U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 08:14 AM

367 posts, read 92,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
@ EckyX - How old is that list you posted? I have loved our SAAB automobiles and have never had problems with them, but the brand died in 2011! The newest SAABs on the road are greater than 8 years old.

I was torn between buying a CPO Volvo V60 Cross Country or a new Buick TourX. Even though I was leaning toward the Volvo this 2019 list has caused me to flip. I realize there is a level of subjectivity in the JD Power data but the difference between being ranked #5 versus #30 is significant!

The difference between being 7 or 10 is meh.... The difference between being top or bottom of the list is too great to ignore.
The list is updated continuously, but is still weighted with older vehicles. However, you can dive into their rankings and see which model years of which models are bad and which are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM

14,125 posts, read 30,330,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Dashboard-Light also has Mazda really low on the list, and Chevy pretty high:

The Sonic and Equinox must have come a long way:
I donít trust that list either. How in the world could Infiniti rank high, yet Nissan rank low? They share many of the same parts.

The only survey I even remotely trust is Consumer Reports.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 AM

12,783 posts, read 19,423,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I donít trust that list either. How in the world could Infiniti rank high, yet Nissan rank low? They share many of the same parts.

The same thing with Chrysler, Dodge, and Fiat. Should I include Jeep? The list doesn't seem to be about what it says it is about.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 AM

10,219 posts, read 14,713,652 times
I'd rather trust Scotty, who placed Chevrolet several models as the worst quality for 2018 period and 4 Toyotas and a Lexus as five most reliable period. Which is no surprise. Traverese being one of the worst to buy, considering someone here said "I'll go buy one". Like or not what he says, I doubt he's paid by anyone to say what he says.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:17 AM

14,125 posts, read 30,330,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'd rather trust Scotty, who placed Chevrolet several models as the worst quality for 2018 period and 4 Toyotas and a Lexus as five most reliable period. Which is no surprise. Traverese being one of the worst to buy, considering someone here said "I'll go buy one". Like or not what he says, I doubt he's paid by anyone to say what he says.
You just have to do your research. The first several years of the Traverse was awful due to wave plate failures in the transmission and timing chain problems. Supposedly GM fixed those issues, or at least I hope so because my sister just bought a 2017 model.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM

5,195 posts, read 5,228,534 times
With any study or survey READ the fine print.

From Forbes:

"For those keeping score, only four vehicles in the 2016 study received perfect scores in all three separate dependability categories, the Buick Verano compact sedan, Chevrolet Camaro sports coupe, and the GMC Yukon and Nissan Murano SUVs."

LINK

Old 02-16-2019, 12:42 PM

367 posts, read 92,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The same thing with Chrysler, Dodge, and Fiat. Should I include Jeep? The list doesn't seem to be about what it says it is about.
Most of those brands have predominantly electrical issues. Dashboard-Light states very clearly these stats are only for mechanical issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t trust that list either. How in the world could Infiniti rank high, yet Nissan rank low? They share many of the same parts.

Honda and Acura have hugely different scores as well.

For a long time Honda's V6 automatic transmissions were complete garbage. Most Honda vehicles used 4 cylinders, whereas most Acuras had V6's.

These scores are statistics, they're not subjective. You just need to be sure what they're statistics of.

Last edited by EckyX; 02-16-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 3,575,898 times
It would be nice to know what the exact problems are of each make and model instead of just ranking them from best to last.

Well what are the specifics? Itís like if I go out and buy XYZ vehicle what are the typical issues that I will have with it?

Every brand makes crappy cars, even Toyota with certain Scion brand models, and itís little Yaris.

Obviously the more complex something is, the greater the risk of it going to fail and being very expensive to fix.

They should have a long term study of vehicles of more than 5-10 years old, that ranking would be a lot more accurate and justified vs ones that are only a couple of years old.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:28 PM

5,620 posts, read 1,538,672 times
JD power is is a PR/marketing firm aka their goal is to sell you cars, not truth.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 PM

2,001 posts, read 802,133 times
Being a retired Honda associate with nearly 30 years service, it is so painful to see my beloved Honda continue to slide in these rankings. Me thinks the near 40% temp. workforce is taking a huge toll on Honda quality. Way back in the day we would laugh at the poor rankings of Kia and Hyundai, never believing that one day fortunes would be reversed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive