U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:02 AM

3,234 posts, read 1,467,953 times

Advertisements

If they can't keep the starting MSRP under $20K, it will fail.
Left Hand Utes had a Chevy Tornado on their site for awhile. They must've sold it.

I like 'em. Saw lots of Tornados in Cozumel, Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,239,775 times
I know early Ridgelines had an issue with being used as a truck. If they were loaded down and then went across uneven surfaces that twisted the unibody slightly, it crinkled the sheet metal between the cab and bed. Even unloaded they would flex if going fast enough. Recent models have minimized this attribute. This article explains it well:

https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks...mes-1785674405

Old 02-18-2019, 07:37 AM

2,651 posts, read 3,180,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
From what I'm hearing about it, it's scheduled for production, not a concept anymore. Here's what they claim it's going to be. And I'd bet they sell a ton of them. It's sporty, it's small, and should get great gas mileage.
I will guarantee you they do not sell very well in the US market. If they sell 30,000 of them a year it will be a miracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
This is true however I think the Ridgeline's issue is largely one of price.

If Hyundai can keep this thing relatively inexpensive and obviously market it as a ute of some sort rather than a truck I think it could sell relatively well.
The problem isn't price. The problem is the vehicle itself. It is a unibody car with a small truck like bed so it sucks at both being a car as well as being a truck. It appeals to a very very small market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I know early Ridgelines had an issue with being used as a truck. If they were loaded down and then went across uneven surfaces that twisted the unibody slightly, it crinkled the sheet metal between the cab and bed. Even unloaded they would flex if going fast enough. Recent models have minimized this attribute. This article explains it well:

https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks...mes-1785674405
That is the problem with these small cars with truck beds. There are going to be those guys that get them and try to actually use them as trucks. It is the same type of guys that buy a 1/2 ton truck and try to use them to do the work of a 3/4 ton by overloading them and trying to pull trailers that are heavily loaded. If you actually try to use these little unibody trucks as trucks, it doesn't take much to overload them. They are basically good for going to grab a bag or two of mulch for around the house and hell you can put that in the trunk of a car. The bed is too small to fit sheets of plywood in them and it is too short to haul lumber. They can't pull much of any trailer load safely. I don't see much of any use for them.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 AM

25,729 posts, read 61,183,886 times
Some of these "trucks" have lower payload/towing capability than the sedans or hatchbacks they compete with. If they are cheap enough they might sell to high school kids.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:19 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,239,775 times
To be honest, I have owned several F150's. I seldom use the truck to near it's capabilities/capacities. I haul the occasional fridge, furniture, plywood, bicycle, etc.
A small unibody truck would probably suffice well for the types of hauling I do, but the price is not competitive.
I can invest the same money into an F150 and get the additional advantage of longevity, strength and wide ranging utility.

If these vehicles would be priced 18K to 30K depending upon convenience and creature comfort packages, then they would stand a chance in the market place. I would bet most will be priced in the 30k to 40K range.
You can buy a very nicely equipped full size for that price, and with the advent of smaller turbo motors in the full size, you won't sacrifice much in fuel economy.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 AM

7,660 posts, read 5,645,126 times
I just haven't seen it where the price is low enough to sway people en masse.

If you're getting 2/3 the car, you should expect to pay 2/3 the price. But a comparable Colorado is $37K to a $43K Silverado.

Arguments about size or gas mileage fall flat.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM

657 posts, read 386,718 times
Quote:
From what I'm hearing about it, it's scheduled for production, not a concept anymore. Here's what they claim it's going to be. And I'd bet they sell a ton of them. It's sporty, it's small, and should get great gas mileage.
Don't forget it is the best looking truck among all the uglies.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 PM

1,410 posts, read 434,849 times
Quote:
I disagree on the "and I'd bet they sell a ton of them" part. I doubt that thing will outsell the Ridgeline.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 PM

3,571 posts, read 982,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I disagree on the "and I'd bet they sell a ton of them" part. I doubt that thing will outsell the Ridgeline.
And for sure it won’t sell more the the best selling vehicle in America the F150.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 PM

17,241 posts, read 18,686,570 times
Quote:
I would buy this before a ridgeline. I wouldn’t mind a small single cab pick up to go get basic stuff at the hardware store or small items or commute. Anything too big I can get my truck or have it delivered. Most of these unibody “trucks” are designed to be people carriers first and pickups second.
As long as you understand what you are buying I don’t see a issue. It’s no different than the douche who buys a 1/2 ton and proudly brags how he’s doing 3/4 ton work. All the while absolutely killing that 1/2 ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or