U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:49 PM

1,258 posts, read 909,280 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever cut a home AC filter to size, and use it to replace the cabin AC filter in your car? I've researched this on other forums. Some posters give a "green light," while others warn of dire consequences. Looks like a good way to save $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 04:58 PM

8,356 posts, read 2,086,338 times
The cabin filter in my Hyundai, I just clean it out, spray it with water and let it air dry, works just fine.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:03 PM

367 posts, read 92,898 times
The cabin air filter in my Honda has a rigid plastic frame around the edges. I imagine if it lacked that, it would get blown into the ducting.

For what it's worth, Rock Auto also has filters for my car starting at $2.43.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ir+filter,6832

Old 02-23-2019, 05:22 PM

5,195 posts, read 5,228,534 times
On all of my vehicles the cabin filter is inexpensive. So just get a new one whenever I replace.

Sadly, some don't even know that their vehicle has a cabin filter.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 PM

6,585 posts, read 3,617,263 times
I just order off of Amazon and install myself. That way I have a filter that was designed for my particular vehicle.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 PM

8,356 posts, read 2,086,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
On all of my vehicles the cabin filter is inexpensive. So just get a new one whenever I replace.

Sadly, some don't even know that their vehicle has a cabin filter.
My dad is like that, He knows they exist, but he thinks its just a way to get people to spend money on a useless part, all the vehicles he has ever owned, he has never once serviced or changed the cabin filter and none of his vehicles ever had problems, so Im not sure what exactly they are filtering!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:11 PM

8,972 posts, read 11,031,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
My dad is like that, He knows they exist, but he thinks its just a way to get people to spend money on a useless part, all the vehicles he has ever owned, he has never once serviced or changed the cabin filter and none of his vehicles ever had problems, so Im not sure what exactly they are filtering!
They filter the air YOU breath in the car. When you turn on the fan in your vehicle, the air blowing out of the vents comes from somewhere. It's either being recirculated from within the cabin itself, (aka used air), or it's being brought in from the outside (aka fresh air). The Cabin filter filters that air so your getting cleaner air with less nuisance pollutants. It also serves to acts to filter the air across the a/c evaporator so it doesn't get gummed up with muck reducing the a/c's efficiency.

As an FYI to all, you should also learn the specs of your cabin air filter as some vehicles use standard engine air filters as cabin filters. One vehicle's engine air filter may be another vehicle's cabin air filter. When labeled as an engine air filter it may be $3 while that same filter in a box labeled as a cabin air filter is jumps to $5.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

17,249 posts, read 18,706,993 times
I just buy a new one and install it. I’m not wasting time cleaning the old one. I usually add it to my cart when i shop for other car parts. I’m not gonna **** and moan over $15 bucks

Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM

33,559 posts, read 40,228,309 times
i just threw mine away, ive been driving for 50 years without the need of a cabin air filter which is a rather pointles feature as most of the year i drive with windows open.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

9,285 posts, read 7,739,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i just threw mine away, ive been driving for 50 years without the need of a cabin air filter which is a rather pointles feature as most of the year i drive with windows open.
Iím glad to have a cabin air filter. Some of the local farmers burn their fields every year. While the filter may not prevent the smell, it can prevent larger particles from passing through to the heater core. Burnt plant material fall all over the cities and towns depending on the direction of the wind. In spring tree pollen gets so thick our boiler room concrete floor turns yellow from the pollen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or