U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

31,414 posts, read 25,177,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Also why is all of a certain cow emissions a big concern? I don't get it

I been breathing the same air since birth and here I am still alive

Sure there are toxins in the air, but I can assure cars are not as big of polluters as people make them out to be

I mean why is enviromentalism all of a sudden a concern for people against cars and the meat industry, in an age where youth sports are declining, in an age where our children spend less time outside than ever before and in an age where our environments are being urbanized? Why didn't they pioneer other fuel sources before the oil and gas industry got filthy rich? Something's not adding up here

you get some activist with an agenda, and suddenly it becomes an issue where it never was before. its probably some vegan type who is also a global warming alarmist who wants to see cows go away so no one eats them anymore. heaven forbid someone should want a big mac or something instead of rabbit food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

2,387 posts, read 672,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you get some activist with an agenda, and suddenly it becomes an issue where it never was before. its probably some vegan type who is also a global warming alarmist who wants to see cows go away so no one eats them anymore. heaven forbid someone should want a big mac or something instead of rabbit food.
The irony being all of our transportation supply(cars, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, trains, etc) could be banned overnight and the tree huggers could still find another consumer good or item to ban(such as clothes, toys, video games, dvd, school supplies, etc)

Should we go back to just back to being hunter gatherers to please them? I know they aren't threatening us physically, but it's annoying to hear them constantly whine and whine about "muh air pollution"

I mean why don't you go find an island and see how you do it without any modern technology

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

5,499 posts, read 1,833,354 times
Quote:
Wow. Fox much?

Do you have any concept of how much of our resources has gone to individual, personalized transportation since... oh, even 1945? "Squander" on every level doesn't begin to tell the tale, and all in the name of heavily fostered notions of Frak Yeah, FREEDOM!

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Wow. Fox much?

Do you have any concept of how much of our resources has gone to individual, personalized transportation since... oh, even 1945? "Squander" on every level doesn't begin to tell the tale, and all in the name of heavily fostered notions of Frak Yeah, FREEDOM!
So should we go back to being hunter gatherer societies?

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

3,199 posts, read 1,451,636 times
Quote:
So should we go back to being hunter gatherer societies?
I think there's a fair bit of middle ground between "hunter gatherer" and "gross polluter".

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

3,457 posts, read 5,510,395 times
Quote:
Yeah, there was one of these trash talking ignorant idealist nutbags spewing her hate for "huge SUVs" at my father's funeral a few weeks ago...I wish I was kidding. Who just goes around complaining about people's lifestyles at funerals? As far as I know no one in attendance even owns a full size SUV.

Some people just seem to be so miserable in their own heads that they are hell bent on creating problems that do not exist.

The car culture will continue to evolve with current automotive trends as it always has. I think it's great that some clubs are welcoming to anyone with an interest now. Not everyone has a dedicated interest in the focus of some of the more specific groups which is completely understandable.

Old Today, 12:51 AM

8,188 posts, read 2,044,992 times
What bothers me the most (relating to this topic), is that transportation in general should be MUCH MUCH more advanced than it currently is, (or at least advancements that are available to the public)...

Its is 2019, we should be getting around in vehicles that resemble something from a sci-fi movie, like Star wars, the hovering land vehicles, they have no wheels or tires, its a form of gravity control/ electromagnetic...Are they even trying to create new tech like this anymore, or..? LOL

Old Today, 01:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 770,122 times
Quote:
As a youngster I always ask myself if it is too late to really get more into car culture, maybe I need to actually experience it a bit, because I stated in another thread I consider myself a car enthusiast, but not necessarily into car culture. However I feel maybe experiencing it in an actual manner would probably help shape things up.

Supposedly car culture has been declining since the mid 2000s, but it seems to like it's really trying to become popular again, by trying out new ideas and trends

First off, exotics are in a discreet manner, trying to become commonplace, which will probably kill the excitement of even seeing one in the first place, but eventually they will try to do some sort of change to keep the "exotic" feel still going

The next thing to mention is the automotive industry's latest attempts to bring hybrid and electric vehicles into the motorsports and hi performance driving departments. This is a mixed bag, it will continue flopping if we don't let the cars naturally develop and evolve

Now track days are trying to become the norm over street racing, kind of actually a good thing if you ask me. I feel driving on a track can put more challenge on the pedal, and not to mention is probably funner.

You have also the latest advertising going on with SUVs and crossovers, about time they got some appreciation. Some of my favorite crossovers out right now include the Urus(not gonna lie, that thing is a BEAST ), the Stelvio and the Tiguan

So yeah I am actually glad there is some ongoing attempted reviving of car culture going on, with good intentions this time of course.

Also, could the ongoing attempted reviving of car culture alert us that the auto industry is actually trying to fight the resistance of environmental conciousness and the rise of public transport? Will the automotive industry be able to protect itself from shutting down altogether/completely? What does the future of the auto industry hold on of itself?

Also to the people complaining that car design is getting worse, try not to focus on the badly designed ones so much, look at the new NSX for crying out loud or the new Veloster

In this battle I really have to cheer for them, the oil and gas industry can go away, but we also need to acknowledge that new fuel sources are always discussed from time to time, I mean cars could run on water overnight and could care less tbh

What do you guys think?
What? Why are you over thinking this? If you like cars, you like them? If you don't, you don't. It's that simple. Why the psychoanalysis?

Old Today, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
What? Why are you over thinking this? If you like cars, you like them? If you don't, you don't. It's that simple. Why the psychoanalysis?
See is because the car enthusiast camp is quite split up nowadays

Old Today, 06:03 AM

2,717 posts, read 3,779,931 times
I think some of us are overanalyzing this way to much. The Baby Boomers, myself included were I think the biggest champions for the auto culture ever. We grew up actually able to wrench on cars very simply and when we got older and able to support an expensive hobby we embraced those autos we grew up with through purchases and restorations.

As I mentioned earlier most of the gatherings I go to now the average age of those with the older cars are mid fifties to early sixties. The car culture might grow but it's focus will continue to be on the new throwback models as price and availability will be a deterrent from getting into the much older 60's and 70's cars.

As far as political concerns you are always going to get a splinter of the population against automobiles in any shape or form.

Bottom line with the EPA standards we have, gas mileage is slowly creeping upwards and with the push for electric vehicles, gas and emissions are doing well as far as meeting future EPA goals. The days of the gas guzzling smog spewing cars diminish every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or