U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 07:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 388,530 times

Advertisements

Itís just hard to belive that Honda is pretty far down on that list!

Iíve had three Hondaís and never ever had any problems with any of them and Iíve put over 125K miles on each one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 PM

14,125 posts, read 30,330,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Being a retired Honda associate with nearly 30 years service, it is so painful to see my beloved Honda continue to slide in these rankings. Me thinks the near 40% temp. workforce is taking a huge toll on Honda quality. Way back in the day we would laugh at the poor rankings of Kia and Hyundai, never believing that one day fortunes would be reversed.
I think Hondaís automatic transmissions have hurt their reputation. Oddly enough, Hyundai/Kiaís automatics have been pretty good lately, itís their 4cyl engines that are problematic.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 PM

3,584 posts, read 987,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think Honda’s automatic transmissions have hurt their reputation. Oddly enough, Hyundai/Kia’s automatics have been pretty good lately, it’s their 4cyl engines that are problematic.
My wife’s 2016 Kia Sorento has the 2.4 engine haven’t had a problem with the vehicle at all very well built no squeks rattles and very smooth idle and very comfortable ridding. Would get another Kia anytime. I’ve been driving a long time i don’t look at reliably or forums i buy what i like, certain people put more Research into buying a vehicle than a house that they have to live in.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 PM

1,416 posts, read 438,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'd rather trust Scotty, who placed Chevrolet several models as the worst quality for 2018 period and 4 Toyotas and a Lexus as five most reliable period. Which is no surprise.
Good luck with that. I've never seen this Scotty fellow give anything more than his own opinion with little factual evidence, other than a few anecdotes, to back it up. Plus, he's annoying as hell.

He also appears to be a backyard mechanic from his videos, most of the cars he sees are used and abused and the owner doesn't want to take it to a reputable shop or dealership for the repair.

I'm not going to try and claim Chevy is as reliable as Toyota, because I don't have any factual evidence to prove it, but I don't have any to dispel it either.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:04 PM

3,584 posts, read 987,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Good luck with that. I've never seen this Scotty fellow give anything more than his own opinion with little factual evidence, other than a few anecdotes, to back it up. Plus, he's annoying as hell.

He also appears to be a backyard mechanic from his videos, most of the cars he sees are used and abused and the owner doesn't want to take it to a reputable shop or dealership for the repair.

I'm not going to try and claim Chevy is as reliable as Toyota, because I don't have any factual evidence to prove it, but I don't have any to dispel it either.
I agree i think he’s a nut his garage looks like he’s a hoarder, only cars i see him showing is old Toyota’s that are filthy, mechanic my older brother is a master mechanic fo 50 years and calls this Scotty a idiot. So if people take his word as gospel are gullible.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM

834 posts, read 562,692 times
I don't take to much stock on these rankings. I only buy Toyotas and lexus since every one we have owned has been trouble free. We have driven them to near 200k miles before selling them and upgrading. I never buy new always at 3yrs old and 20-45k miles. The few Fords I owned, well that's a different story all trash.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM

3,248 posts, read 1,473,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
In the mean time, Volvo, one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet right now comes in near dead last.
Volvo is a bottom feeder in just about every survey.
They're Chinese, so why is this a big surprise?

Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 PM

4,206 posts, read 2,319,137 times
It's very difficult to get accurate and transparent reporting data in the auto industry. So much money is to be made and paid for advertising and awards. I just don't trust most publications to either get it right due to conflict of interest and their methodology is stogy.

E.g. a defective $80 tire pressure monitor sensor is a much different problem than a bad turbo seal on BMW N55. Each would count similarly on many defect metrics for these publications.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:34 PM

3,248 posts, read 1,473,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I just don't trust most publications to either get it right due to conflict of interest and their methodology is stogy.
I believe them when an automaker is at the bottom of all of the them.
There are certain brands that seem to live there. Most of the others move up and down.

Also, the difference between the top and average is insignificant.
2/3's of the owners of an average car would have the same number of issues as #1. So don't worry about it.
There is a much bigger difference between average and bottom.
The gap would be a lot greater if Tesla were included in this survey.

Last edited by eaton53; 02-17-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 04:16 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,922,096 times
I have a 2006 Honda Element and 2006 CRV. Both are over 130,000 miles and are very reliable. Perhaps the older Hondas are better.

My daily driver is 2002 Rav4 5 speed manual transmission that has been super reliable and fun to drive with a stick.

I am hoping between the 3, they will run until a retire in 5-7 years. I am a stickler with maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive