U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 PM

16 posts, read 8,654 times

Advertisements

I want a truck to haul random things around. Like gas cans, firewood, furniture, tools for work, mountain bikes, skis etc. I have the opportunity to get a 1996 Tacoma xtra cab 4X4 4cylinder 5 speed manual, with 139,000 miles. Im wondering if I should get a newer vehicle or you think this is a good choice. I need 4X4 and at least 20 mpgs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 01:29 AM

3,776 posts, read 3,037,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnow92 View Post
I want a truck to haul random things around. Like gas cans, firewood, furniture, tools for work, mountain bikes, skis etc. I have the opportunity to get a 1996 Tacoma xtra cab 4X4 4cylinder 5 speed manual, with 139,000 miles. Im wondering if I should get a newer vehicle or you think this is a good choice. I need 4X4 and at least 20 mpgs
For ....how much?

I went to Car Gurus, thirty seconds. Pulled up Tacomas (I have a Gen II '07, btw, thus of interest to me too). Filtered to 1996. This point in time, 21 results nationally, 2wd and 4x4. Four minutes, just out of curiosity.

Mileage from c. 50s- c. 300K. They bottom out in price at $4K, most closer to $5k w/beaucoup miles. Few if any lower, many higher. Therefore, the market has decided there is a floor for runners of that age, right?

Hope that helps. I do believe Car Gurus has price aggregators and such, too, though I'm a little too disinterested to look at the advanced research features. If they could break it down regionally, you'd have a bargaining baseline for "asking" in your region...that would be valuable for the consumer.

Personally, I'd buy a Gen II because the Gen I were crude ___t, though high quality and long-running crude __t. Your call. Gen II's were I believe 2005 onward. Would I buy one, a 4x4, for utility? Personally no, see previous, and I owned one (an '04, last of the Gen I, for three years). You, maybe, after a PPI, and you'll sleep well at night. The four cylinder is less crude than that damn V6. I traded the filthy V6 Gen I for a Gen II 2wd XRunner three years later, which I've now had for 12 years and zero intention of getting rid of it.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 AM

17,237 posts, read 18,677,325 times
Quote:
You may be close to 20 mpg out of that combo. As long as you leave stock small tires on it. You add bigger tires you’ll lose mpg and power. Don’t expect blinding acceleration or luxury appointments. It’s gonna be a pretty crude vehicle c9mpared to what’s selling today

If the price was right I would snap up that truck in a heartbeat.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 AM

3,461 posts, read 897,624 times
We had a 2001 Tacoma for quite a few years. Five speed, 4 cylinder. It was a really nice vehicle that I enjoyed driving. Never had any mechanical issues with it and I believe it also got about 20 mpg.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 844,165 times
Those mid-90's Tacomas, especially with the 4 cylinder, are bulletproof. As long as you maintain it reasonably and it doesn't rust out, it most likely will be a good truck for a very long time. The only thing that kills these is rust or a bad crash, and even then the engine and transmission will most likely be just fine.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,323,725 times
Tacos run forever. And then some more.

They can rust out though. If it's not rusty, it's a good buy.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
For ....how much?

I went to Car Gurus, thirty seconds. Pulled up Tacomas (I have a Gen II '07, btw, thus of interest to me too). Filtered to 1996. This point in time, 21 results nationally, 2wd and 4x4. Four minutes, just out of curiosity.

Mileage from c. 50s- c. 300K. They bottom out in price at $4K, most closer to $5k w/beaucoup miles. Few if any lower, many higher. Therefore, the market has decided there is a floor for runners of that age, right?

Hope that helps. I do believe Car Gurus has price aggregators and such, too, though I'm a little too disinterested to look at the advanced research features. If they could break it down regionally, you'd have a bargaining baseline for "asking" in your region...that would be valuable for the consumer.

Personally, I'd buy a Gen II because the Gen I were crude ___t, though high quality and long-running crude __t. Your call. Gen II's were I believe 2005 onward. Would I buy one, a 4x4, for utility? Personally no, see previous, and I owned one (an '04, last of the Gen I, for three years). You, maybe, after a PPI, and you'll sleep well at night. The four cylinder is less crude than that damn V6. I traded the filthy V6 Gen I for a Gen II 2wd XRunner three years later, which I've now had for 12 years and zero intention of getting rid of it.

Thanks for the info! The one I can get is $6000 with 139,000 miles and a matching topper. Perfect bill of health from a well known auto shop near me. Yeah I might be better off in a second gen.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Itís $6000

Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM

2,040 posts, read 844,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm surprised anyone would say the Tacomas (or 4Runners for that matter) from 1990 - 1997 are crude. In the 80s, call the tToyota Pickup? Maybe. But that doesn't apply to the 90s (the Tacoma-named models). Much different vehicles.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,592,513 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! The one I can get is $6000 with 139,000 miles and a matching topper. Perfect bill of health from a well known auto shop near me. Yeah I might be better off in a second gen.
I think that's a pretty good deal. My Taco was bullet proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or