U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM

649 posts, read 471,978 times

Advertisements

We've got an older (2006) dodge grand caravan with an issue I'm trying to figure out regarding the blower fan and the heat. This has been an issue with the vents in the back of the van (for some time) but now seems to really be affecting the front vents as well. I'll turn the van on and more often than not after turning on the heat to high, I get nothing. It's not a heater issue because I can feel the heat slowly coming through the vents when the car has warmed up but it doesn't blow through them forcefully. Usually within 10 minutes though, the fan will kick on and start blowing the heat out. Sometimes it happens within a minute or two and other times it takes at least 10 minutes for the fan to start blowing even though I have the dial cranked. I don't know if it's a solenoid issue or something keeping the fans from starting up. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 519,224 times
Had same symptoms when my blower motor resistor was failing, a $40 wiring harness and 20 minute job to replace.
Would take several minutes for blower motor to get up to full speed prior to said repair. At times it would slow down randomly.
BTW, I reside in your town: took me years to find a good mechanic.
PM me if you're looking.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM

8,827 posts, read 6,519,970 times
Blower motor resistor isn't impossible, but this would be a rather rare failure type with it. Normally the resistor, you lose settings 1 and 2, but 3 and HI work fine or some combination thereof, or it just doesn't work at all.

My first check would be going to the blower motor, turning it on and checking whether I have voltage there. Then working my way back assuming you do not.

This has the feeling to me of a bad blower motor, with a secondary possibility of a wire shorting out. Perhaps someone in your passenger seat has a habit of kicking their feet up a bit under the dash and has knocked something loose, or rubbed a wire bundle up against something metal and it's making some intermittent connection.

if you have voltage at the motor.. And the motor isn't going. the motor is going. Meaning it's going bad. If you don't.. Track back to the resistor, do you have voltage there? If so.. Check wiring between (Rodents love to live in the blower motor).. If not.. Do you have voltage going in? If so, bad resistor, if not.. Well.. Now we're getting into the computerized climate control systems which.. I don't feel comfortable speaking towards without wiring diagrams in front of me.

My suspicion would be.. Technically TWO bad blower motors, seeing as you seem to indicate you have the dual controls.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 PM

11,052 posts, read 42,213,654 times
I'd be checking out the heater blower relay. Either swap the relay for another or for a simple test, jumper between terminals 30 (B+, 12v power supply), and 87, the power to the blower fan motor. If the blower fan motor consistently starts/stops when you apply/disconnect power, then the relay is at fault. This is a relatively common failure item on these cars.

If the resistor has burned out, the blower will not run at all.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Had same symptoms when my blower motor resistor was failing, a $40 wiring harness and 20 minute job to replace.
Would take several minutes for blower motor to get up to full speed prior to said repair. At times it would slow down randomly.
BTW, I reside in your town: took me years to find a good mechanic.
PM me if you're looking.
thanks, I'll send you a message.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM

206 posts, read 67,042 times
Default Cabin filter may need changing. Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
We've got an older (2006) dodge grand caravan with an issue I'm trying to figure out regarding the blower fan and the heat. This has been an issue with the vents in the back of the van (for some time) but now seems to really be affecting the front vents as well. I'll turn the van on and more often than not after turning on the heat to high, I get nothing. It's not a heater issue because I can feel the heat slowly coming through the vents when the car has warmed up but it doesn't blow through them forcefully. Usually within 10 minutes though, the fan will kick on and start blowing the heat out. Sometimes it happens within a minute or two and other times it takes at least 10 minutes for the fan to start blowing even though I have the dial cranked. I don't know if it's a solenoid issue or something keeping the fans from starting up. Any ideas?

I have found that any changes in the cooling system at all deserves great attention and inspection for at least the next 72 hours. Minute leaks go unnoticed and the damage is done swiftly as you watch the heater gauge climb do to inattention to detail on the first go round. Correct antifreeze via owners manual and being certain the system has been properly and completely filled deserves extra attention as well. You also have a cabin filter that probably needs to be changes. Here's a link on a demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-qmrBtjS4

Old 02-22-2019, 08:07 AM

25,739 posts, read 61,244,210 times
I had this issue and then it quite entirely. There was one fried resistor and some melted controller thingy. For my dodge truck it required removing the dash entirely. It cost $1000 to have someone do it but that also included replacing the heater core, the blower, and fixing a blend door motor.

Lesson learned BTW. If you replace or have the blower motor replaced avoid cheap after market bowers. they are really loud - like we cannot talk or listen to the radio loud.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM

630 posts, read 216,405 times
Resistor pack or the blower. Replace BOTH at the same time before turning the power back on or you chance burning one or the other out......

2006 GMC Envoy. Living with speeds 1&3 after 2 resister packs and one blower replacement.... Have to be a contortionist to replace them.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 1,945,649 times
You dont have it set to Automatic do you? (Does it even have this feature?)

Old 02-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I had this issue and then it quite entirely. There was one fried resistor and some melted controller thingy. For my dodge truck it required removing the dash entirely. It cost $1000 to have someone do it but that also included replacing the heater core, the blower, and fixing a blend door motor.

Lesson learned BTW. If you replace or have the blower motor replaced avoid cheap after market bowers. they are really loud - like we cannot talk or listen to the radio loud.
Ya, this sounds like what happened to the vents in the back. I had a buddy a number of years ago who was super handy with cars. It was the fried resistor which caused the fans to stop working altogether. We replaced it and were good to go. Now the back fans won't start anymore so I suspect the one we replaced it with needs to be replaced (again).
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
You dont have it set to Automatic do you? (Does it even have this feature?)
The back vents have that setting. The front don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or