U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 04:13 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,384,801 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am considering purchasing a new car within the next year. My 2013 Accord has been great, but itís getting a little long in the tooth. Iíve been thinking about getting an SUV, and the Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade look really impressive to me.

Iím a good negotiator/haggler, and I know about all the strategies/tricks: e-mail blitzes, holdbacks, secret incentives, buying at the end of a month/quarter, etc. But Iíve noticed that dealer prices vary wildly, and the lowest prices on Car Gurus/Auto Trader may be the best deals people are getting.

Instead of going through all the futz of an e-mail blast, etc., I was simply thinking of searching for the lowest price for the car on the websites, and asking my local dealer(s) if they could beat, or at least come close to the price. I know Iíll have to factor for dealer fees, and in cases where a dealer is really far away, travel costs, but Iím thinking this could be a good strategy to get a good price on a car with minimal hassle. For example, Iíve seen Pilot Elites, which retail for 49K, advertised as low as 43K, which is about as low as people have mentioned getting the car for on auto forums. A fully loaded Telluride looks like itís going to be 47K, and Iím thinking a fully loaded Palisade might be 49K. If I could get one of these cars for 40-42K (after the initial hype dies down) I think Iíd be pretty happy.

Thoughts on this strategy? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 PM

2,786 posts, read 1,937,345 times
Do not ever, ever pay any dealer fees! Research the model, average prices, and what you are willing to pay and stick to it, don't budge. If the dealer doesn't want to work with you, walk out.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:20 PM

5,195 posts, read 5,220,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Iím a good negotiator/haggler, and I know about all the strategies/tricks: e-mail blitzes, holdbacks, secret incentives, buying at the end of a month/quarter, etc. But Iíve noticed that dealer prices vary wildly, and the lowest prices on Car Gurus/Auto Trader may be the best deals people are getting.
You have already stated the strategies. As stated in other posts here there are certain months, certain times of month, end of year, end of model year, and leftovers.

Just get a price and take to your local dealer or the next dealer, etc. Done.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:12 PM

22,124 posts, read 4,646,828 times
Ask them to deal with you using the car invoice (NOT the sticker on the car)...I bought 2 cars this way. They both times asked me how I knew to ask for this...they were surprised.

You can then negotiate, as you know how much they have in the car.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:54 PM

5,195 posts, read 5,220,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Ask them to deal with you using the car invoice (NOT the sticker on the car)...I bought 2 cars this way. They both times asked me how I knew to ask for this...they were surprised.

There are a multitude on "invoices" and "dealer costs" out there. There are sometimes regional advertising fees, 3% holdback, manufacturers dealer only incentives, etc.

Some dealers can throw out any number and call it dealer invoice.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:01 PM

6,572 posts, read 3,608,241 times
At the end of the day, it's like you going up against an NBA team in a game of basketball. They're the pros, you're the amateur.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:41 AM

2,042 posts, read 845,517 times
I leverage Costco to buy my new cars and they seem to be the best discounts I have found for most models. Their program is a renegotiated straight discount program. You tell them the car or truck you want, they tell you the dealer. Call the dealer, they look in their system for the MRP, and costco tells you the price. When I bought my Outback I got almost $4k off the sticker of a car that was impossible to get due to a long backorder and some dealers were charging a premium uncharge.

I say 'most models' because many will find that negotiating directly for a vehicle like a GM, Ford, or Ram truck will get them a much better discount off sticker. But for most vehicles, Costco seems to be the best.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:32 AM

3,461 posts, read 5,521,182 times
The AutoNation dealer I purchased from immediately dropped the price down to about $200 below the Cargurus good price without me asking and we went from from there.

It's going to depend on the dealership, time of year, and model you are buying...really no way around it. If they can easily sell to another buyer for more money they probably won't be willing to negotiate much.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:59 AM

5,340 posts, read 21,021,616 times
I am in the process of buying a new car right now. Simply go to the manufacturers web site, develop a configuration, and email it to the sales manager at five local dealerships asking for their lowest price. Surprising that there is over a 6% difference in the lowest to highest price and a difference in their attitude towards customer service. If you are trading in a car or counting on financing there may be other factors that can make a big difference in the bottom line.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 15,537,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Not really.

Bought mine for around $2,000 under invoice. I mean, invoice is sort of elusive but generally available. It's really just MSRP for a dealer and not published. Just as an individual you almost never need to pay MSRP for a car, same for the dealers. They're negotiating on holdback, volume incentives, and so on. Unless it's a new model that's in high demand and short supply where the dealers are clamoring to get them on the lot they aren't paying invoice. In my case I was looking at the opposite, older model with weak demand an a huge supply glut. Contacted five dealers, four of them were within $500. Went with a closer dealer rather than drive 50 miles to save $200 since I wasn't trading anything in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or