U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:59 PM

6,647 posts, read 3,697,912 times

Advertisements

Yeah the Elements in particular are very reliable. See them all over the place here around Portland. Like literally 1-2 every block.

Honda’s quality started really slipping late 00s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 AM

367 posts, read 92,898 times
I would hope most vehicles wouldn't show much maintenance at only 130k miles, that's still breaking them in, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:22 AM

14,125 posts, read 30,330,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I would hope most vehicles wouldn't show much maintenance at only 130k miles, that's still breaking them in, as far as I'm concerned.
There have been quite a few models in recent years that burn oil way before that mileage.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 AM

12,634 posts, read 6,601,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post

The problem is that J.D. Power only tracks the first three years when the car is under warranty and typically has very low mileage. The things that get dinged are nonsense like people too stupid to figure out how to use the head unit.

What most of us care about is problems that cost us money. I don't care that my car had some recalls that were dealt with during routine oil changes when the car was still pretty new. I care that some cars have a history of expensive problems in that 50,000 to 125,000 mile band when a modern car shouldn't have anything beyond regularly scheduled maintenance, brakes, and tires. In 2019, that mileage band might extend up to 150,000 miles. I care less about relatively inexpensive failures like oxygen sensors and wheel bearings which can happen on any car. I care far more about expensive drive train failures. Engines and transmissions are expensive.

I'm generally not a Consumer Reports fan but they do collect data and have the largest data repository for the information I care about. I'm not going to pay much credence to the cars they like but I'm going to look closely at their reliability data. I find J.D. Power totally useless. It gives me no insight to what sorts of failures I might expect if I own a car for 125,000 to 150,000 miles.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:08 AM

12,634 posts, read 6,601,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There have been quite a few models in recent years that burn oil way before that mileage.

This is often overblown. My girlfriend's Volvo S80 burns a quart every 5,000 miles or so. The low oil light goes on. I add a quart. Good to go until the oil change. I check her oil once in a while to keep an eye on it. If you go online, that's pretty normal for that particular engine. That's different from needing to carry a case of oil in the trunk and add a quart every time you fill the tank. Years ago, I owned that kind of car once. Even then, it didn't ever strand me at the side of the road.

I winter drive rural Vermont secondary roads where there is no cell phone reception. What I care about is breaking down on that kind of road where it's a big deal. I don't want anything to do with a car that could strand me in subzero weather. Adding a quart of oil occasionally is a minor inconvenience. Stranding me at -20F with no cell reception is kind of a big deal.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 AM

6,078 posts, read 12,462,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The gap would be a lot greater if Tesla were included in this survey.
Do you have any data to support that?

I’ve had mine since July and it has been impeccable thus far. I couldn’t say the same for the other 6 cars I’ve had during my lifetime (3 Chevys, 1 Mitsubishi, 1 Geo and 1 Toyota). Some were better than others but each one had its flaws/mechanical issues.

It’s still early but thus far I would say that the Tesla is the most dependable and best built car I’ve ever owned.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM

4,022 posts, read 6,937,627 times
Audi, BMW, Mini ahead of Hyundai and KIA? FIX! FIX!

Old 02-18-2019, 02:28 PM

25,736 posts, read 61,214,777 times
This is a silly "study" for a lot of reasons, the most blatant of which is they seem to think an analysis by brand has some meaning. They may as well do a study comparing the reliability of cars driven by Blondes as compared to cars driven by redheads. Which is more reliable? We need to know.

If the ford Fusions have a huge problem rate and the F-150 have virtually none. An overall average by brand tells you absolutely zero about the reliability of the Ford F 150. if the F-150 owners tend to be more picky and take their new truck back for things they do not understand or which most people would not care about, that also tells you nothing about the reliability of the F-150. If the buyers of Chevy spark tend to be kids who do not understand their car, but take it in a lot because it "sounds funny" when there is actually nothing wrong with it at all, that tells you zero about the reliability of the Chevy spark. Likewise if the Subaru WRX tends to be driven by kids who do not take car of their car and abuse it, a lot of broken items being repaired under warranty does not tell you anything about reliability in relation to say a Buick encore being driven by grandpas and grandmas and meticulously maintained. So if Toyota has less average warranty issues than Pontiac does that make the Matrix a better car than the Vibe? (Hint, they are the same car with the same designers built on the same line by the same people using the same parts).

These studies are completely worthless and studies by brand name are laughably worthless. .

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-18-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 PM

6,362 posts, read 3,547,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem is that J.D. Power only tracks the first three years when the car is under warranty and typically has very low mileage. The things that get dinged are nonsense like people too stupid to figure out how to use the head unit.

What most of us care about is problems that cost us money. I don't care that my car had some recalls that were dealt with during routine oil changes when the car was still pretty new. I care that some cars have a history of expensive problems in that 50,000 to 125,000 mile band when a modern car shouldn't have anything beyond regularly scheduled maintenance, brakes, and tires. In 2019, that mileage band might extend up to 150,000 miles. I care less about relatively inexpensive failures like oxygen sensors and wheel bearings which can happen on any car. I care far more about expensive drive train failures. Engines and transmissions are expensive.

I'm generally not a Consumer Reports fan but they do collect data and have the largest data repository for the information I care about. I'm not going to pay much credence to the cars they like but I'm going to look closely at their reliability data. I find J.D. Power totally useless. It gives me no insight to what sorts of failures I might expect if I own a car for 125,000 to 150,000 miles.
The problem is that Consumer Reports creates its ratings by relying heavily on anecdotal reports and surveys from its subscribers, people who generally are loathe to admit they bought the wrong vehicle to begin with and often are led by a "mob mentality" in reinforcing and repeating their own choices. This is certainly not an objective criteria representative of the car buying demographic as a whole.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:37 PM

3,584 posts, read 987,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is a silly "study" for a lot of reasons, the most blatant of which is they seem to think an analysis by brand has some meaning. They may as well do a study comparing the reliability of cars driven by Blondes as compared to cars driven by redheads. Which is more reliable? We need to know.
I agree i didn’t have these reliability ratings when i started buying cars and pickups and I’m not going to start now. If you’re not vehicle savvy take along someone who is when buying a vehicle, stop putting all you’re faith into these reliability studies. I’ve been driving since 1971 never needed a book to tell me what vehicle to buy not going to start now. Some people make buying a vehicle like doing a research paper for school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive