U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

3,554 posts, read 975,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
UM......in Florida you get the real ID and you do have to take a vision test, and a sign test every so often to renew your license. A doctors note is not going to do it-except maybe if you had cataracts removed and no longer need glasses. But even with the note to just change the glasses requirement on mine they had me do a quick one line read in the machine. My license was not up for renewal at that time, so just renewed them in December. Had to go in and they did the eye test.
I didnít have to take any kind of test when i moved to Florida, i had a Illinois drivers license went to get a Florida drivers license and the woman at the tax collector office told me that since i had a Illinois DL i didnít have to take ant type of test. I told my wife that even Stevie wonder could get a drivers license in Florida. And i wear glasses also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

3,506 posts, read 6,010,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
how many times have older drivers been in the news because they hit the gas instead of the brake? I think you need to read the news a little more.

But for every quote of a bad senior driver, there can also be a quote for bad younger drivers, too. Florida has a problem with drivers of all ages. None of us-me included follow all the rules of the road.

People of all ages are too impatient and in a hurry. People gun it to get through the yellow light at 70 to end up running red lights all the time. Rule you need to know in Florida.....just because you have a light turn green, sit a few seconds before entering the intersection because some dumb*ss thinks their time is so much more important that they can't stop for the minute or 2 to allow the people with the green light to go.

Some drivers tend to drive 90 on the interstate, think people driving speed limit drive too slow. They don't always slow down enough and even rear end people going 70-75 on the interstates. Lord help you if you get stuck behind a tourist driving 50 on the interstate. Entitled driversof all ages tend to weave in and out of traffic and take to the grass to get around the people that are driving bumper to bumper during drive time at exits that are notorious for back ups like Champion's gate on I-4.

Then there are the teens that think they are such good drivers that they can text their friends at the same time. They don't get driver's ed in school like they used to and often are so inexperienced that they over react. Then add in the people who move here from the cities where they never had to drive a car and get their first license here. More inexperienced driver's on the road. And then if you add in the people who come here from Central America and some of the islands who have driven where traffic rules are "implied "
for example in Costa Rica you can drive between the 2 lanes of traffic going opposite directions to get around someone you think is too slow making the other cars drive on the sides of the roads etc. and they have few stop signs.

And then you have the tourists with licenses and rules of the road from every country and state that tend sometimes to just stop in the middle of the road to find their way on maps or GPS etc.

And then if you drive late at night when the bars are closing and the drinkers and druggies are on the road you never know what might happen.

So don't blame just the old people. Bad driving in Florida is across the board, not just 1 age group.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I didnít have to take any kind of test when i moved to Florida, i had a Illinois drivers license went to get a Florida drivers license and the woman at the tax collector office told me that since i had a Illinois DL i didnít have to take ant type of test. I told my wife that even Stevie wonder could get a drivers license in Florida. And i wear glasses also.
How long ago for your license? I had to take a written test of rules and an eye test when I moved here from Illinois. Now you cannot even use the Illinois license as ID to get a Florida license. I have never had a speeding ticket or accident in Florida in 40 years, but have had to do a sign test and or vision test to renew or just change the address when we have moved.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I once had a FL DL and I lived there, and I never heard of a serious age-related crash. So you know of one person who crashed into a store, out of ten-million drivers. Are you sure no middle-ager with normal vision ever crashed into a store? Blind seniors are much less likely to drive drunk, or while texting, or showing off, or in road rage.

I drove regularly for 25 years after becoming eligible for SS disability for legal blindness. It's not that hard to drive when legally blind, as long as you know the nature of your impairment and are careful to drive within the limits of your disability.
Just like a drunk person thinks they can drive.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

4,335 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:

Exactly!!

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

3,554 posts, read 975,278 times
Quote:
How long ago for your license? I had to take a written test of rules and an eye test when I moved here from Illinois. Now you cannot even use the Illinois license as ID to get a Florida license. I have never had a speeding ticket or accident in Florida in 40 years, but have had to do a sign test and or vision test to renew or just change the address when we have moved.
In 2011 went to the tax collector on us19 in palm harbor Florida they only looked at our vehicle everything else was reciprocal with Illinois. Maybe the woman screwed up because i just had the vision test in Illinois before i went to Florida.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

2,150 posts, read 1,551,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Each state should want licensed drivers to be able to see. If TN doesn't, glad I don't drive there.
LOL!!!! Ya know?!?

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

3,278 posts, read 1,196,644 times
Quote:

Except that what a drunk person thinks is influenced by intoxication. Blind people have no such diminished reason. So it is not "just like".

Do you know that raising the speed limit from 55 to 70 increased your stopping distance by more than legal intoxication would have? So taking down the 55s in effect was like making every driver drunk

Old Today, 12:07 PM

4,335 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:
Except that what a drunk person thinks is influenced by intoxication. Blind people have no such diminished reason. So it is not "just like".

Do you know that raising the speed limit from 55 to 70 increased your stopping distance by more than legal intoxication would have? So taking down the 55s in effect was like making every driver drunk
Then add in the blind drivers on top of that and its scary! lol

It is EXACTLY the same as the drunk driver thinking he can drive. you may not be able to blame that thought on drinking for blind people though lol

Old Today, 01:45 PM

8,741 posts, read 7,717,415 times
Quote:
Of course they all want to stay independent, but most have enough common sense that they can be persuaded. Statistically, there is no evidence that older drivers are the menace that is anecdotally described, because they do voluntarily cut back on their driving and are consciously aware if their diminished capacity.
According to statistics, the most dangerous drivers having the most wrecks by age category is the young 16 to 26 category.

I am 87 years old, and renewed my license last September. I was given an eye test, and passed with flying colors for no glasses required.

Age is not always the factor some think it is. It depends on the vision of each driver. Some in their 30s and some even younger cannot pass an eye exam to be drivers for one reason or another.

Driving is something that is not just age dependent. It is dependent on each persons ability, sight, etc.

I have no limitations on my drivers license. My doctors tell me I am the healthiest person for my age, of all their patients. My reflexes and sight are excellent yet. However I do not drive at night for a simple reason. When in traffic, the lights hitting my eyes from others headlights, and no headlights, and repeat headlights, make it difficult for me to see well enough to drive safely. My eyes no longer adjust for light no light, light conditions of driving in traffic, so I restrict myself and do not drive at night under any conditions.

My wife of 67 years stopped driving a little over 2 years ago, as she felt she no longer had the reflexes needed to drive safely.

When I can no longer drive safely, I will do what my wife did, stop on my own. We have a nice car Explorer Limited fully loaded, and we will hire someone to drive for us as needed instead of keeping driving when I do not have vision to do so safely, or my reflexes start to slow down. We don't take care of our 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level (no basement) home. We have a 3 day a week housekeeper for that purpose.

We have a person using our equipment, to mow and care for our 1 acre of landscaping spring, summer, and fall, plus using our snow plow blade on our tractor to plow out 30 X 150 foot area for parking and driving in from the lane, and a 400 ft. private gravel lane down to the county road that separates the best part of the city from the county when snow flies.

We know there are things that we should not do, or cannot do safely, and we hire others do for us, what would not be wise for us to do. And driving is one of those things I will give up when I feel a little bit unsure of my ability. We will then hire someone to drive us.

We have a post office, a large independent grocery store where we buy perishable, a good small hardware and a building supply. All about 1 mile from our home. Good medical clinic and 10 bed trauma center hospital 1 1/2 mile from home built new about 3 years ago. Our medical system that this is a part of, has won about every major award possible, and if we need to go 50 miles to the bigger facility, they have an ambulance here, and can call in one their own helicopter.. This is the big medical facility for Montana, northern Wyoming, the Western part of The Dakotas, and a large section in Southern Canada. To cover this large area, they have 2 twin engine turbo prop planes. All of these manned 24/7 with top medical crews. They own it all, not like other cities who have services they can call, not owned and ready to fly at all times.

Because of this, I and my wife have not been to the big city in about 3 years now. I have found that the Internet will get me everything from non perishable groceries, to anything else we have needed, and not have to leave my computer desk to get it. The FedEx man comes here so often, that my dog and he are friends, and he always brings the dog a dog treat. Our big vicious Black 5 pound Chiwawa, will lick you to death if he gets a chance.

We feel safe as we have a police officer living across the street from our lane, and brings his car home. Half a block further down, a Sheriff and his car. And another half block another police officer with his K-9 partner, who has been a great search and rescue dog, and the County and Highway Patrol, call on him when they need a drug search done.

We live in a house there are 3 stairways between the 4 levels. We are not nuts and take chances, so we installed 3 chairlifts. We just sit down in an arm chair, and ride between floors.

We take care of our needs, and have help to keep living healthy lives. We live in a small town, there are no taxis, or other forms of transportation. As we get to where I should not drive we stop, and let others do the driving, clean our house take care of our home and yard. We are not one of those crazy couples that are going to drive no matter what. Don't want others to clean their homes, etc.

This is a long post, but want to say people as they age, need to realize what they can do, and do safely and must make allowances and let others do things for them, including driving. This post is aimed at those that have not accepted the fact that as they age, it is time to let others do things for them. Elderly life is much more fun, when you accept the fact you are getting old, and let things go that you have done in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or