U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 PM

9,762 posts, read 4,221,036 times

Advertisements

seems more that people use their phones for music now so stereos aren't needed as much

when phones had fm transmitters before, they could be their own radio station, Bluetooth took over that role but it is same thing. when people want music, almost easier to use phone to find it, plus it has voice command.

the speakers get upgraded, but not the stereo interface part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 980,716 times
Wasn't this question more relevant 5-20 years ago? Newer cars have integrated systems (CAN bus) that makes swapping components for aftermarket a pain. Often times a piggyback device is needed just to placate the system and to keep it from throwing error codes. OEM audio equipment has gotten much better than the stuff they use to put into cars back in the 90s (paper speakers with whizzer cones), and sometimes all you need is a good amp and a sound processor.

My theory is that auto manufacturers have been stepping up the equipment list on vehicles and running up the prices (and margins) in the process. Creative financing options like leasing, >5 year auto loans, deferred interest payments, and relatively low interest rates have tricked folks into getting more than they can afford. A quickly depreciating asset doesn't sound so bad when they tell you it only "costs" $259 a month.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:53 PM

9,760 posts, read 11,674,501 times
Long time friend owned a wholesale stereo equipment business and a separate stereo shop for almost 30 years. Did tons of custom installs, tens of thousands of upgrades. About 8 years back both shops went belly up!

1. Factory stuff got too good, way too complicated. Chrysler 300's were the beginning of the end.
2. National chains got into the business- Best Buy type places with their 0% financing type deals.
3. Trend faded away. I did systems for years, like drop it off on Monday and the install is done by Friday. Remove the whole interior, run new wires/dynamat to stop the rattle/vibration/all new components then add an alarm on top of it.

He did a huge business for dealerships that wanted custom stuff or adding radios/alarms to base model pick ups/jeeps. He had a crew of guys that would take 50-100 radios to a Toyota dealer and install it at the dealership along with power door locks wired to a new alarm. He would have pallets of new radios in boxes getting delivered weekly.

Economy slowed, factory stuff got better and long time customers like me faded away. Trifecta of trouble!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 PM

1,471 posts, read 415,450 times
I just bought a new Dodge and I will be adding an amp and subwoofer, which will take a special device to mate with the stock infotainment unit.

But with the way the infotainment unit is implemented, theres no need whatsoever for an aftermarket unit.
I used to install aftermarket head units and I havent kept up with them since 2008. I have no idea if the aftermarket units can even offer anything that the stock heads units like mine have.

I guess the aftermarket head units will keep demand for old cars, and project cars, but once most of the cars arent being used, the market could decline further for these units.
I think its sad because When I was younger I always used to look forward to upgrading the head units.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 PM

2,336 posts, read 563,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I just bought a new Dodge and I will be adding an amp and subwoofer, which will take a special device to mate with the stock infotainment unit.

But with the way the infotainment unit is implemented, theres no need whatsoever for an aftermarket unit.
I used to install aftermarket head units and I havent kept up with them since 2008. I have no idea if the aftermarket units can even offer anything that the stock heads units like mine have.

I guess the aftermarket head units will keep demand for old cars, and project cars, but once most of the cars arent being used, the market could decline further for these units.
I think its sad because When I was younger I always used to look forward to upgrading the head units.
Before the desire to add wireless streaming audio from phones, it was popular for certain amps to accept speaker-level inputs and make them even louder, or add a sub, but they're not the best quality and far from ideal. It allowed the stock head unit to be used with aftermarket amps.

The systems you speak of (PAC audio is one of the companies) who can tie into CANBUS to mate steering wheel controls and use an unused XM Radio digital input to add a Bluetooth receiver are a step ahead and pretty clever / resourceful to be honest.

Alpine has put a lot of time and effort into designing their "In-Dash Restyle" kits for certain brands of trucks and Jeep Wrangler. Pretty much the only manufacturer with a budget and reputation solid enough to accomplish that and sell the units to make it worth it.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM

2,802 posts, read 1,596,196 times
I just slap a 64GB thumb drive in my truck so that the music is always available. Streaming from my phone is only done with rentals.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 PM

1,411 posts, read 436,742 times
I've always left my vehicles alone, more than happy with the factory stuff.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,213,531 times
Yes. Most cars now, even cheap basic economy cars, have a decent stereo.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 PM

9,282 posts, read 7,736,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I've always left my vehicles alone, more than happy with the factory stuff.
Factory stereos didnít begin to get decent until the 90s and even then those paper cone speakers were still installed in many economy brands. Even a cheap head unit, amp, and cheap name brand speakers sounded better than factory systems from the 90s going back. I was flipping burgers for $3.35 an hour and could afford (gradually piece by piece) to upgrade my stereo. My factory unit today sounds better than those upgrades but the factory unit back then had speaker cones not much better than brown paper bag material.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:42 PM

6,578 posts, read 3,612,354 times
I certainly have no need to change out any of my infotainment systems. Today they're so integrated into the vehicle that you're bound to lose some of the functionality of the system as a whole. On my Jeep forum a lot of guys change out head units and lose some or all of the steering wheel controls, and/or the mic for the Uconnect system no longer works. This is why it's important to do a thorough investigation of the vehicle's infotainment system before you buy, because you may not be able to fully integrate an after-market unit later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive