U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

25,658 posts, read 61,130,244 times

Advertisements

I love it. It makes me laugh. What an impractical thing! It is hideous, completely impractical and stupid, over priced. . .

Just hang fuzzy dice from the mirror or fake testicles form the trailer hitch. Either one is cheaper and does not eliminate the primary purpose of your pick up for all practical purposes.

Reminds me of those pictures of Japanese cars with the silly extreme mods like where they drive a round in a car that is make into a giant Godzilla or a Starship enterprise.

the only way that is going to improve MPG is by limiting your load size, or by making you drive more slowly due to vibrations and wind noise.

I have to stop going back and looking at those pictures. They make me laugh out loud and people working around me are starting to think i am insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

12,208 posts, read 16,198,252 times
If I was more concerned about gas mileage than functionality in a vehicle, I'd simply stay away from trucks. And as much as I dislike camper tops, it would be more functional than the ugly slanted thing shown.

But on the topic of bed covers, my 2014 F150 crewcab has a factory-installed tonneau cover that I'm finding to be a nuisance here in on the windy Texas South Plains. Three times this winter I've had to stop and roll the dumb thing back to the cab when the end latches turned loose in the wind and the cover began flopping like Superman's cape.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

9,731 posts, read 11,651,295 times
ummmm no

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

2,780 posts, read 2,160,094 times
Everybody says no. But if you had one on a decent looking truck. You would be asked questions every time you stopped, and saying how much they liked it.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM

17,011 posts, read 10,449,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Everybody says no. But if you had one on a decent looking truck. You would be asked questions every time you stopped, and saying how much they liked it.

I don't think so. No more than people compliment the idiots who drive Donks.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

17,231 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
God, is that hideous , or what ?

Yeah it’s pretty hideous not to mention basically useless.

Quote:
If you had a decent truck you would put a regular camper shell on. That’s what I have. $4000 bucks it’s a cab height color matched Snugtop Expo. Looks great. It’s a nice thing to throw stuff in the back and lock it up with the added bonus of keeping it out of the elements or prying eyes and hands.
As far as fuel savings...any savings is negated by the additional weight. I never noticed enough fuel savings that would pay off the initial cost. Even if there was some modicum of savings it’s so minute it might as well be invisible. But I bought the camper for different reasons. The additional weight helps with the ride though.

As a long time owner of trucks with many different camper shells I can tell you this shell is simply not user friendly and it’s very very impractical. This is for a very small niche market. It won’t survive the long run. If it does survive it’s going to be a limited few who will rush out to buy it

Old Today, 06:52 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,930,161 times
That made its way around the Mustang forums several months ago. Most dont like it.

A far as mileage goes, back when I frequented a now closed diesel board, one guy was trying ways to improve his mileage on his truck, and built a cover very, very similar to that, mostly from 2X4s and a blue tarp, eventually building something more permanent and sturdy using old covers he chopped up. He claimed, after a year of experimenting, that his mileage was up a consistent 3 more mpgs. Along with engine mods and other exterior changes, he got the truck up to around 28 on the highway.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

2,784 posts, read 1,585,268 times
Quote:
I completely disagree, unless you're talking about kids liking it. I think it looks completely stupid and it would never go anywhere near my truck.

Old Today, 07:39 AM

25,658 posts, read 61,130,244 times
Quote:
They might stop me and ask why I am driving a kid's truck. Is mine broken? Of course they might wonder whose kids truck it is because most people in our town know my kids are not idiots. In fact I do not think there are any kids I can think of dorky enough to drive around with that thing on their truck, but there must be one or two, there are always a few dorky kids around. I did once see a WRX with an absurdly large whale tail on it, but i think they were just visiting.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

17 posts, read 2,772 times
Nice informative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive