U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 PM

239 posts, read 40,741 times

Advertisements

I consider myself to be very good at negotiating on cars and it’s something I do a fairly frequently but recently a dealer just completely confused me by just plain flat ignoring my request for a itemised OTD cash price. They just ignored it totally and kept asking me what options I was interested in ( despite the car in question being a in stock car on their lot ). Eventually I basically just bought another car because they just refused to give me a number. This was all over email btw ... some dealers are just terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 AM

4,967 posts, read 5,736,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I consider myself to be very good at negotiating on cars and itís something I do a fairly frequently but recently a dealer just completely confused me by just plain flat ignoring my request for a itemised OTD cash price. They just ignored it totally and kept asking me what options I was interested in ( despite the car in question being a in stock car on their lot ). Eventually I basically just bought another car because they just refused to give me a number. This was all over email btw ... some dealers are just terrible.
Honest question. Had that dealer emailed you an itemized OTD cash price, would you have just come in to buy it afterwards?

Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 AM

9,931 posts, read 20,768,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Hi everyone. I am considering purchasing a new car within the next year. My 2013 Accord has been great, but itís getting a little long in the tooth. Iíve been thinking about getting an SUV, and the Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade look really impressive to me.

Iím a good negotiator/haggler, and I know about all the strategies/tricks: e-mail blitzes, holdbacks, secret incentives, buying at the end of a month/quarter, etc. But Iíve noticed that dealer prices vary wildly, and the lowest prices on Car Gurus/Auto Trader may be the best deals people are getting.

Instead of going through all the futz of an e-mail blast, etc., I was simply thinking of searching for the lowest price for the car on the websites, and asking my local dealer(s) if they could beat, or at least come close to the price. I know Iíll have to factor for dealer fees, and in cases where a dealer is really far away, travel costs, but Iím thinking this could be a good strategy to get a good price on a car with minimal hassle. For example, Iíve seen Pilot Elites, which retail for 49K, advertised as low as 43K, which is about as low as people have mentioned getting the car for on auto forums. A fully loaded Telluride looks like itís going to be 47K, and Iím thinking a fully loaded Palisade might be 49K. If I could get one of these cars for 40-42K (after the initial hype dies down) I think Iíd be pretty happy.

Thoughts on this strategy? Thanks for any advice.
I used the car gurus and car fax to find a car. We looked up to 300 miles if I remember correctly which brought us to NJ, PA and Delaware. In the end, we found a few we wanted, 2015 Mazda CX5 fully loaded but the blue color as all I see are the gray, white, black and some red around. The 2 blues were pretty hard to find. My hub delivers new cars so knew all the dealers we were going to deal with. He just happened to be delivering to a few so spoke to them in person about the one we wanted. Not one would come down in price from what's listed on the apps or web sites we used. They said that was their bottom dollar for a used car. We weren't buying new this time as the employee price for new was still pretty far from what a 2 year old car cost.

My suggestion would be to also look a few hundred miles away just to see what's out there. You can also do 500 miles to see what other states prices are.

We drove 2 1/2 hours to look at the car then my hub got a dolly to bring it home as he wasn't delivering out there that week. We're happy with what we paid as we knew it was the bottom price. We really have an advantage with the apps and sites. Dealers know this. They price their cars low to get you to jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My strategy for buying a car is to find out who has the car I want in stock near me within 200 miles. Then I call around and ask them who what they will give me. The last time, I had had a few offers from one of those email thingies. When I went to buy it at the lowest price, it was gone. So I called a few other places and said if you give it to me for $x, I will give you a deposit over the phone right now. I was willing to drive a little to get it.
We missed one car because we couldn't get out there but it's ok because it was a gray model. You really have to move fast on cars that are priced to sell.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Honest question. Had that dealer emailed you an itemized OTD cash price, would you have just come in to buy it afterwards?

Well I was dealing with 3 essentially identical cars ... I didnít care which dealer I bought from as all of them were from out of state. I knew exactly what I wanted and didnít have a trade or finance to arrange. It was just a straight cash deal for a car. I wanted the best OTD price they could do in a itemised list and I was going to compare the numbers. I bought one of the cars... the dealer overnighted me the paperwork and I wired them the funds and arranged my transport company to pick up the car. It was a easy transaction in the end. I donít think car dealerships have exactly an easy time these days but they have to adapt to the new ways people buy cars and this really just surprised me and made me feel like they were not trustworthy.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Donít count on dealers just emailing out OTD figures on a new car. They know that youíre shopping and will be reluctant to help another dealer sell you a car. You will have better negotiating power if youíre in the showroom and are a serious buyer.
The last 6 new cars Iíve bought ... Iíve never stepped into the showroom except to take delivery and sometimes not even then.

Used cars ... well honestly Iíve bought only 1 at a dealer recently and I did go to see it first but Iíve bought 2 at Auctions in person this year and another one online at Bring a trailer.

I think the old way of buying cars is over for good.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 AM

5,196 posts, read 5,243,044 times
Quote:
I consider myself to be very good at negotiating on cars and itís something I do a fairly frequently but recently a dealer just completely confused me by just plain flat ignoring my request for a itemised OTD cash price. They just ignored it totally and kept asking me what options I was interested in ( despite the car in question being a in stock car on their lot ). Eventually I basically just bought another car because they just refused to give me a number. This was all over email btw ... some dealers are just terrible.
Exactly.

I visited 7 dealerships in 3 states. The numbers and process was all over the place.

Two new car dealerships had no access to the one computer for all showroom people. And "Joe" the computer guy was busy. Therefore they could not give me a price. Maybe emails - although takes longer - might be a good idea for some situations.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,234,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I used the car gurus and car fax to find a car. We looked up to 300 miles if I remember correctly which brought us to NJ, PA and Delaware. In the end, we found a few we wanted, 2015 Mazda CX5 fully loaded but the blue color as all I see are the gray, white, black and some red around. The 2 blues were pretty hard to find. My hub delivers new cars so knew all the dealers we were going to deal with. He just happened to be delivering to a few so spoke to them in person about the one we wanted. Not one would come down in price from what's listed on the apps or web sites we used. They said that was their bottom dollar for a used car. We weren't buying new this time as the employee price for new was still pretty far from what a 2 year old car cost.

My suggestion would be to also look a few hundred miles away just to see what's out there. You can also do 500 miles to see what other states prices are.

We drove 2 1/2 hours to look at the car then my hub got a dolly to bring it home as he wasn't delivering out there that week. We're happy with what we paid as we knew it was the bottom price. We really have an advantage with the apps and sites. Dealers know this. They price their cars low to get you to jump.

We missed one car because we couldn't get out there but it's ok because it was a gray model. You really have to move fast on cars that are priced to sell.
I second the notion to look outside of your area. I drove across state for my last vehicle, as a dealer was offering the car for thousands less.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:14 PM

6,604 posts, read 3,635,403 times
Quote:
The last 6 new cars Iíve bought ... Iíve never stepped into the showroom except to take delivery and sometimes not even then.

Used cars ... well honestly Iíve bought only 1 at a dealer recently and I did go to see it first but Iíve bought 2 at Auctions in person this year and another one online at Bring a trailer.

I think the old way of buying cars is over for good.

I always visit the dealer. I like to intercept my target vehicle as it comes off the truck. That way it's never been test driven and I don't have to deal with all the stupid dealer add-ons that add another $2000 to the price. Both my Hyundai and my wife's Subaru were bought this way...right off the truck with all the plastic wrap still on them. My Jeep was a special order, so again, never test driven. My truck was the only one that had been on the lot, and it had 12 miles on the odo. But for almost $16k off the factory sticker, I wasn't going to complain. Another reason to look before you buy is the build date. Do you really want something that's been on the lot for a year? I always look at the build date. My truck had been built four months earlier, so it had been on the lot for two or three months. But again, I got it for a little under $16k off the sticker price.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:23 PM

1,084 posts, read 782,689 times
I've had the best luck with Consumer Reports 'Build and Buy' program. It uses TrueCar.com, but the prices are slightly lower (at least $100 lower based on being a CR member). You have to buy a digital subscription to CR (only $12) but well worth it in my experience. They have some great tips on how to save and what to avoid at the dealership also.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 AM

25,745 posts, read 61,271,957 times
I have a friend who uses a service that tells him the exact cost to the dealer and all of the incentives that are available to them at the time. I do not know the name of the service, but he has to pay for it and it is not super cheap (hundred or hundreds of dollars), but is saves him thousands.

He prints out exactly what he wants adds a reasonable profit factoring in available incentives to dealers and drops it off at several dealerships with the note: "First one to call and say yes gets the sale. Do not call with alternate offers."

Some still call with alternate offers of course but one or more always says yes.

It may help that the cars he buys are in the $80K to $200K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or