Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
They filter the air inside the cabin. They also keep the interior a lot less dusty, which is the primary reason I like them, I've had cars before without the cabin filter and they all get a lot more dirty inside, a lot quicker, than newer cars do.

Are they necessary? No. Are they a good idea? Hell yes they are.
Then you must drive with your windows closed all the time, because if you think a cabin air filter will keep your vehicle interior dust free when you open your windows or even opening the vehicle door will let dust in. Like i said cabin air filter only became standard in the 2000 so they are not a necessity, it’s just another way to up the price of a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,180,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Then you must drive with your windows closed all the time, because if you think a cabin air filter will keep your vehicle interior dust free when you open your windows or even opening the vehicle door will let dust in. Like i said cabin air filter only became standard in the 2000 so they are not a necessity, it’s just another way to up the price of a vehicle.

LOL

1. Yes I drive with windows up.

2. I didn't say they were a necessity. In fact, I used the exact same word in my question.

3. Yes, the cabin filter is what is responsible for the rapidly escalating prices of vehicles. Most people have to go from a 3-4 yr car loan to a 4-5 year car loan to absorb the extra $10 part cost. But if you break that down over years, it's not so bad.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
LOL

1. Yes I drive with windows up.

2. I didn't say they were a necessity. In fact, I used the exact same word in my question.

3. Yes, the cabin filter is what is responsible for the rapidly escalating prices of vehicles. Most people have to go from a 3-4 yr car loan to a 4-5 year car loan to absorb the extra $10 part cost. But if you break that down over years, it's not so bad.
I’m old school i love driving with my windows down when i can, even when i lived it in Florida when the temperature was in the 90’s I’ve had cars that didn’t even have ac installed like my 1964 Dodge, we called it 460 air 4 windows down going 60 mph.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:50 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,225,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Anyone ever cut a home AC filter to size, and use it to replace the cabin AC filter in your car? I've researched this on other forums. Some posters give a "green light," while others warn of dire consequences. Looks like a good way to save $20.
I’ll spend 20 bucks all day long to know I’m breathing the best air possible in my vehicle. Of all the things to scrimp on, this ain’t it.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
They filter the air YOU breath in the car. When you turn on the fan in your vehicle, the air blowing out of the vents comes from somewhere. It's either being recirculated from within the cabin itself, (aka used air), or it's being brought in from the outside (aka fresh air). The Cabin filter filters that air so your getting cleaner air with less nuisance pollutants. It also serves to acts to filter the air across the a/c evaporator so it doesn't get gummed up with muck reducing the a/c's efficiency.

As an FYI to all, you should also learn the specs of your cabin air filter as some vehicles use standard engine air filters as cabin filters. One vehicle's engine air filter may be another vehicle's cabin air filter. When labeled as an engine air filter it may be $3 while that same filter in a box labeled as a cabin air filter is jumps to $5.
The air coming in from the outside or being recirculated in the car should not be dirty enough that it needs to be run thru a filter though...and once you roll down the windows or open a car door, all that filtered air becomes dirty again anyway, so...?

The only reason I even clean mine is because I heard it can effect the cars A/C system, if it wasnt for that, I probably wouldnt bother with it, I usually keep a window or two cracked open anyway.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,683,405 times
Quote:
LOL... Yes, the cabin filter is what is responsible for the rapidly escalating prices of vehicles. Most people have to go from a 3-4 yr car loan to a 4-5 year car loan to absorb the extra $10 part cost. But if you break that down over years, it's not so bad.
I appreciate the sarcasm, but believe it or not, Ford sold the Focus for at least 7 years without a cabin air filter. Oh, there was a place for one; Ford just decided not to install it. When you popped the cowl grille panel, you would see a plastic grate instead. It would catch large leaves, but they would eventually break down into smaller pieces, which would drop down the hole. Forget about filtering air. The Haynes manual even shows how to remove the old filter - but there isn't one there.

While you can purchase a filter it doesn't fit properly (even the Motorcraft), and most of us ended up crimping the material in order to install it. Since I broke the tabs on the cowl I had to glue everything together and then seal it. This turned out to be a blessing, as many owners reported water entering the cabin through the the filter passage. Nothing is getting into my cabin now, maybe not even air, as that filter is there for the life of the car (19 years old this April).

Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
Amazon has mine for as little as $6.11, certainly not worth the bother and risk of cutting up a home AC filter for that, or even $20. The flow and particle size captured are meant to suit the application, a house and a car are not the same.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:29 AM

4,876 posts, read 2,973,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I appreciate the sarcasm, but believe it or not, Ford sold the Focus for at least 7 years without a cabin air filter. Oh, there was a place for one; Ford just decided not to install it.

Ditto on Chevy Malibu, and probably a host of other GM vehicles.
An empty space, with none available for purchase.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Ditto on Chevy Malibu, and probably a host of other GM vehicles.
An empty space, with none available for purchase.
So there you have it a cabin air filter is not essential like others think it is , like i said we didn’t have them in the 70’s and the 80’s and 90’s. and i never had any problems with closed heater cores and so on. People today think it’s essential part of maintenance when it’s not and it’s a money maker for the air filter makers.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So there you have it a cabin air filter is not essential like others think it is , like i said we didn’t have them in the 70’s and the 80’s and 90’s. and i never had any problems with closed heater cores and so on. People today think it’s essential part of maintenance when it’s not and it’s a money maker for the air filter makers.
Yes, its similar to turn signal fluid (not really a necessity) LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive