Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM

356 posts, read 175,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
How would you know about handling if you dont use low profile tires? If 15" inch wheels is your only way to know practical, you have alot of learning to do.

The low profile tires ARE for handling. You keep missing my point and stay in the last century if you wish. Maybe you just cant understand that practical is subjective, and different things are actually practical to people other than yourself, like looks. Such as SHOW CARS.
Being a curmudgeon is also practical to some people, they like lawns.
Have a good day!
Haha, love this! Agree, too.

Let's also not forget that "low profile" is relative. It's an aspect ratio. A wide tire with a 50 aspect ratio won't necessarily appear super low.

It's just so funny how people cling to nostalgia, not for the emotional aspects but they actually think old technology is better. Most of the time it's drastically inferior.

Drum brakes suck. Discs were a godsend.

...Bias-ply tires...

...lap belts...

...leaf springs...

...carbs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:50 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
It sure was nice having 195/60-15s on my old Celica. Tires were dirt cheap and they handled very well. But as has been mentioned brake sizes have grown, which necessitates larger wheels. And brake sizes have grown as the weight of cars has increased.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It sure was nice having 195/60-15s on my old Celica. Tires were dirt cheap and they handled very well. But as has been mentioned brake sizes have grown, which necessitates larger wheels. And brake sizes have grown as the weight of cars has increased.
Does a 2015 Malibu actually weigh more than one from 1975?

I just don't like the feel of lower profile and wider tires & wheels. Too responsive for my driving style.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
How would you know about handling if you dont use low profile tires? If 15" inch wheels is your only way to know practical, you have alot of learning to do.

The low profile tires ARE for handling. You keep missing my point and stay in the last century if you wish. Maybe you just cant understand that practical is subjective, and different things are actually practical to people other than yourself, like looks. Such as SHOW CARS.
Being a curmudgeon is also practical to some people, they like lawns.
Have a good day!
What aspect of handling do lower profiles enhance for you?

The lowest profile tires I drove were 55s on 17" wheels - a 2013 Sonata Limited. Combined with that generation's electric steering issues, the car felt like it wanted to steer itself! Steering was so responsive and twitchy it felt like I was driving on ICE after dark. Never again!

My wife's 2004 Corolla, with 65R15"s, had heavier steering but could be just as responsive if you used some muscle. It stays arrow straight until commanded otherwise. I feel more relaxed behind the wheel of that car than in anything with wider, lower profile tires.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:29 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My next car or utility will likely be the same year or older than my current one.

I want three basic things: Decent handling, a moonroof, and a stereo that plays CDs and has a jack for playing music off a phone. Typical expectations of ten years ago!
I get it now, OP..
You just need a decade to get used to the new technology.

In ten years you'll be pining for a 2018 model, .. and they'll be waiting for ya'!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:41 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man
My next car or utility will likely be the same year or older than my current one.

I want three basic things: Decent handling, a moonroof, and a stereo that plays CDs and has a jack for playing music off a phone. Typical expectations of ten years ago!

I get it now, OP..

In ten years you'll be pining for a 2018 model, .. and they'll be waiting for ya'!

My 2018 doesnt have a CD player, and I dont think that was even an option. Rip CD to flash drive, plug in and play. Waay easier than keeping CD's in the car. For a while car shopping I was fighting the no CD thing. I dont miss it now.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:45 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,373 times
I'm not "Most People".

I will admit, however, that one of my e30s handle better with 70 series tires than with 50's because the suspension is so worn out and hammered. It kinda 'wallows' through the corners. Can't blame the tires for that.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM

356 posts, read 175,929 times
To be fair, the extreme big wheel/baloney skin thing is starting to get some kickback from the enthusiast world, like Car & Driver. They often prefer slightly smaller wheels like 18s or 19s over available 20s or bigger.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I get it now, OP..

Nope! I know what works for me, more than anyone else here. I don't need a tablet on wagon-wheels now, and I won't want a tablet on wagon-wheels in 2028 either.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I'm not "Most People".

I will admit, however, that one of my e30s handle better with 70 series tires than with 50's because the suspension is so worn out and hammered. It kinda 'wallows' through the corners. Can't blame the tires for that.
Have the worn out suspension parts replaced, and an alignment done. Then you'll really discover how that combination handles, plus, your suspension will thank you for more forgiving rubber between it and the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive