U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 AM

3,602 posts, read 1,508,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
^^^^ What he said.

If you're about to be 18 and didn't already have an aptitude and desire for this stuff for years already... You're way behind the curve. Couple that with your "Steam car" thread and lack of knowledge regarding some very basic automotive concepts and I would say that being an auto tech is not in your future.
I forgot about the steam car

Accounting might be a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:26 AM

22,175 posts, read 4,671,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are good tech/voc schools for it. I can't see how attending one is any different from an 18yo with his/her finger up their nose attending a 4-year school to get a degree chosen for no reason except a projection of employment and high salaries five years out.

I agree. That's what tech/voc schools are for, teaching automotive!!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 565,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Here I am trying to think of career choices as a soon to be 18 year old and under current family conditions don't even have money for a permit yet lol

Eventually things will change once I suppose that I get out of the family situation

Anyways, back to the topic, is still worth it becoming an auto tech? How will electric cars for that matter, impact the business?
Being honest with you, most work done in retail-branded garages are boring maintenance work - oil changes, brakes, suspension, tires - and customers are there because they HAVE to be. They're not happy.

Dealerships can handle slightly more complex problems that you can only tackle with a dealer scan tool, but much of the above still makes its way through their doors.

The real experience is working in a diesel shop that does custom work to trucks, or a performance shop for cars. So many different ideas being thrown around and your job is to make customers' dreams come true. The good part is that more customers who visit these shops understand how long this work will take, and will either drive a 2nd vehicle or have backup transportation. Thus, you will end up with an "easier to please" crowd.

You may have to start at #1, work your way up to #2, before you can work in such a shop as #3, but it's something you should reasonably expect to achieve in your 20s.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,409,735 times
Quote:
There are good tech/voc schools for it. I can't see how attending one is any different from an 18yo with his/her finger up their nose attending a 4-year school to get a degree chosen for no reason except a projection of employment and high salaries five years out.
People who are good at working on cars generally start out because they enjoy it and have an aptitude with working with their hands.

The difference is our intrepid OP isn't even starting at zero or a blank slate, they're literally going to have to learn EVERYTHING, in addition to first correcting the knowledge that they think they have, which is actually all wrong.

I know a little bit about working as a mech/tech, and I can tell you he's not a good fit based solely on his responses in his other threads.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:26 PM

5,598 posts, read 1,893,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
People who are good at working on cars generally start out because they enjoy it and have an aptitude with working with their hands.
I wouldn't in any way disagree that an early aptitude for something points to a good career choice. But then again, quite a few 18yo's can't tell their brass from their oboe, so choosing education and a career based on the idea that they can achieve competence is not a rare or unusual thing.

Quote:
...he's not a good fit based solely on his responses in his other threads.
I can't think of any other threads I've read but you could well be right. Still, even a master mechanic had to be told which end of a screwdriver was which, at least once.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM

12,185 posts, read 8,172,331 times
Carpentry or plumbing are highly desirable and better pay over time than auto tech. Auto tech can be a good paying job if you get ASE then work for a big shop but those aren't that easy to get.

You can get paid pretty good if you develop good home remodeling skills and plumbing and most guys are making 6 figure within 3-4 years of working experience doing cash jobs.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM

1,258 posts, read 909,280 times
If I enjoyed mechanic work, I'd go into the military and specialize in diesel or aircraft mechanics. They'll even furnish the tools.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 2,705,640 times
Cars today are increasingly electronic, if you are not comfortable working with electronic devices, you would be happier in another field.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 PM

5,598 posts, read 1,893,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Cars today are increasingly electronic, if you are not comfortable working with electronic devices, you would be happier in another field.
The amount of field repair done on electronic components must be close to zero. Plug in test system, ID dead component, swap black box, sign off on RO.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,508,060 times
Quote:
The amount of field repair done on electronic components must be close to zero. Plug in test system, ID dead component, swap black box, sign off on RO.
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks
The brakemen have to tip their hats
And the railroad bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew
And of whiskey, too
You can paddle all around 'em
In a big canoe
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or