U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 1,031 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at various postings on Craiglist and not sure if it would be a good buy.

This Civic is cheap at $1000 but it says "might need ball joints in the future." Would that be a headache in the future even though the car is really cheap?
https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/...822731203.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:42 PM

8,787 posts, read 6,480,343 times
I'd look underneath.. based on the photos, I'm betting the frame has some significant rust.

That being said... It's $1000. Even if there is significant rust.. Probably worth the gamble.

Old Today, 02:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,948 posts, read 52,347,760 times
Pretty much every car with that many miles will need or at least "might need" ball joints in the future. They don't normally last 200,000 miles and when worn are a major safety issue. The fact that the seller mentioned it probably means he/she is honest and has been told such by a mechanic. You can figure about $300, and another $100 for a front end alignment after. You would still have a car for under $1,500, assuming that the engine and transmission hold up.

Old Today, 02:25 PM

17,232 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Usually if the ball joints are worn out then other things sometimes everything else is worn out. It’s sort of a domino effect. Lower ball joints tend to wear the tie rods ends due to excessive play and sometime the inner tie rods also. That additional excessive movement over time could also transfer to the steering rack itself. All the upper ball joints or the strut plates could be prematurely worn due to the lower ball joints play.
I’ve done plenty of ball joints and it’s rarely just ball joint that needs replacement when worn out.

Oh if you do buy it try to buy the ball joints that hagrease fittings not the sealed no maintenance type.

Old Today, 04:28 PM

1,401 posts, read 427,585 times
I can't imagine any car for $1,000 not needing work of some kind.

Old Today, 05:21 PM

10,210 posts, read 14,674,115 times
It was wrecked. Hood was replaced with not even matching one.
If it says "will need in the future" it means they are barely holding and will fail any time soon.

That's a cleaning and DIY repairs project.

Old Today, 05:55 PM

4,182 posts, read 3,862,112 times
If it needs ball joint, which typically is $400+ and a $80-90 wheel alignment afterwards, dont start ruling out struts, engine mounts, tie rods and other components that might be work too.

Old Today, 08:33 PM

17,232 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If it needs ball joint, which typically is $400+ and a $80-90 wheel alignment afterwards, dont start ruling out struts, engine mounts, tie rods and other components that might be work too.
Not to mention tires, hubs/bearings, cv shafts, bushings, struts and plates, etc. and most important if that ball joint decides to separate as youíre driving it home.

Basically a $1000 car is a beater run it till it craps the bed then dump it. If you get 12 months out of it youíre ahead of the game because we you basically are renting it for 80 bucks a month. Then you can sell it for $500 to some guy who wants a project. Those old Civics are popular with the street racer crowd.

When I look at a car and there is the typical ďthe whatever has been rebuilt but I canít prove it but Iíll say it anyway to hopefully sucker you into believeing it ď claim
Or
ďIt only needs this $10 part (usually surrounded by $1500 worth of work) otherwise itís perfect.

Unless you know cars the one best thing to do if youíre buying a car from a stranger is to take a car to a mechanic and have it inspected. It always amazes me how many of my friends and people on CD ask the questions they should be asking BEFORE they buy the car after the fact.
And if the car isnít in the sellers name WALK THE F AWAY because the person selling the car is doing it illegally.

I donít care how much smoke the seller is blowing if they wonít let a mechanic look at it or therecarecpaperwork issues you walk away. There are so many things under a car that simply cannot be checked thoroughly without having the car on a lift itís pointless to try.

Old Today, 08:47 PM

5,160 posts, read 5,204,655 times
As always. Take to mechanic shop and put on lift. Get a paid professional opinion.

That said. If it passes state inspection now you may get one year use out of it. Is that worth it to you?
Of course, things can break in one year. So do you have extra funds for repairs?

OR

Spend more money and get a better car.

Old Today, 08:51 PM

591 posts, read 544,228 times
Honda is one of those brands that can go way over 180k miles. I have a Honda truck with 213k on it and I spent $2500 at 200k to head towards that 300k mark. Oh, and everything on it still works well, seat heaters and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or