so low on their ranking compared to the other surveys: they're still getting dinged for the cars they produced 15-20 years ago.
I understand Kia/Hyundai still have a pretty high failure rate for their dual clutch automatic, but yes this is definitely true. It's a historical average and if a manufacturer drastically changes their company practices, it won't immediately change their historical reliability.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:57 AM

5,195 posts, read 5,228,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Obviously, I wouldn't expect a vehicle to have major problems within the first 3 years of ownership, but it can happen.
Here's the story as told to me by an automotive executive.

Some manufacturers have a dedicated quality control at end of production line. Vehicles are checked and corrections are made right there at the factory.

Other manufacturers just send the new vehicles directly to the dealers and any quality issues are fixed by dealer under warranty. Some would be fixed at the port of entry.

One story. At the port in Providence, RI - Volkswagen would unload ships full of new cars. Because there were so many issues and problems with these new Volkswagens - there was a whole crew of mechanics "fixing" all of the defects/problems that occurred at the assembly plant in Mexico. That story is over 15 years old and Volkswagen Mexico may have redirected it's resources back to the assembly plant in Mexico.

Quality control at the factory or quality control at the port or dealership.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:08 AM

21 posts, read 3,116 times
Nice blog is this..

Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 AM

578 posts, read 336,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
This. VW has improved markedly, but that site is still dinging them for 1999 Jettas. It’s completely outdated.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 AM

35,011 posts, read 53,617,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Have to say, I'm shocked to see Mini doing so well. I understand JD Power's figures are just for problems on delivery or very early in a vehicle's life, but even so.

EDIT: Duplicate thread.
That's US market. In other countries those brands have different rankings.

Mini doesn't rank that great in Europe:

https://europe.jdpower.com/business/...ity-study-vds#

https://europe.jdpower.com/business/...dability-study

China:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-vds
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:53 AM

2,213 posts, read 3,476,555 times
@ EckyX - How old is that list you posted? I have loved our SAAB automobiles and have never had problems with them, but the brand died in 2011! The newest SAABs on the road are greater than 8 years old.

I was torn between buying a CPO Volvo V60 Cross Country or a new Buick TourX. Even though I was leaning toward the Volvo this 2019 list has caused me to flip. I realize there is a level of subjectivity in the JD Power data but the difference between being ranked #5 versus #30 is significant!

The difference between being 7 or 10 is meh.... The difference between being top or bottom of the list is too great to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive