U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:15 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,930,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They might stop me and ask why I am driving a kid's truck. Is mine broken? Of course they might wonder whose kids truck it is because most people in our town know my kids are not idiots. In fact I do not think there are any kids I can think of dorky enough to drive around with that thing on their truck, but there must be one or two, there are always a few dorky kids around. I did once see a WRX with an absurdly large whale tail on it, but i think they were just visiting.
I get that driving my Mustang! People just find it amazing that a semi grey headed, grey bearded "old man" would drive a Mustang like mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:25 AM

2,780 posts, read 2,160,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I completely disagree, unless you're talking about kids liking it. I think it looks completely stupid and it would never go anywhere near my truck.

Never said I liked it. Just considering the bad taste lots of people can have, and will do to their vehicles for attention.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

2,784 posts, read 1,585,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Never said I liked it. Just considering the bad taste lots of people can have, and will do to their vehicles for attention.
Then color me confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Everybody says no. But if you had one on a decent looking truck. You would be asked questions every time you stopped, and saying how much they liked it.
So you don't like it, but think lots of other people will? I completely disagree. Again.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

744 posts, read 323,464 times
There was a guy on the Ecomodder forum who was building something similar but it never got investors etc. Probably because it didn't look as cool as this

Old Today, 09:58 AM

356 posts, read 89,164 times
An informative read for anyone considering "aerocaps":

https://ecomodder.com/blog/aerocaps-for-pick-up-trucks/

I agree with the poster who said they'd just avoid pickups if money was remotely important to them - in fact, I'm lucky if I put a few hundred miles on my truck per year, and commute in my tiny Honda - but many DO commute in a truck, don't have unlimited money, and only have anything in the bed that sticks out over the top a few times per year.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

25,658 posts, read 61,130,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
- but many DO commute in a truck, don't have unlimited money, and only have anything in the bed that sticks out over the top a few times per year.
. . . and therefore those people should buy this overpriced thing that will make their stuck look silly and will not increase MPG and may decrease MPG?

Frankly, if they have the money to buy this thing, and want to drive something stupid looking and ugly, they could just buy a used Prius to drive instead and leave their truck for special uses.

Old Today, 03:48 PM

3,766 posts, read 3,031,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I hear that a lot about my F150 that has the A.R.E. LSII tonneau cover on it. Everybody thinks I get better gas mileage due to having it and it making the truck more aero. Sorry, but no. It gets the same gas mileage as before the top. And considering I drive mostly hiway and check every tank, I can tell you that it adds nothing but a reasonably large, dry place to put things. But if you need to haul anything of any kind of size, it's a headache because you can't drive unless it's closed or you'll damage the flimsy hardware that makes it work. Tying it down is not a good option either since the only place to grab it with a rope is the flimsy locking rods. But I guess if you don't give a crap about the paint job you could run a chain over the top of it.
My Leer didn't improve mileage, either. On a pickup, figured it "might." Nope.

Paint matched, hard cover on hinges, that thing was about $1,300 too. Gave me a useful "trunk" in the PU in conjunction with a bed corral, great for hauling groceries and etc. now. Otherwise, just for looks. It is pretty, properly painted. And I'm not surprised that someone wants $4K to start on elaborate custom fiberglass, painted correctly, given cost of labor these days. That has always been the case, since I was a kid anyway.

Old Today, 03:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 3,031,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
An informative read for anyone considering "aerocaps":

https://ecomodder.com/blog/aerocaps-for-pick-up-trucks/

I agree with the poster who said they'd just avoid pickups if money was remotely important to them - in fact, I'm lucky if I put a few hundred miles on my truck per year, and commute in my tiny Honda - but many DO commute in a truck, don't have unlimited money, and only have anything in the bed that sticks out over the top a few times per year.
Yes to all of that.

Thought I'd be hauling motorcycles more often in mine, when bought. Nice to have, the half-dozen times I've used it for that purpose, but really.... Also nice for the odd lumber and other homeowner-type stuff. Otherwise, could have and probably should have saved the bother and bought another sedan. My truck doesn't even have four seats, unless the back two are midgets.

Seems many men, like me, have an urge to buy something useful and efficient like a PU, even if seldom used. For contractors, they are mandatory. Homeowners, nice to have a couple times a year, but the reality is that isn't very efficient after all.

...And they'll pry my Tacoma keys from my cold, dead hand.

Old Today, 04:25 PM

17,231 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
That made its way around the Mustang forums several months ago. Most dont like it.

A far as mileage goes, back when I frequented a now closed diesel board, one guy was trying ways to improve his mileage on his truck, and built a cover very, very similar to that, mostly from 2X4s and a blue tarp, eventually building something more permanent and sturdy using old covers he chopped up. He claimed, after a year of experimenting, that his mileage was up a consistent 3 more mpgs. Along with engine mods and other exterior changes, he got the truck up to around 28 on the highway.
I think I talked to that guy online. Iíve seen his mods. Itís a ton of work to get that mpg.

When o needed a vehicle that got good mpg for a commuter I went and bought a small fuel efficient vehicle. Iíve had as low was 27 mpg and as high as 37 mpg on long flat no traffic commutes. I donít expect to get good mpg out of a big full size truck. I buy diesels because they usually get better mpg than the counterpart with a gas engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive