U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 AM

9,270 posts, read 7,729,704 times

Advertisements

Iíve seen some cars that have most of the controls contained within the infotainment head unit. These things can control how long the headlights remain on after turning off the car, whether or not the horn chirps when locking the doors, whether or not the doors lock (when shifter out of park, when moving a certain speed, or not at all), HVAC controls, and even some driving controls (like a sport mode or a diagnostic function).

Have aftermarket companies been able to include such functionality in their aftermarket systems? If they do make such head units is the price so high that the average person either canít afford it or is too high to consider the change in head unit?

If someone with such a factory head unit wants to improve the sound, would it be more efficient to purchase and install an amp and later aftermarket speakers? If this is the way the market is going, is headunit sales dropping to a point of eventually killing the industry? Are these headunit companies producing factory head units for car brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM

9,100 posts, read 9,555,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Are these headunit companies producing factory head units for car brands?
The infotainment system in my Ford was made by Sony. I was able to upgrade the speakers. As for the head unit, I really don't have any desire to change it out. The integrated nature of it is a lot more desirable to me. In fact, i'm currently looking for an aftermarket double-din for my older cars that best mimic a factory infotainment system.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM

3,776 posts, read 3,037,793 times
OP asks a good question, and the answer is clearly 'yes'.

I just put an updated double DIN Kenwood GPS and stereo, with 6.75" screen, in my '07 Tacoma. Stereos back then were mostly sad, my stock Tacoma's was. I tolerated it four years, then upgraded in '11. Now again in '18.

On a newer car, one the stock system might sound excellent already. The Bose Audio Package on my '15 911 GTS was a $2,100 option from the already tolerable stock stereo, from the factory, and worth it. Nothing I want to do to that, though one of the high end shops claims they can "improve" it for another few grand. I say: maybe, they aren't usually scammers. But...why?

Lot of systems like that out there now. The market must be shrinking. Pretty obviously in (unknown) years all vehicles will have a Tesla-like 17" or so control panel to do...pretty much everything. Upgrade the amp and speakers, maybe. Might be cheaper to do that in a more integrated and tested fashion from the factory, though.

Just my $.02. The market for pocket cams must be dying fast due to cameras like the Pixel 3, latest iPhones, and many other top-end smartphones.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:48 PM

3,776 posts, read 3,037,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The infotainment system in my Ford was made by Sony. I was able to upgrade the speakers. As for the head unit, I really don't have any desire to change it out. The integrated nature of it is a lot more desirable to me. In fact, i'm currently looking for an aftermarket double-din for my older cars that best mimic a factory infotainment system.
As mentioned in another thread, about Kenwood, my 2018 DNX995S is "pretty good." "Excellent" might be a stretch, considering the great UI on iPhones and Android 9.0, but that's about as good as it gets at this time. Something to consider, and many interesting things are buried in there: Nav, stereo, Bluetooth, phone connection, Android Auto, and with an adaptor all sorts of vehicle info too that was just waiting to be tapped. Taps for front and rear cameras, too. Everytime I read the instructions there is more.

It's okay, serves the purpose.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:12 PM

6,630 posts, read 3,681,222 times
Yeah, especially those silly stuck on tablet ones that Mercedes, Audi, Mazda, others(?) have been using lately. Doubt the aftermarket will be making replacements for those.

But updating older cars will still be good business for years to come. I just wouldn't be buying stock.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 14,693,658 times
OP, if you were referring to same features infotainment has vs aftermarket one - NO. OEM system is mated with the vehicle and, in this manner, you can have all those wonders you described. Aftermarket unit simply does not have access to all the data or controls.
That AM may sound better or be more gizmoitic - that I am not questioning. But, not function wise. It has to have matching harnesses, plugs AND be able to talk to OEM vehicle firmware. And this is strictly guarded by manufacturers. Why do you think OEM replacement units cost so much...

Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,954 posts, read 52,392,586 times
Yes, and I have found that the newer stereos don't need replacing anyway. I have no complaints with the sound in my 2017 F150, and 6 speakers are enough. There are no longer many people that that need 2,000 watts of eardrum-busting power to show off as they drive along. There are still a lot of older cars on the road, and there will always be some need for stereos in the classic cars, but not like the old days.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,592,513 times
I have an 18 F150 and I'm more than happy with the stereo. I used Sync a few years back and it wasn't so great. No issues now. I traded a 4Runner and the Entune system in that was crap.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 977,540 times
My wife Kia is UVO by Microsoft the Radio is great have Bluetooth and a CD player and Sirius radio, and all controlls in the steering wheel. Sound systems sound allot better than the cars i grew up with in the 70’s when i put in my own stereo system because am was what you got and ac was an option but i do miss the vent windows.

Last edited by easy62; 02-20-2019 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,762,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
OP asks a good question, and the answer is clearly 'yes'.

I just put an updated double DIN Kenwood GPS and stereo, with 6.75" screen, in my '07 Tacoma. Stereos back then were mostly sad, my stock Tacoma's was. I tolerated it four years, then upgraded in '11. Now again in '18.

On a newer car, one the stock system might sound excellent already. The Bose Audio Package on my '15 911 GTS was a $2,100 option from the already tolerable stock stereo, from the factory, and worth it. Nothing I want to do to that, though one of the high end shops claims they can "improve" it for another few grand. I say: maybe, they aren't usually scammers. But...why?

Lot of systems like that out there now. The market must be shrinking. Pretty obviously in (unknown) years all vehicles will have a Tesla-like 17" or so control panel to do...pretty much everything. Upgrade the amp and speakers, maybe. Might be cheaper to do that in a more integrated and tested fashion from the factory, though.

Just my $.02. The market for pocket cams must be dying fast due to cameras like the Pixel 3, latest iPhones, and many other top-end smartphones.
A factory upgrade is Burmester system, usually in $5k range from base.

I see the industry slowly going away. I have 14 Bose speakers in my Cayenne with a factory sub, it sounds way better then my prior systems I built, plus I don’t care anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive