U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 PM

2,387 posts, read 672,184 times

Advertisements

As a youngster I always ask myself if it is too late to really get more into car culture, maybe I need to actually experience it a bit, because I stated in another thread I consider myself a car enthusiast, but not necessarily into car culture. However I feel maybe experiencing it in an actual manner would probably help shape things up.

Supposedly car culture has been declining since the mid 2000s, but it seems to like it's really trying to become popular again, by trying out new ideas and trends

First off, exotics are in a discreet manner, trying to become commonplace, which will probably kill the excitement of even seeing one in the first place, but eventually they will try to do some sort of change to keep the "exotic" feel still going

The next thing to mention is the automotive industry's latest attempts to bring hybrid and electric vehicles into the motorsports and hi performance driving departments. This is a mixed bag, it will continue flopping if we don't let the cars naturally develop and evolve

Now track days are trying to become the norm over street racing, kind of actually a good thing if you ask me. I feel driving on a track can put more challenge on the pedal, and not to mention is probably funner.

You have also the latest advertising going on with SUVs and crossovers, about time they got some appreciation. Some of my favorite crossovers out right now include the Urus(not gonna lie, that thing is a BEAST ), the Stelvio and the Tiguan

So yeah I am actually glad there is some ongoing attempted reviving of car culture going on, with good intentions this time of course.

Also, could the ongoing attempted reviving of car culture alert us that the auto industry is actually trying to fight the resistance of environmental conciousness and the rise of public transport? Will the automotive industry be able to protect itself from shutting down altogether/completely? What does the future of the auto industry hold on of itself?

Also to the people complaining that car design is getting worse, try not to focus on the badly designed ones so much, look at the new NSX for crying out loud or the new Veloster

In this battle I really have to cheer for them, the oil and gas industry can go away, but we also need to acknowledge that new fuel sources are always discussed from time to time, I mean cars could run on water overnight and could care less tbh

What do you guys think?

Last edited by elnina; 02-15-2019 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Fixed the thread title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 PM

31,414 posts, read 25,177,807 times
i think the car culture will always be with us, but it will continue to change over time. for instance, low rifer popularity came and went, then came back and went again, but through it all low riders have always been with us since their inception in the late 40s. hot rods have come and gone, came back as more street rods, then went again, then came back as rat rods, but again through it all hot rods have been with us since the 1920s.

some other things that have come and gone, but stayed around in limited forms, ricers, pony cars, muscle cars, custom vans, mini trucks, full size trucks, monster trucks, slammed trucks, etc.

and again through it all these things have remained in the culture, just toned down a bit. to really get into the culture, go to some car shows, like world of wheels, and what ever shows are in your area. check the cars out closely, get some design ideas, talk with the car builders if you can, then build your own and have some fun doing it. who knows, you might start the next trend by building something outrageous like a lifted 4x4 crew cab pick up on air bags with lambo style doors, custom 70s van style paint jobs, ricer style body kits, and competition style stereo install, with mini truck style dancing bed.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think the car culture will always be with us, but it will continue to change over time. for instance, low rifer popularity came and went, then came back and went again, but through it all low riders have always been with us since their inception in the late 40s. hot rods have come and gone, came back as more street rods, then went again, then came back as rat rods, but again through it all hot rods have been with us since the 1920s.

some other things that have come and gone, but stayed around in limited forms, ricers, pony cars, muscle cars, custom vans, mini trucks, full size trucks, monster trucks, slammed trucks, etc.

and again through it all these things have remained in the culture, just toned down a bit. to really get into the culture, go to some car shows, like world of wheels, and what ever shows are in your area. check the cars out closely, get some design ideas, talk with the car builders if you can, then build your own and have some fun doing it. who knows, you might start the next trend by building something outrageous like a lifted 4x4 crew cab pick up on air bags with lambo style doors, custom 70s van style paint jobs, ricer style body kits, and competition style stereo install, with mini truck style dancing bed.
Oh I am pretty certain there was a time it was actually declining, pretty sure

Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM

Also why is all of a certain cow emissions a big concern? I don't get it

I been breathing the same air since birth and here I am still alive

Sure there are toxins in the air, but I can assure cars are not as big of polluters as people make them out to be

I mean why is enviromentalism all of a sudden a concern for people against cars and the meat industry, in an age where youth sports are declining, in an age where our children spend less time outside than ever before and in an age where our environments are being urbanized? Why didn't they pioneer other fuel sources before the oil and gas industry got filthy rich? Something's not adding up here

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

2,717 posts, read 3,779,931 times
Soon to be 59 and I consider myself addicted to cars.......luckily I have always had a supportive wife and good job to feed my addictions.

As I get older and my ability to wrench on vehicles or find affordable old iron are diminishing. I have slowly crossed just about everything off my bucket list except for a Viper which seemed to have a sweet spot at 30k for an older early low mileage model. In the past two years they have creept into the low forties. The Ford GT that was selling for 150k new in the mid 2000's was never going to happen.

My 1998 BMW low mileage pristine M3 will most likely be my last. Not like the old days, everything is so delicate on it and just working on one item can easily break something else.

Now I have noticed when attending Cars and Coffee the older iron is disappearing. Guys my age and older are pulling up with brand new Vettes, Camaro's Challengers and Mustangs. I guess with these throw backs it is a lot easier to relive your youth than tackle an enormous resto project or the high dollar cost of those cars built 40 plus years ago.

Same with motorcycles, every spring a buddy and I attend a huge motorcycle show here. Lots of old bikes and those of my youth, Bultaco, CZ, Hodaka, etc.

One thing we notice is the lack of youth at these outings and we wonder who these treasures will get passed down to.

I think car culture as us boomers know it is disappearing. Most of my students attending technical college gravitate towards the near throwback cars and the rest who don't own big trucks just want to go from point to point b.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,451,636 times
Our car club is actually growing while many of the other car clubs are dying.
It's probably because we're making an actual effort to sign up new members.
Plus, there are no restrictions... you don't even have to own a car.

Now we've got businesses asking us to put on cruise-ins for them, which is quite lucrative for our charities.
We may end up putting on our car show and four of our own cruise-ins, plus several others that we're being paid to put on.

Looks like a busy season coming up. Only five weeks till the old Merkur comes out of storage!

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Soon to be 59 and I consider myself addicted to cars.......luckily I have always had a supportive wife and good job to feed my addictions.

As I get older and my ability to wrench on vehicles or find affordable old iron are diminishing. I have slowly crossed just about everything off my bucket list except for a Viper which seemed to have a sweet spot at 30k for an older early low mileage model. In the past two years they have creept into the low forties. The Ford GT that was selling for 150k new in the mid 2000's was never going to happen.

My 1998 BMW low mileage pristine M3 will most likely be my last. Not like the old days, everything is so delicate on it and just working on one item can easily break something else.

Now I have noticed when attending Cars and Coffee the older iron is disappearing. Guys my age and older are pulling up with brand new Vettes, Camaro's Challengers and Mustangs. I guess with these throw backs it is a lot easier to relive your youth than tackle an enormous resto project or the high dollar cost of those cars built 40 plus years ago.

Same with motorcycles, every spring a buddy and I attend a huge motorcycle show here. Lots of old bikes and those of my youth, Bultaco, CZ, Hodaka, etc.

One thing we notice is the lack of youth at these outings and we wonder who these treasures will get passed down to.

I think car culture as us boomers know it is disappearing. Most of my students attending technical college gravitate towards the near throwback cars and the rest who don't own big trucks just want to go from point to point b.
Right, this is why I believe the auto industry is trying out the latest tactics. SUVs used to be mom and pop vehicles for the most part so...

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Our car club is actually growing while many of the other car clubs are dying.
It's probably because we're making an actual effort to sign up new members.
Plus, there are no restrictions... you don't even have to own a car.

Now we've got businesses asking us to put on cruise-ins for them, which is quite lucrative for our charities.
We may end up putting on our car show and four of our own cruise-ins, plus several others that we're being paid to put on.

Looks like a busy season coming up. Only five weeks till the old Merkur comes out of storage!
What's your take on environmental conciousness then and why do people act like it's a universal thing, even though you won't see any of this talk going on still in say many 3rd world countries or even Italy still has some of the least pushy enviromental standards out there

I mean are we supposed to give up all of our transport in the name of enviromentalism? Should we just starve to death and drink faucet water even though it's probably covered in toxins while bottled water isn't?

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

5,506 posts, read 1,833,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Right, this is why I believe the auto industry is trying out the latest tactics.
Keeping us madly in love with our rolling living rooms is integral to their marketing and essential to their survival. You need only step back a little to see a couple of generations of marketing effort shining through almost every post in these forums.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 1,451,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
What's your take on environmental conciousness then and why do people act like it's a universal thing, even though you won't see any of this talk going on still in say many 3rd world countries or even Italy still has some of the least pushy enviromental standards out there

I mean are we supposed to give up all of our transport in the name of enviromentalism? Should we just starve to death and drink faucet water even though it's probably covered in toxins while bottled water isn't?
To my knowledge, no one in my club gives a crap about it when it comes to the classics.
Their regular cars are the same ones everyone else drives... a mixture of cars, trucks and SUVs, both import and domestic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or