Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have Ford’s and Jeeps and I would say the polar opposite. My Ford is the only vehicle I’ve owned in 20 years that drips oil in the driveway. And the whole “swollen lug nut” thing makes me wonder other design they overlooked.
JFYI the swollen lug nut thing is not exclusive to Ford and if I am not mistaken goes back decades.

I definately can understand your frustration with the leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
JFYI the swollen lug nut thing is not exclusive to Ford and if I am not mistaken goes back decades.

I definately can understand your frustration with the leak.
The issue itself is one thing, Ford’s response to it is another. Not covered by warranty (they consider it a “wear” item) and they simply replace it with another crappy lug nut. It’s also coincidently the world’s most expensive lug nuts.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The issue itself is one thing, Ford’s response to it is another. Not covered by warranty (they consider it a “wear” item) and they simply replace it with another crappy lug nut. It’s also coincidently the world’s most expensive lug nuts.
So, why would you buy their crappy replacement lug nut instead of buying some good aftermarket ones?
A set of top quality lug nuts that you'd never have to worry about is around 50 bucks. Adequate ones are 25 bucks.
Ford's idea of highway robbery is about 125 bucks for the same crap that went bad.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
If you needed a vehicle RIGHT NOW and didn’t need three rows, I would get a GC. I would probably get a Traverse or Telluride/Palisade over either one though.

If you can wait a few months, I would definitely get the Explorer. It’s moving to a RWD platform and should handle beautifully.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
We have an explorer, and it is about as perfect as you can get.

Another thought, the police car of choice, today is the Explorer in the 50 largest cities over half of all police cars are Explorers, and as more cars are being retired they are being replaced with Explorers.

As a cousin who was in charge of all vehicles for a large county and a brother in law that was over all cars for the city, at the same time explained it to me, the criteria for buying cars for the police and sheriffs departments were, first being able to do the job, safely, and required the least maintenance costs which is a very important factor, and get a good resale value when they sold them. The cooperated buying together to get the best volume price.

That is how the people that select cars for the police departments look at vehicle, and they are selecting explorers. They can safely handle hot car chases up to 150 miles per hour with rapid acceleration. Which says they are safe on the road and not those dangerous roll over vehicles that the SUV/Pickup haters claim them to be.

If the Jeep was the best of the two, that is what the police would be buying.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
The Jeep has a little higher step-in height and if you are a short person you won't like it. My Dad has one and my Mom doesn't like it. It also rides rougher than the Explorer and handles worse due to the higher center of gravity. It also doesn't feel as fast (acceleration-wise) as the Explorer when spec'd with similar power combinations but I agree it the interior seems less-plasticky than the Explorer.

Reliability-wise, I'd pick the Explorer. My Dad's had two Grand Cherokees over the past 5 years and both of them had a few nitpicky issues. Those I know with Explorers have all raved about them. My brother's 2013 Explorer now has 110K miles on it and he loves it. Will ride/drive even better once it flips back to RWD.

That being said, I actually prefer the Ford Edge over both those vehicles. It rides/handles great, has good performance and is very quiet and spacious with a nice interior. No 3rd row seat, of course...

Old 02-25-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
So, why would you buy their crappy replacement lug nut instead of buying some good aftermarket ones?
A set of top quality lug nuts that you'd never have to worry about is around 50 bucks. Adequate ones are 25 bucks.
Ford's idea of highway robbery is about 125 bucks for the same crap that went bad.
Of course I bought aftermarket nuts. The point isn't that I should have to buy a cheaper and more superior aftermarket lug nut set. That's Ford's job. Of all the possible lug nuts, they chose the worst possible ones in both quality and cost. Not only that, but they've doubled down and still use them. The logic is so retarded word's can't describe it.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:33 PM

If you need a 3 row vehicle the Explorer is the obvious choice. The Jeep however has better visibility out the back and doesn't feel like parking a school bus. The side mirrors on the Explorer were clearly intended for a Taurus or something other than a CUV.
The interior quality of either on the lower trim levels leaves a lot to be desired. The Jeep has a higher ground clearance than the Explorer but the Explorer has more cargo volume.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I own a 2017 Ford Explorer. I am an older and single (widower) man. Prior to the Explorer I had a Ford Escape. I have never had the 3rd row seats up in my Explorer but I chose it over the Escape and Edge for the added room when the 3rd seats are down as I keep all my golf equipment back there. I also prefer a bigger vehicle with plenty of room. I am very happy with my purchase.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:13 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Valuable tips, thanks again.

A 3rd row of seats isn't something I'll need, but I may be chauffeuring a 70-something relative,
so easier in and out is certainly a factor!

The smaller Fords are made with turbocharged engines, aren't they?
I'd rather not have that... prefer a V6, for simplicity's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive