U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 PM

939 posts, read 253,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchwagon View Post
How much would it be to replace the speakers to more high quality sound?
Depends on the car. Tearing into the door panels can be trivial or next to impossible depending on the car. (assuming you are doing this on your own) I've installed systems in Toyotas, Hondas, Jeeps and Nissans with little to no trouble, but getting into the door panels of higher end stuff like BMW, Lexus is a pain and I won't do it. Too much permanent damage if you don't have special tools and replacement parts. Thankfully, all my BMWs have pretty good speakers already.

Good speakers don't have to cost a fortune. I've got a pair of WalMart China Cheapos that I salvaged from junkyard that don't sound bad at all. Got them in a Jeep and they play loud and strong. Big magnets, decent crossover, poly cone. They rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:43 AM

2,651 posts, read 3,179,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Depends on the car. Tearing into the door panels can be trivial or next to impossible depending on the car. (assuming you are doing this on your own) I've installed systems in Toyotas, Hondas, Jeeps and Nissans with little to no trouble, but getting into the door panels of higher end stuff like BMW, Lexus is a pain and I won't do it. Too much permanent damage if you don't have special tools and replacement parts. Thankfully, all my BMWs have pretty good speakers already.
I haven't had any problems removing door panels on any car including BMW, Mercedes and Lexus is just an upgraded Toyota and goes together the same way. I have a set of interior panel tools that didn't cost all that much that makes popping the retainers easier and keeps from breaking them if used properly. The most important thing is to just do your research on where all the retainers and screws are hidden and how to access them and if you need to remove any trim pieces. Once you have that information, it is pretty simple to remove most any door panel.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

1,050 posts, read 516,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That is not a very accurate statement. There is actually a huge difference in head units. As others have mentioned, Kenwood makes different levels of head units. Their lower priced entry models are still good but they have all the way up into very good high end units. One of the biggest differences is the FM Sensitivity rating. This is what you need to look at to determine how good the FM receiver is and how well it will pick up FM radio stations. There can be a big difference in this area. Also, the software for the user interface has varying levels of quality and sophistication.

Who needs FM, when I now have music on demand.
I went with a mid-priced Kenwood as an upgrade, after reviewing every model made. I must add one of the few things GM did right were fantastic, ear-splitting speakers.
If I installed this same unit in the Prius, I would be sorely disappointed; as their stock speakers are horrible on the 16' model.

Old Today, 09:46 AM

939 posts, read 253,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I haven't had any problems removing door panels on any car including BMW...
You are a better man than I. I 'practiced' removing a rear door panel on a 740 in a junkyard, and the experience gave me PTSD.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

2,651 posts, read 3,179,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Who needs FM, when I now have music on demand.
I went with a mid-priced Kenwood as an upgrade, after reviewing every model made. I must add one of the few things GM did right were fantastic, ear-splitting speakers.
If I installed this same unit in the Prius, I would be sorely disappointed; as their stock speakers are horrible on the 16' model.
Most people still listen to local FM radio stations. I know streaming and playing from playlists through bluetooth connection and all of that is becoming more popular but still, FM radio is used the most so it is worth checking the specs before buying because it will affect the resell value in a few years if you decide to upgrade to a newer unit and sell your current one.

I will admit that GM's speakers have gotten much better over the past decade but still even their top of the line Bose speakers are junk compared to quality aftermarket speakers. I pulled Bose speakers out and replaced them with Infinity Kappa and the difference was immediately noticeable. I know it probably sounds pretty good to you now but if you were to upgrade to quality speakers you would probably be surprised. I have stripped all of the Bose systems out of almost all of my vehicles. In the car customization world you often hear/see Bose called "Blows." lol

Old Today, 11:00 AM

2,504 posts, read 1,405,097 times
Bose speakers suck. Where Bose does a good job though, is in their custom enclosures for a vehicle. I've had a few cars with Bose speakers, usually the driver is crap, but it's mated to a ported box that is designed to work with that particular vehicle. I've always gotten better sound by replacing the Bose speaker with an aftermarket one but keeping the same enclosure. Sometimes though, it's not worth keeping the enclosure if you can upgrade to a much larger speaker.

My 911 turbo had a Bose audio upgrade, a shelf subwoofer mounted in the back seat in a custom carpeted enclosure. It sounded ok... it sounds a helluva lot better now that I replaced the drivers with JL's.

Old Today, 04:48 PM

256 posts, read 41,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
You are a better man than I. I 'practiced' removing a rear door panel on a 740 in a junkyard, and the experience gave me PTSD.
I did the rear window regulators in my '98 740iL. Not a problem to remove the door panels. A lot of guys completely redo the interiors of those cars, combining the black and other interior colors and taking them apart is actually pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or