U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 AM

596 posts, read 253,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ford is coming out with a smaller-than-Ranger version, codenamed P758.
It is based on the Focus I beleive and as the new Focus is not sold or made in the US it is unlikely to come to the US due to chicken tax and the fact the Focus is not sold in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM

256 posts, read 42,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
It is based on the Focus I beleive and as the new Focus is not sold or made in the US it is unlikely to come to the US due to chicken tax and the fact the Focus is not sold in the US

The Focus Active is supposed to be coming to the US and this truck as well as that are based off the Transit Connect platform which is in the US already. Ford has said that the new trucklet (posibly named Courier) will be in the US slotting beneath the Ranger.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:13 PM

8,264 posts, read 6,769,205 times
I literally google this thing every day hoping for updates. I purchased tickets to the NY Auto Show for the first time ever on the off chance the production model will be revealed there.

I have about 2 years left with my 2003 Subaru Baja if I am lucky. I want to get it to 200k. After that point I expect another round of maintenance, the costs of which I’d prefer to spend putting down on this or the rumored Ford as my wife’s SUV will be paid off by then 2.5 years early.

My goal is to break down right in front of a Hyundai or Ford dealer and walk away with a brand new UTE!

Not going to argue the merits of this vehicle/type of for the 10th time here. The Hyundai is about 95% coming and the Ford about 75%. Absent some catastrophic failure between now and 2021, one of those will be my next vehicle. And if one of them is offered in EV... wow!!!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
gg

17,388 posts, read 17,668,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Appears Hyundai is going to build a unibody pickup truck based on their crossover. Iím sure other brands will be watching the reception and sales of this vehicle when it comes out.
I think there is a market for the smaller pickup that is more mellow. Not everyone needs a full size, not to mention the amount of them on the road that never haul anything at all, they are just status symbols of some odd sort.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

827 posts, read 374,289 times
I am surprised they (Ridgelines) don't sell better - I get that they aren't the best for heavy duty towing or bouldering, but I will bet that 90% of pickups never see those duties anyways - they're just used as daily drivers and for some occasional simple recreational duties, or picking up some stuff from Home Depot now and then. Ridgelines are though, comfortable, quiet and reliable and get decent gas mileage (i.e. they are very good at being a daily driver), still tow 5,000lb, have some unique features like the trunk in the bed, and I think are a little cheaper than comparable F150s too.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; Yesterday at 04:40 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

25,729 posts, read 61,183,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am surprised they (Ridgelines) don't sell better - I get that they aren't the best for heavy duty towing or bouldering, but I will bet that 90% of pickups never see those duties anyways - they're just used as daily drivers and for some simple recreational duties now and then. Ridgelines are though, comfortable, quiet and reliable, still tow 5,000lb and get better gas mileage than most 4WD trucks, have some unique features like the trunk in the bed, and I think are a little cheaper than comparable F150s too.
They are not comparable to F-150s so they should be cheaper.

however you may be right about use. It does not seem that way to me however. I have a pickup and I use it pretty hard, not every day but often enough to be worthwhile. I also get a lot of requests from charity organizations and friends to help that involves heavy use (mostly hauling furniture). At the same time, I see a heck of a lot of big pickups on the road. If I had to guesstimate I would say one car in ten is a pickup or maybe even one in seven.

I looked at Ridgeline but I found them cramped and uncomfortable and the back seats were particularly bad. However the low payload capacity and the lack of a frame were what really killed any interest i may have had in them anyway.

I often load my truck up beyond its rated capacity (i think, I do not have a scale), pull shrubs or trees out of the ground, drag pieces of very large trees around, haul dirt or rocks, pull stuck suburbans out of the ditch, or our van or other cars out of our driveway. . . . , I imagine I have also towed some things over 5000 pounds (I still do not have a scale though).

Had I gotten a Ridgeline, I would have tweaked the non-frame a long time ago.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

3,571 posts, read 982,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think there is a market for the smaller pickup that is more mellow. Not everyone needs a full size, not to mention the amount of them on the road that never haul anything at all, they are just status symbols of some odd sort.
Well if there were a market for a tiny pickup then why aren’t Ford, GM or FCA not building them so i guess the biggest selling pickup manufactures don’t think there’s a market for them and they know what they can build and sell.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 7,732,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am surprised they (Ridgelines) don't sell better - I get that they aren't the best for heavy duty towing or bouldering, but I will bet that 90% of pickups never see those duties anyways - they're just used as daily drivers and for some occasional simple recreational duties, or picking up some stuff from Home Depot now and then. Ridgelines are though, comfortable, quiet and reliable and get decent gas mileage (i.e. they are very good at being a daily driver), still tow 5,000lb, have some unique features like the trunk in the bed, and I think are a little cheaper than comparable F150s too.
Theyíre about as big and expensive as the F-150 and Silverado but without the towing or hauling capacity.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

8,264 posts, read 6,769,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Well if there were a market for a tiny pickup then why arenít Ford, GM or FCA not building them so i guess the biggest selling pickup manufactures donít think thereís a market for them and they know what they can build and sell.
Except Ford is developing one, which you always seem to ignore...

As to the Ridgeline, its ugly and itís just a slightly smaller version of the midsized pickups. Itís not a true small pickup.

Hopefully the Hyundai Santa Cruz addresses that difference and comes as a true SUV or car based pickup like the Baja was.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

3,571 posts, read 982,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Except Ford is developing one, which you always seem to ignore...

As to the Ridgeline, its ugly and it’s just a slightly smaller version of the midsized pickups. It’s not a true small pickup.

Hopefully the Hyundai Santa Cruz addresses that difference and comes as a true SUV or car based pickup like the Baja was.
We will see if it hits Ford dealerships anytime soon then you all can all jump up and down for joy. Until then you can still dream about a tiny little pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or