U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:17 AM

2,810 posts, read 1,962,089 times

Advertisements

Its illegal to modify the odometer. Id suspect an error in the reporting, OR i t could be possible a defect occurred in the dash cluster and a used unit put it, but there must be a sticker placed in the door jamb to indicate this. (At least here, anyways.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM

3,444 posts, read 674,857 times
I have bought (and sold) many cars at vehicle auctions. One is usually allowed to start, put in gear, do a brake stand, but not move the car. One can get a sense of the basics of what works, what doesn't and a heads up on repairs that might be needed.

I then narrow down my choices. Often fleets are good buys. I always budget another $1,500 for repairs, although I have never hit that mark for the ones I want to keep. The others? There were only two, and I just put them back into the auction. In one case I made $300 after all commissions, in the other I lost $500. It's just the name of the game, but I have also bought vehicles I would have for years, and then sell them for not much less than what I had in them.

If you know what to look for, it's a great way to get a vehicle. I have not bought a new one for decades.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:01 AM

6,700 posts, read 3,745,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Its illegal to modify the odometer. Id suspect an error in the reporting, OR i t could be possible a defect occurred in the dash cluster and a used unit put it, but there must be a sticker placed in the door jamb to indicate this. (At least here, anyways.)
Yeah, the cluster actually shows the 23k number. And they do disclaim it's TMU(true mileage unknown). So I don't think they're trying to hide it or anything, just there's no explanation for why.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 2,505,836 times
As is standard in our area. 3 auction lots within 30 miles . One is strictly dealer only. The next one is govt and off lease ( it's often well kept since govt has to have all the service records..but lots of miles). The off lease are also well kept and usually 5-7 yrs young. The last one is a public one that the dealers toss old trade ins.
Ours does not allow starting the car . They have staff that will though. It's basically a visual inspection and you are allowed to pull the tire or touch the engine. Just look.
My neighbor got an unmarked police car ..he had to remove some items to bring it back to private use. It cost him 1700.then another 900 to remove some modified parts and replace it..
I'd suggest the govt auction.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 AM

25,796 posts, read 61,362,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
No. It is illegal to modify the odometer without disclosing the modification.

At least that is the case in the five states that i know the law on the issue.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:31 PM

335 posts, read 166,598 times
A local dealer has an old Venture van for sale which he says he got in Fort Wayne, which is the home of the big auto auction in this part of the country. The car is very clean and has only 86K miles on it in 18 years or so. Starts first try. What bothers me is why was it in an auction? If it's a little-old-lady car, did she trade it in on a new one, and if so, why didn't the new car dealer sell it himself? If it's not, why so few miles (assuming the odometer is not illegally reset)? Can't be a repo, it wouldn't be financed for 18 years, and not a lease return either, they don't lease cars that old.
Perhaps it wasn't auctioned and the local dealer somehow found out about a private party sale 100 miles away.
More likely it was a trade-in or private sale and the buyer offloaded it for very good reasons.
Any other explanations?

Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 PM
gg

17,440 posts, read 17,725,321 times
1. Don't do it. There is a reason those cars are being run thought an auction.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 819,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
A local dealer has an old Venture van for sale which he says he got in Fort Wayne, which is the home of the big auto auction in this part of the country. The car is very clean and has only 86K miles on it in 18 years or so. Starts first try. What bothers me is why was it in an auction? If it's a little-old-lady car, did she trade it in on a new one, and if so, why didn't the new car dealer sell it himself? If it's not, why so few miles (assuming the odometer is not illegally reset)? Can't be a repo, it wouldn't be financed for 18 years, and not a lease return either, they don't lease cars that old.
Perhaps it wasn't auctioned and the local dealer somehow found out about a private party sale 100 miles away.
More likely it was a trade-in or private sale and the buyer offloaded it for very good reasons.
Any other explanations?
If it's a trade-in, no new car dealer is going to keep an unpopular 18 year old minivan on its lot, regardless of condition. It's going to auction.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM

6,700 posts, read 3,745,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1. Don't do it. There is a reason those cars are being run thought an auction.
Yeah, but if the reason was like an odometer rollback and I don't really care about that it would be fine.

Ended up just watching it online, went for more than I wanted so I just passed.

But on the flip side found a good contender on Craigslist.

Old Today, 02:27 PM

286 posts, read 51,071 times
What kind of deals do you get at auctions? Can you get something for $5000 under book? I get my cars for $3000 or more under book by getting salvaged ones. the one I have now was in a flood. It's been great for the past 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or