U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 241 times

Advertisements

I have a 2006 Pontiac Vibe that has had a problem with the check engine light coming on for the past three months. The code reads that it is running lean although the engine runs fine. I wouldn't even worry about it except I want to know if the light comes on for something else that is more serious. So far the fuel systems has been cleaned, the gas cap has been replaced, the EVAP canister filter has been replaced, and the injector O-rings were replaced. Each time the light goes out and then comes back on within 2-7 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,962 posts, read 52,392,586 times
Your engine is getting too little fuel or too much air. There are many possible causes, some are:

• A faulty fuel pressure regulator
  • A weak fuel pump
  • A clogged fuel filter
  • A faulty powertrain control module
  • A vacuum leak
  • Faulty injector(s)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • A faulty mass air flow sensor
You could spend a lot of money throwing parts at it that are not really needed. For about $100 a good mechanic with proper test equipment can pin it down, and give an estimate for replacing the actual faulty part.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 241 times
I've had a reputable shop working on it. They've done three smoke tests. The first indicated it was the gas cap, the second was the smoke was coming up from the EVAP canister, and the third led them to the O-rings or intake manifold gasket.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM

1,103 posts, read 620,093 times
In my Nissan, I got the same error code. It ended up that the Mass Air Flow (sensor) needed cleaning. I bought some MAF cleaner from Advance Auto and cleaned it off...been fine since.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM

8,813 posts, read 6,496,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane123 View Post
I've had a reputable shop working on it. They've done three smoke tests. The first indicated it was the gas cap, the second was the smoke was coming up from the EVAP canister, and the third led them to the O-rings or intake manifold gasket.

I'd suspect the intake manifold gasket before anything else. Little can of brake cleaner spritzed around it will answer the question right quick.

I'm confused.. and hopefully it's in your retelling of it and not the shop.

A gas cap isn't going to give you a lean code. Nor will the evap canister.

What COULD happen is that those items were bad, and they didn't throw codes because it didn't make it far enough to run those tests. It hit the lean code and just stopped running further tests.

BoSox is absolutely correct as well that a MAF will cause it. But, that's pretty easy to check. Hook a scanner up, start the vehicle. that engine is a 1.8L.. At idle, the MAF should be seeing about 1.8L of air passing through. Rough rule of thumb.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM

31,448 posts, read 25,216,712 times
if you are doing the repairs yourself, then invest in a good shop manual and run the indicated tests for each trouble code the pcm throws out.

also you nee to go back to basics as well, check for vacuum leaks, bad grounds, improper voltage getting to the sensors, etc.

remember that the trouble codes only indicate what system is being affected.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,135,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane123 View Post
They are attempting to fix evaporative emissions problems. Those are not the same as "running lean." Why don't you tell us the code(s) number(s)?

Old Yesterday, 02:21 AM

5,010 posts, read 2,518,002 times
When my engine light would go on, my owner's manual said that it was because the gas cap wasn't on tight enough or there was something wrong with the exhaust. The tests said it was an oxygen sensor, which I replaced 3 times. Then it was because I wasn't using the high octane gas I should be using.

It ended up being the damn computer, all $2500 worth of it. And now the oil light is coming on intermittently, even though there is plenty of oil in the car and it's not leaking.

My next car is going to be something from the early 80s or a horse and buggy, one of the two.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

1,143 posts, read 647,468 times
There are some very good engine diagnostic training vidios on youtube. If I can remember the terminology it was about long term & short term fuel trim values and how they can be used to diagnose problems. I just watched a little of it. Seems like exactly where I'd go to troubleshoot the OPs problem. I'm not near the smart TV where I saved the link.

Old Today, 09:55 AM

9,114 posts, read 9,555,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
They are attempting to fix evaporative emissions problems. Those are not the same as "running lean." Why don't you tell us the code(s) number(s)?

I agree. I read "running lean", but it seems troubleshooting was geared towards looking for an EVAP leak?

What's the vehicle and actual code number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or