Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I have 8,000 miles on my Model 3 and like I said....zero issues thus far.
I had a bicycle go 9000 miles with zero issues. I did not even have to replace the brake pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,782,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
That does seem weird. Maybe it's Chevy cars are what are propping them up above GMC? Where as GMC is only SUV's and Trucks and maybe vans?
Yes it is the cars propping up Chevrolet and boosting it above GMC. GMC is just the trucks, SUV's and crossovers. The GM trucks and full size SUV's have gone to complete crap and that is the reason for GMC being so low. It is mostly related to problems with that garbage Active Fuel Management system causing lifter ticks and failures along with the direct injection problems they are now having. The throw in some general all around quality problems due to cheap ass china made sensors failing all the time like the EVAP sensors and you have enough problems to tick consumers off. Everyone I know that has bought a GM truck in the last 5 years has had problem after problem after problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
There are a few surprises. Acura is very low on the list and Honda is below average, both of which are a shock to me.

Chevrolet is the second highest ranked mainstream brand, only behind Toyota, while GMC, which are just rebadged Chevrolets, is well below average.

BMW and Mini are near the top, which is a surprise to me.

Then you have the usual suspects at the bottom, FCA brands as well as Land-Rover and Jaguar, as well as at the top with Toyota and Lexus.
The ones at the bottom of the list are no surprise at all. They have been there for years and are known to build junk. Fiat, Dodge, Ram trucks, and Jeep has been crap for years.......well really they pretty much have always been crap.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:22 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would not buy one from the 1990s; A newer one, I would want to do some research. Chrysler continues to squeeze its suppliers to the point of sacrificing quality in some cases. It is better than it was, but I am not sure how much better or how global the improvement is.

Everyone squeezes their suppliers, but Chrysler is notorious for doing so to the extreme and still enjoys some of that notoriety. I think they finally admitted they are not capable of designing transmissions anymore and went to GM designs and/or ZF transmissions. At least for a while. They may have taken another run at designing their own recently, not sure. After all, once upon a time, they did produce one of the best automatic transmissions available for the time.
Well, my 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan will be passing 60,000 miles next week or perhaps two weeks. It only had one issue and it was fixed under warranty (Ignition coil). The transmission has been fine. The other 4 we owned prior to this one, never had a transmission problem except for the 88 version that got overhauled at 165,000 miles. The best thing about our old 2005 version was the Transmission. All of them were Chrysler transmissions. My 2015 has been great and the new Pacifica also seems to be very good. Those are my 5 anecdotes. I used to hate Chrysler but not anymore.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,465,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
Who writes this stuff. Seriously. Mazda that low on the list and just below Nissan! That's nuts. In the mean time, Volvo, one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet right now comes in near dead last. Come on. I ain't buying this list.
I think this list is pretty crappy too. Porsche #2. I think that was an attempt at humor.

I do understand why Volvo fared so poorly in this list, however. I say that as a Volvo enthusiast. The modern Volvos have a lot of technical glitches, and I'm sure that is having an impact in these surveys. Mechanically and quality wise, I think that Volvos are among the best. I'd say the same about Mercedes-Benz as well. Jaguar Land Rover is shameful across the board. The reason you still see a lot of them is because their leasing programs are the best in the industry—by far.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 PM

11,026 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would not buy one from the 1990s; A newer one, I would want to do some research. Chrysler continues to squeeze its suppliers to the point of sacrificing quality in some cases. It is better than it was, but I am not sure how much better or how global the improvement is.

Everyone squeezes their suppliers, but Chrysler is notorious for doing so to the extreme and still enjoys some of that notoriety. I think they finally admitted they are not capable of designing transmissions anymore and went to GM designs and/or ZF transmissions. At least for a while. They may have taken another run at designing their own recently, not sure. After all, once upon a time, they did produce one of the best automatic transmissions available for the time.
Don't let the facts get in the way of what you "think." FCA's Kokomo and Tipton, Indiana plants are producing far more transmissions today, both eight and nine speed, than they ever have before when production centered on five speed units. These plants produced more than 1.2 million transmissions in 2017.

I find no indication that FCA uses any transmissions designed or produced by GM unless you are thinking of those made by New Venture Gear, a short-lived joint venture of Chrysler and GM based on the products of New Process Gear, long owned by Chrysler. Some of FCA's eight and nine speed units are the result of a joint venture with ZF.

Can you supply some information on your other claim that Chrysler "continues to squeeze its suppliers to the point of sacrificing quality?" Which suppliers are involved and what concessions to quality were made?

Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,100,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think this list is pretty crappy too. Porsche #2. I think that was an attempt at humor.

I do understand why Volvo fared so poorly in this list, however. I say that as a Volvo enthusiast. The modern Volvos have a lot of technical glitches, and I'm sure that is having an impact in these surveys. Mechanically and quality wise, I think that Volvos are among the best. I'd say the same about Mercedes-Benz as well. Jaguar Land Rover is shameful across the board. The reason you still see a lot of them is because their leasing programs are the best in the industry—by far.
What issues did you have with your Porsche?

My 911 is the best value car of over 30 cars I have had so far...

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 AM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
What issues did you have with your Porsche?

My 911 is the best value car of over 30 cars I have had so far...
What year and spec? Pdk or stick?

Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,100,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
What year and spec? Pdk or stick?
2003 PDK Carrera - so it is an oldie but still very reliable and going strong - only thing I wanted to do was the IMS Solution bearing with oil (play safe).

I still trust it over the 2019 sedan, not to mention it is real fun to drive

Old 02-25-2019, 05:08 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,296,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
2003 PDK Carrera - so it is an oldie but still very reliable and going strong - only thing I wanted to do was the IMS Solution bearing with oil (play safe).

I still trust it over the 2019 sedan, not to mention it is real fun to drive
Do you drive that 30 year old Porsche as a daily driver or as a weekend showpiece.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 PM

77,691 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Guys, it's a JD Power "survey" that in the fine print at the bottom even admits it's not statistical.

The rankings are garbage for any sort of longer term reliability measures.

If you don't believe me then go look at how the values for some of those higher rated vehicles just fall off a cliff in kelly blue book after they get out of manufacturer warranty.
(Do believe me then go get yourself a great deal on a 5 year old 80k mile BMW and may repairs have mercy on your bank account.)

You want a clean, honest long term ranking, then look at how the values hold up because that's people voting with their wallet and not taking a survey on a car they've had for a year or two.

Those values are also reflective of thousands of vehicles and not some internet posters anecdotal experience with a car or three.

The one thing you can take to the bank is to stay the heck away from any completely new design for the first model year or two. (minor re-works are ok). I've actually seen internal data on this and it's 2-3 times the problems of the long term reliability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive