U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM

6,362 posts, read 3,549,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is a silly "study" for a lot of reasons, the most blatant of which is they seem to think an analysis by brand has some meaning. They may as well do a study comparing the reliability of cars driven by Blondes as compared to cars driven by redheads. Which is more reliable? We need to know.

If the ford Fusions have a huge problem rate and the F-150 have virtually none. An overall average by brand tells you absolutely zero about the reliability of the Ford F 150. if the F-150 owners tend to be more picky and take their new truck back for things they do not understand or which most people would not care about, that also tells you nothing about the reliability of the F-150. If the buyers of Chevy spark tend to be kids who do not understand their car, but take it in a lot because it "sounds funny" when there is actually nothing wrong with it at all, that tells you zero about the reliability of the Chevy spark. Likewise if the Subaru WRX tends to be driven by kids who do not take car of their car and abuse it, a lot of broken items being repaired under warranty does not tell you anything about reliability in relation to say a Buick encore being driven by grandpas and grandmas and meticulously maintained. So if Toyota has less average warranty issues than Pontiac does that make the Matrix a better car than the Vibe? (Hint, they are the same car with the same designers built on the same line by the same people using the same parts).

These studies are completely worthless and studies by brand name are laughably worthless. .
Very true, it's been well over thirty years since the Dodge Caravan was introduced, a little bit sooner than its transmission was ready for prime time but Iacocca demanded they start selling them and even today there are people who claim they wouldn't buy one because the transmissions are no good, decades after they became bulletproof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 06:00 PM

7,524 posts, read 2,885,755 times
I saw Mini near the top then immediately realized this list is made up BS.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM

368 posts, read 93,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is a silly "study" for a lot of reasons, the most blatant of which is they seem to think an analysis by brand has some meaning. They may as well do a study comparing the reliability of cars driven by Blondes as compared to cars driven by redheads. Which is more reliable? We need to know.
This is a great point. Dashboard-Light's data suggests there's a lot more variation on vehicles from a manufacturer than there are between most manufacturers. And, while certain practices (e.g. The Toyota Way) may make real, tangible, average-skewing differences in reliability, that doesn't mean Toyota still can't make a lemon.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM

3,250 posts, read 1,476,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Do you have any data to support that?

I’ve had mine since July and it has been impeccable thus far. I couldn’t say the same for the other 6 cars I’ve had during my lifetime (3 Chevys, 1 Mitsubishi, 1 Geo and 1 Toyota). Some were better than others but each one had its flaws/mechanical issues.

It’s still early but thus far I would say that the Tesla is the most dependable and best built car I’ve ever owned.
https://www.truedelta.com/Tesla-Mode...liability-1376

The Tesla Model 3 is most unreliable car you can buy by a WIDE margin.

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...erm-road-test/

Edmunds Model 3 has been nothing but trouble.
You know a car is unreliable when getting through a whole month without issues is noteworthy.

Last edited by eaton53; 02-19-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 10:57 PM

6,078 posts, read 12,464,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
https://www.truedelta.com/Tesla-Mode...liability-1376

The Tesla Model 3 is most unreliable car you can buy by a WIDE margin.

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...erm-road-test/

Edmunds Model 3 has been nothing but trouble.
You know a car is unreliable when getting through a whole month without issues is noteworthy.
I have 8,000 miles on my Model 3 and like I said....zero issues thus far.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,415,041 times
Quote:

I don't have anything against Tesla but get back to us when you hit 200K miles.

I know of three Tesla Model X's between my friends that were bought back as lemons. Maybe it is a bad luck cluster in my immediate friend zone but still.

I think all new models are going to be more prone to issues. The data could help guide your decision but that's all there is, guidance. If you want a Jeep, you still have to buy one and deal with it.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:22 AM

6,362 posts, read 3,549,714 times
Quote:
That is an anecdote, not a statistic.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:46 AM

6,078 posts, read 12,464,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That is correct. But what happens to me personally matters more than what happened to the early models built for customers in Northern California for example. Toyota historically has been considered to have excellent quality and yet by far the biggest lemon I’ve ever owned was a 2000 Corolla....this anecdote means more to me than statistics. Regardless of what they say, I will never own another Toyota as long as I live.

As I said earlier, it is too early to pass final judgment but thus far my Model 3 has been superb. We have another Model 3 in my immediate family and that vehicle has also been superb.

If you look through the repairs reported on Model 3 only like 1% of them related to drivetrain issues. The vast majority appear to be minor cosmetic/body imperfections which were repaired at minimal cost. This kind of thing isn’t bad considering it’s a brand new model. When all is said and done I’m confident it will be widely considered more reliable than most if not all internal combustion cars on the market.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:40 PM

3,250 posts, read 1,476,181 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This.
One person's experience doesn't mean anything.
Someone probably had a Yugo make it 8K miles without breaking.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM

14,126 posts, read 30,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
This.
One person's experience doesn't mean anything.
Someone probably had a Yugo make it 8K miles without breaking.
LOL, yeah, even the biggest POS should be able to make it 8k miles without breaking down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive