U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM
DKM

2,413 posts, read 827,456 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new car this weekend. The lowest prices I found online were using the Edmunds build your car tool. I still got it for less but not much less than the best price on there. Costco and Truecar are about $1k more but still better than most people can negotiate. The key is avoiding the dealers that want to play tricks (come down and test drive!) and just negotiate online with emails. They were really aggressive at fighting for the sale (its a slow month)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM

3,031 posts, read 729,098 times
My strategy for buying a car is to find out who has the car I want in stock near me within 200 miles. Then I call around and ask them who what they will give me. The last time, I had had a few offers from one of those email thingies. When I went to buy it at the lowest price, it was gone. So I called a few other places and said if you give it to me for $x, I will give you a deposit over the phone right now. I was willing to drive a little to get it.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 PM

3,031 posts, read 729,098 times
Also, I tend to find the big cities and suburbs have the highest prices. I live in the Chicago burbs and we have bought our the last three of our cars outside the state. Two were delivered to us and one we drove to get.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Ask them to deal with you using the car invoice (NOT the sticker on the car)...I bought 2 cars this way. They both times asked me how I knew to ask for this...they were surprised.

You can then negotiate, as you know how much they have in the car.
You got duped.....you did the dealer a favor by doing that. Oldest trick in the book....

In "invoice" is an absolutely meaningless number. More times than not, if you pay invoice price you paid too much. The "invoice" is not dealer cost, and sometimes there is a big gap between the two.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I am in the process of buying a new car right now. Simply go to the manufacturers web site, develop a configuration, and email it to the sales manager at five local dealerships asking for their lowest price. Surprising that there is over a 6% difference in the lowest to highest price and a difference in their attitude towards customer service. If you are trading in a car or counting on financing there may be other factors that can make a big difference in the bottom line.
This is the best way to go about it once you have decided which car you want. Get dealers competing against each other on the same make/model car with the same options.

Ask for the quote on a "Buyers Order" with all the fees, etc, included. This will be the best way to compare apples to apples. If one dealer charges you a $500 DOC fee, but the car itself is $600 cheaper then you still may be better off.

Sometimes out of state dealers will waive the DOC fee if you goto the DMV on your own to do the registration/taxes, as opposed to letting them or a 3rd party agency do it.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM

4,967 posts, read 5,736,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
This is the best way to go about it once you have decided which car you want. Get dealers competing against each other on the same make/model car with the same options.

Ask for the quote on a "Buyers Order" with all the fees, etc, included. This will be the best way to compare apples to apples. If one dealer charges you a $500 DOC fee, but the car itself is $600 cheaper then you still may be better off.

Sometimes out of state dealers will waive the DOC fee if you goto the DMV on your own to do the registration/taxes, as opposed to letting them or a 3rd party agency do it.
Donít count on dealers just emailing out OTD figures on a new car. They know that youíre shopping and will be reluctant to help another dealer sell you a car. You will have better negotiating power if youíre in the showroom and are a serious buyer.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Donít count on dealers just emailing out OTD figures on a new car. They know that youíre shopping and will be reluctant to help another dealer sell you a car. You will have better negotiating power if youíre in the showroom and are a serious buyer.
Certainly in-person is best, but sometimes that isn't possible if you are quoting from dealers outside of your area. If not, call them first and talk to someone on the phone. Then you can get their email and send them the specs you want quoted. At least an initial phone call can prove you mean business, as sometimes that doesn't work as well over emailing them first.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 PM

45 posts, read 12,167 times
First, do not buy the Telluride or Palisade for at least six months. I'm very intrigued with these but Hyundai/Kia is going to have their as**s handed to them initially. I have a top of the line Santa Fe and absolutely love it but the target market for these vehicles is a tough nut to crack. I think Hyundai/Kia will eventually get there but they're going to have to make the value proposition so irresistible as to be almost crazy. These will be loss leaders for at least a year or two. For example, if you wanted a top of the line 2019 Santa Fe in the Bay Area right now you could probably get a few dealers to sell them to you below their cost just to get them off the lots. There are that many in inventory.

As far as the best way to buy one when the time comes. Go to Penfed Credit Union and set up an account. Then use their car buying service (Truecar) and blanket an area within 100 miles. You will get calls and emails almost instantly and then you just start pitting them against each other. Keep in mind that telling a dealer you are going to pay cash for a car is a turnoff. Dealers don't make a lot of money on the sale, they make it in the finance office. If you really want the best deal, pit them against each other but make sure to tell them you want to finance it and want a good deal on an extended warranty. The minute you drive it off the lot, pay off the loan and cancel the extended warranty. Penfed offers .99% financing on new cars when you go through their service.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 AM

2,806 posts, read 1,604,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Also, I tend to find the big cities and suburbs have the highest prices. I live in the Chicago burbs and we have bought our the last three of our cars outside the state. Two were delivered to us and one we drove to get.
I find the exact opposite. More dealers to compete against each other. We have multiple Ford dealers in Austin. I had them working against each other and got the best price.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,234,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I just bought a new car this weekend. The lowest prices I found online were using the Edmunds build your car tool. I still got it for less but not much less than the best price on there. Costco and Truecar are about $1k more but still better than most people can negotiate. The key is avoiding the dealers that want to play tricks (come down and test drive!) and just negotiate online with emails. They were really aggressive at fighting for the sale (its a slow month)...
I agree- the last couple cars I just did with a bunch of e mails. When I hit a price I was comfortable with, I jumped. I then pretty much just went down and signed the papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or