U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,895,187 times

Advertisements

Fortunately, no warning signals have came on yet. The temperature gauge that reads the outside temperature was bouncing up and down a bit.

Immediately after the 1st time it happened and was told rodents had been chewing on the wire harness, I placed fresh cab throughout in my car and regularly spraying the tires with Tomcat rodent spray.

Iím wondering if itís more than that. Both times it happened, I had stayed at at a friendís house. He doesnít live in the best area meaning in a run down area with a higher crime rate. And I was told thereís abandoned cats living near where I park my car. Thereís really no other options to park. I have a relatively nice car so wouldnít surprise me someone trying to tamper my car. Idk how someone can mess up a wire harness though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:34 PM

6,624 posts, read 3,681,222 times
If you haven't killed them or physically secured the car in a garage that has been rodent proofed it will just continue to happen.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:39 PM

819 posts, read 372,884 times
I lived in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood for 6 months. It was a pretty tony area, but my parking for the apartment was in an alley and directly behind a restaurant. Of course their dumpster was out back and would have tons of food scraps. Every time I went to the car, rats would kind of pour out from the engine compartment and stream over the asphalt near my feet (ick) - I think for them it's a temporary source of shelter and if recently driven, warmth. They chewed my engine wiring harness. Was a pricey repair. Fortunately, I moved out to rural northern suburbs... There are also electronic devices that purport to repel rodents... don't know if it would really work, but if it's battery operated and you could slip it under the hood, maybe that would be worth a try.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:54 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,482,889 times
If they got up on top of the engine, they can leave a urine odor and that stays on the engine and attracts them back. I had this when a pack rat continued to try to nest right on my engine and it would chew the fuel injector wires (same spot). Finally, I used soap and sprayed the engine off with a power sprayer and then spayed other soap scented sprays on the engine. They gave up after that. If rats are pouring out of your engine compartment, you need to find a different place to park that is away from the food dumpster.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,503,458 times
Don't worry, you can just plug a code reader into it and it'll magically tell you what the problem is

Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM

what kind of light can I put under the hood as long it is taken out before driving? I know rodents don't like light. Maybe that'd help. My only option is parking outside, unfortunately. Due to living in a COLD climate and recently had ice and snow storms on separate occasions within weeks, my car has accumulated a lot salt around the front grill. Service tech told it's best to use the self-serve wash so waitin' on a warm sunny day.

I looked under the hood and it doesn't look like any rodents are living underneath the hood. I try to drive it as often I can, at least few times a week. The past few weeks, the weather has been horrible, now the weather is being more tame.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 PM

819 posts, read 372,884 times
Mebbe this? Runs off the car battery... "Loraffe 2 Pack Under Hood Animal Repeller Car Rat Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent "
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFXVRMT/

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

will spraying peppermint oil in the front grill area n windshield be area be okay? I stuck a pouch of fresh cab in front grill but didn't put one underneath hood

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

3,776 posts, read 3,035,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I lived in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood for 6 months. It was a pretty tony area, but my parking for the apartment was in an alley and directly behind a restaurant. Of course their dumpster was out back and would have tons of food scraps. Every time I went to the car, rats would kind of pour out from the engine compartment and stream over the asphalt near my feet (ick) - I think for them it's a temporary source of shelter and if recently driven, warmth. They chewed my engine wiring harness. Was a pricey repair. Fortunately, I moved out to rural northern suburbs... There are also electronic devices that purport to repel rodents... don't know if it would really work, but if it's battery operated and you could slip it under the hood, maybe that would be worth a try.
I don't think would have helped the above, but for "a few" rats there are various traps online (see YouTube) that actually seem to work. The kind of thing farmers would invest in, thus a bit spendy. Should I have a garage in a rural area at some point, I'll definitely get one or more.

There are a few rats in PacNW but it isn't a major problem in my neighborhood, else I'd speak from direct experience. The only critters here are a bit bigger and don't mess with cars (cats, racoons, coyotes).

Old Today, 01:47 AM

19,206 posts, read 12,583,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
what kind of light can I put under the hood as long it is taken out before driving? I know rodents don't like light. Maybe that'd help. My only option is parking outside, unfortunately. Due to living in a COLD climate and recently had ice and snow storms on separate occasions within weeks, my car has accumulated a lot salt around the front grill. Service tech told it's best to use the self-serve wash so waitin' on a warm sunny day.

I looked under the hood and it doesn't look like any rodents are living underneath the hood. I try to drive it as often I can, at least few times a week. The past few weeks, the weather has been horrible, now the weather is being more tame.
Primary method of dealing with rats is exclusion; that is to deny them access to a structure or whatever. Short of sealing the under carriage of your ride, best thing to do is park somewhere less infested with vermin.

There are no end of old wives tales about scents, herbs, substances and so forth that will deter rats/mice. As one stated previously; rats have been a plague upon mankind for thousands of years. If any of these "cures" worked rat populations would decrease wouldn't they?

Rats are quite intelligent creatures. It will take more than smells, sounds or whatever to make them move on. When it comes to most instances best that can be done is to remove all sources of harborage, food and water. Without those necessities rats will normally move on of the own accord to find easier pickings elsewhere.

Rats gnaw/chew constantly; they must in order to wear down their teeth. Otherwise the things would continue to grow and eventually (if rat lived long enough) puncture their throat or skull. One major cause of damage from rats is their constant chewing of structure wiring. Often electrocuting themselves and or shorting out a circuit if not starting a fire in process.

Thus if they are going up into your engine because it is a warm nice place to hang out, *and* while they are there chewing on wires, putting "stuff" on same and or in engine are may or may not work. This or not for long as the vermin grow used to new conditions on ground.

While obviously more work one solution is to get those huge rat size sheet sticky traps. Place them under your ride so as rats attempt to climb in (or down), they will be trapped. On the down side you'll have to remove those traps each time want to use vehicle. More of a bummer there might be dead or a live rat or rats caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive