U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM

6,539 posts, read 3,594,741 times

Advertisements

AZ has eye testing machines at each station. That's how it's done there. Don't pass, no license, just a state ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 AM

3,278 posts, read 1,196,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What the Hell would that Dr note say ? " Please excuse Mr/Mrs Metroplitan from an eye exam because they have terrible eyesight, but still want to drive" ?

How do you drive if you can't see well ?
Carefully. Do you have a problem with that?

What is your definition of "see well"?

Old 02-18-2019, 03:50 AM

5,565 posts, read 2,149,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In fact, a driver who knows he is legally blind is likely safer than one who thinks he can see perfectly. Nobody wants to have an accident, and a person with known visual deficiency will take necessary precautions in driving.
Not necessarily. There are people who refuse to acknowledge that their vision is declining to the point they are a hazard to others. It is overconfidence and arrogance. As long as no one else does something wrong/unexpected and with sheer luck they get away with it. When something out of the ordinary happens the problem gets exposed, with damages or injuries to an innocent driver. If you can't read the test figures you can't read road signs which means you make mistakes and sudden dumb moves in traffic. If you can't distinguish colors you may not notice signal changes, hazard signals, or be able to read print on colored backgrounds. If your peripheral vision is shot, you won't notice traffic around you until its too close to avoid. Obviously if your depth perception is bad you can't judge distances.

I listened to an aging parent confess stuff like this. He had lost all vision in one eye years earlier which in itself isn't a huge problem, but he had a progressing cataract in the good eye he would not do anything about. At his age the DMV required periodic vision testing that he barely passed. Managed to get a restricted license one year but ignored the restrictions. Before the next renewal his vision continued to degrade (tunnel vision, couldn't see at night, halos, fuzziness that he complained about). Family and local friends would try to prevent him driving, offering to drive instead, turning down rides if he insisted on driving, persuading him not to go out at night. Unfortunately he was an aggressive lead foot too, again, overconfident in his declining abilities.

He started causing fender benders and was finally sued by one of the victims. Lost in court, lost his insurance, license pulled entirely. Pitched a fit when it all ended. We finally had to hide his car keys to keep him out of the car. According to him it was the state's problem for being so unreasonable.

Sorry for the rant. This garbage has hit close to home. There was no excuse for what that parent did. I'm just glad he didn't cause any injuries to anyone before the hammer dropped.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-18-2019 at 04:13 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 04:48 AM

^^^^ I said "likely" and you said "not necessarily". Looks like we're on the same page.

If your father was blind in one eye and seriously impared in the other and refused treatment, and still "barely passed" the DMV eye test, what does that tell you about the efficacy of those tests to evaluate driving qualification?

I'd say, and I bet you agree, that your father is pretty much an exception to the psychological model.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 AM

4,335 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:

I'd say, and I bet you agree, that your father is pretty much an exception to the psychological model.
He doesnt sound like the exception to me. Many older people want to stay independent. Many are alone or dont want to call on others to drive them around as well.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
He doesnt sound like the exception to me. Many older people want to stay independent. Many are alone or dont want to call on others to drive them around as well.
Of course they all want to stay independent, but most have enough common sense that they can be persuaded. Statistically, there is no evidence that older drivers are the menace that is anecdotally described, because they do voluntarily cut back on their driving and are consciously aware if their diminished capacity.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 AM

3,554 posts, read 975,278 times
Quote:
Of course they all want to stay independent, but most have enough common sense that they can be persuaded. Statistically, there is no evidence that older drivers are the menace that is anecdotally described, because they do voluntarily cut back on their driving and are consciously aware if their diminished capacity.
Apparently you never been to Florida we’re the older people think they are still great drivers until they crash through a store front window. I lived there for 6 years in Clearwater Florida and I’ll tell you what older people don’t give up driving until the law says they have to. If they can’t drive their vehicle they get behind the wheel of a golf cart and drive just as bad, because you’re allowed to drive them on sidewalks there and take them to the store and bars.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 AM

12,778 posts, read 19,404,488 times
Some states do allow you to get your vision tested at an eye doctor and submit the results instead of using the machines at the DMV.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM

3,022 posts, read 1,184,113 times
My B-I-L was required by the DMV to get a letter from his doctor before they would issue him a license. He passed the DMV test but has had a serious eye injury in which he lost one eye. Because of that he was able to pass the test but was still required to have a form filed out and signed by his doctor before they would reissue a license. The doctor was the last resort. It wasn't easy, first doctor said no, so he returned to his original doctor and was able to get the form filled out. He does have restrictions on his license.

That was an unusual circumstance, not sure just a note from Doc would resolve your situation.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 AM

4,297 posts, read 3,560,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Each state should want licensed drivers to be able to see. If TN doesn't, glad I don't drive there.
Tennessee most certainly does with their own vision testing machines and a visit to the eye doctor if warranted. In that regard you can be assured they are definitely testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or