Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:39 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times

Advertisements

What is it with people who are not smart enough to turn their headlights on at night ? Last night I worked late, coming home at about 9 pm, I saw 5 cars during the trip who either had no lights on at all, or just their parking lights. I am not talking about just at dusk, but hours after it was pitch black. I see this every time I am out at night, some car goes by in total darkness. Don't they even notice their dash lights are totally off ?

One of my cars has automatic lights that come on when it senses darkness, but I still pull out the switch just to be sure they are on. Are these idiots depending on the automatic feature, or just forgetting to turn them on ? Absolutely amazing !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:42 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
What is it with people who are not smart enough to turn their headlights on at night ? Last night I worked late, coming home at about 9 pm, I saw 5 cars during the trip who either had no lights on at all, or just their parking lights. I am not talking about just at dusk, but hours after it was pitch black. I see this every time I am out at night, some car goes by in total darkness. Don't they even notice their dash lights are totally off ?

One of my cars has automatic lights that come on when it senses darkness, but I still pull out the switch just to be sure they are on. Are these idiots depending on the automatic feature, or just forgetting to turn them on ? Absolutely amazing !
People just forget now and then have you ever forget to do something, stupid stuff happens heck I’ve done it before it happens don’t get bent out of shape you didn’t get hit you made it home ok.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Definitely very dangerous - they can't see very well, and others can't see them very well. I don't think anyone does that on purpose, it's a mental oversight. Likely people that had a long day and are tired, or are just old.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I see it a lot in cities with good street lights. they simply do not realize their headlights are not on. Then they get out a ways and start thinking "why is it so dim? I can hardly see. Eventually they figure it out.

Part of the reason is that a huge portion of our population walks in a sleep deprived zombie like state. Almost no one gets enough sleep and that effects your mental acuity. Many people say "I do not need eight hours of sleep, I am good with five or six" and then the drive off without turning on their headlights. Why? caffeine (or cocaine) does not make you smart again when your brain is exhausted, it just keeps you from dozing off.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Another part of the problem is the brightness of the daytime running lights fool the driver into thinking the headlights are on. While this is fine for oncoming vehicles to see the driver it does nothing for rear visibility since the tail lights are off. In brightly lit city streets it’s easy to forget and not notice your lights aren’t on. In older cars the dashboard display is only lit at night when the headlights are on. With today’s vehicles the dashboard display is always lit up.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 AM

680 posts, read 535,002 times
They're probably too busy on their smartphones....or just left the bar

Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In brightly lit city streets it’s easy to forget and not notice your lights aren’t on. In older cars the dashboard display is only lit at night when the headlights are on. With today’s vehicles the dashboard display is always lit up.
That's the main reason. There are others, but that has to be why it happens more often.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Some people are too stupid to even breathe, never mind driving an automobile.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Most new cars have automatic headlights so you don't even have to worry about it. Cars without that feature I'd imagine they were driving in a very well lit area and didn't realize there lights were off. I've made that mistake in the past when I leave a bright parking lot or something. Once I get to a darker area I realize pretty quick.

Last edited by gt87; 04-18-2019 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
With automatic lights the dash lights come on with the headlights. Some folks just give driving their absolute minimum attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive