Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car do you like better?
New Dodge Challenger 42 50.60%
New Chevrolet Camaro 41 49.40%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Either or. Both are nice. Can't wait to see the Firebird come out too.
the firebird name has been completely dropped, they had stated that it will no longer be produced, the Camaro nameplate went on hiatus after the 35th anniversary Camry.

I go with the Camry on this one, it will have 4 engine choices, two 6 cyl. and 2 V-8's.

from all of the articles that I have read comparing the Challenger, Camry, and Mustang, the New Camaro SS blew the doors off of them in terms of performance.

They were not looking for a retro car like the challenger and Mustang, they were looking for a new car with classic style cues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
FYI, 1990 was the last year of the IROC-Z, but the 2nd gen body style continued till '92.

I think the Challenger is ugly, but I don't like the ones from the 70's either. We'll see if Dodge can make the tranny last longer than 50k miles.

first generation Camaros were 67-69
Second Generation Camaros were 70-81, with the return of the Z-28 in mid year 77
Third Generation Camaro was 82-93
Fourth Generation Camaro was 93-2002

Old 08-09-2008, 07:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I am torn as a new Mopar owner and being a former GM gal. I love the fact that Dodge came out with a coupe finally, (IMO the Charger should have had the option), and on the other I am glad that GM still is trying to have "it". All in all my vote will have to go to the long-awaited Comaro, the Challenger is just not very unique in it's styling from the rest of the current Dodge line. Sad. But true.
What essentially killed the 2 door cars was very little demand for the things--------I strongly suspect that extended cab pickup trucks picked up most of potential 2 door car buyers.

As for the 2006+ Charger: I have the stinkin' feeling that they will be high demand collector's items in about 20-30 years (especially the R/T, Daytona and even more so the SRT-8). Note the original Mopar E bodies were all but worthless when new---------few were sold. And 'back in the day', the Hockey Stick graphics were little more than a joke------------now, of course, that same Chally would be worth $$$. Times change.

New Camaro vs. new Chally: I do like the interior of the Chevy but the body is an insult to the original 1969/first generation 1970 (yes, the '1969' Camaro was built till February 1970). At least the Dodge is an honest homage to the original E body--------much like the 2005+ Mustang honoring the 1967-70 'stangs.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
The more I look at that pic of the new Camaro, it almost looks futuristic rather than retro. It's almost as bad as what the cinematic Batmobile did to the original Adam West television version of the car.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What essentially killed the 2 door cars was very little demand for the things--------I strongly suspect that extended cab pickup trucks picked up most of potential 2 door car buyers.

As for the 2006+ Charger: I have the stinkin' feeling that they will be high demand collector's items in about 20-30 years (especially the R/T, Daytona and even more so the SRT-8). Note the original Mopar E bodies were all but worthless when new---------few were sold. And 'back in the day', the Hockey Stick graphics were little more than a joke------------now, of course, that same Chally would be worth $$$. Times change.

New Camaro vs. new Chally: I do like the interior of the Chevy but the body is an insult to the original 1969/first generation 1970 (yes, the '1969' Camaro was built till February 1970). At least the Dodge is an honest homage to the original E body--------much like the 2005+ Mustang honoring the 1967-70 'stangs.
sales years for car are mid year to mid year, so 1970 mid year was technically the start of the second generation and early year last of the first.

the new Camaro was not meant to be a retro of the first gen, they wanted style queues to remind you that it is defiantly a Camaro.

I have a friend with a 69 hemi GTX, very few were built perfect condition numbers matching, it appraised for a little under $300,000 this year very few Camaros would pull in numbers like that, mostly Yenko, Nikey and Baldwin Motion Camaros would command that type of price, but they are aftermarket conversions by third party companies.

I would love to add one of these to my Existing chevy fleet lol. A chevy tracker i know its produced by suzuki, a chevy cavallier, and my baby a 1977 Camaro (very heavly modified in the engine department)

A website I did many many years ago http://www.geocities.com/camarosc77/Right_Front2.jpg

Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
sales years for car are mid year to mid year, so 1970 mid year was technically the start of the second generation and early year last of the first.

the new Camaro was not meant to be a retro of the first gen, they wanted style queues to remind you that it is defiantly a Camaro.

I have a friend with a 69 hemi GTX, very few were built perfect condition numbers matching, it appraised for a little under $300,000 this year very few Camaros would pull in numbers like that, mostly Yenko, Nikey and Baldwin Motion Camaros would command that type of price, but they are aftermarket conversions by third party companies.

I would love to add one of these to my Existing chevy fleet lol. A chevy tracker i know its produced by suzuki, a chevy cavallier, and my baby a 1977 Camaro (very heavly modified in the engine department)

A website I did many many years ago http://www.geocities.com/camarosc77/Right_Front2.jpg
One quick tip off was the true 1969 MY Camaro offered a 327 2V as an option whereas the early '1970' (1969 body) came with the 307 as the base V8.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Camaro.

Didn't they already build that Challenger in the '70's? I'd expect at least some modernization of the style...

Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Camaro.

Didn't they already build that Challenger in the '70's? I'd expect at least some modernization of the style...
I definatly like the Camaro more, but the challenger is a pretty nice looking car. The dodge dealership up the street from me has a black one for sale.

along with the ford dealership across the street from them selling 50-70k Roush mustangs.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
first generation Camaros were 67-69
Second Generation Camaros were 70-81, with the return of the Z-28 in mid year 77
Third Generation Camaro was 82-93
Fourth Generation Camaro was 93-2002
Sorry, meant to say third gen Camaro's were from '82-'92.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:00 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
To be honest, that's a tough choice. The classic lines on the Challanger are more evident on it, than they are on the Camaro.

In some ways, I tend to agree with BHCompy, who said "Chevy just can't get it right anymore, really" - They definitely messed up on the styling for the 1993-2003 model years. In my opinion, the last good Camaro Chevy made was the 1992 IROC-Z.

On the new Camaro.. well, it's too early to say whehter BHCompy's comment about getting it right, applies there. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, and right now all I can say is, I hope Chevy got it right this time.
they didnt make an IROC Z in 1992. they stopped making IROCs in 1990.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive