Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Of course they all want to stay independent, but most have enough common sense that they can be persuaded. Statistically, there is no evidence that older drivers are the menace that is anecdotally described, because they do voluntarily cut back on their driving and are consciously aware if their diminished capacity.
how many times have older drivers been in the news because they hit the gas instead of the brake? I think you need to read the news a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
how many times have older drivers been in the news because they hit the gas instead of the brake? I think you need to read the news a little more.
"Senior drivers, like teenage drivers, have higher crash rates per mile driven, especially when it comes to fatal crashes. But seniors don't drive as many miles, so a better measurement of their susceptibility to accidents can be had by comparing crash rates on a per capita basis. Looking at the numbers in this way shows senior drivers have much lower crash rates. Despite their increased risk of crashing per mile driven, relatively few elderly drivers are involved in accidents because of their lower rates of exposure. In addition, the rate of fatalities per capita among seniors has decreased 40 percent since 1975 and is now at its lowest level during this period." LINK

Don't allow young people to obtain a drivers license until age 18.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
How to pass the eye exam HINTS:

1- Squint 2- Pull back a tad from the viewer, DON'T PRESS on the viewer.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Apparently you never been to Florida we’re the older people think they are still great drivers until they crash through a store front window. I lived there for 6 years in Clearwater Florida and I’ll tell you what older people don’t give up driving until the law says they have to. If they can’t drive their vehicle they get behind the wheel of a golf cart and drive just as bad, because you’re allowed to drive them on sidewalks there and take them to the store and bars.
I once had a FL DL and I lived there, and I never heard of a serious age-related crash. So you know of one person who crashed into a store, out of ten-million drivers. Are you sure no middle-ager with normal vision ever crashed into a store? Blind seniors are much less likely to drive drunk, or while texting, or showing off, or in road rage.

I drove regularly for 25 years after becoming eligible for SS disability for legal blindness. It's not that hard to drive when legally blind, as long as you know the nature of your impairment and are careful to drive within the limits of your disability.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
I once had a FL DL and I lived there, and I never heard of a serious age-related crash. So you know of one person who crashed into a store, out of ten-million drivers. Are you sure no middle-ager with normal vision ever crashed into a store? Blind seniors are much less likely to drive drunk, or while texting, or showing off, or in road rage.

I drove regularly for 25 years after becoming eligible for SS disability for legal blindness. It's not that hard to drive when legally blind, as long as you know the nature of your impairment and are careful to drive within the limits of your disability.
Here you go 79 year old kill 3 people.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/03/us/fl...ree/index.html

Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Carefully. Do you have a problem with that?

What is your definition of "see well"?

Well, when someone needs a chit from a Dr, telling them the patient has problems with their eyesight, that is so bad that they would not pass the eye exam, that kinda says a lot. Did you even read this line from the OP " but I cant pass the vision exam to transfer my license" ?

As for "Do I have a problem with that?" YES ! I live in Florida , the home of 95 year olds who can't walk or see, and they are out driving on the same roads as families, with children in the car. Just yesterday, a man I worked with got a call from 911, his wife had been T boned by an old couple and the family was rushed to the hospital. Thank God it was just a few broken bones, not that those are minor, but they could have been killed. When I saw the pictures of the two cars today, I shuddered to think how lucky they were to be alive. A year ago, I had a 95 year old rear end my car, causing over $6,500 in damages, because he thought the automatic braking would have stopped his car.

So, do YOU not care if the person driving a 4,000 pound car on the same road with YOUR family can not see well ?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
"Do I have a problem with that?" YES ! I live in Florida
I have driven in Florida and I can see why the insurance rates in Florida are so high.

And it ain't the old people. It is the rest of you folks rushing speeding everywhere you go. Constantly exceeding the speed limits. Driving through red lights. Passing cars left and right. And on and on.

And no state inspection of cars. Clunkers on the road with minimal or no maintenance.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Florida has by far the largest number of driver of old age and failing eyesight. But there are 15 states that have higher traffic fatality rates. One or two anecdotal incidents that you happen to know about does not change the reality.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/g...state-overview

Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
So, do YOU not care if the person driving a 4,000 pound car on the same road with YOUR family can not see well ?
No he doesnt, because he is in the same situation himself. He is defending another blind person driving lol It explains why he is so defensive about this.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m 64 and still mail mine in and Florida there are people in their 90’s still driving, because older people are their livelihood in Florida they love their money that they spend especially from the ones who retired from the north with a nice pension.
UM......in Florida you get the real ID and you do have to take a vision test, and a sign test every so often to renew your license. A doctors note is not going to do it-except maybe if you had cataracts removed and no longer need glasses. But even with the note to just change the glasses requirement on mine they had me do a quick one line read in the machine. My license was not up for renewal at that time, so just renewed them in December. Had to go in and they did the eye test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive